Alernator/power steering pump whine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello anyone have any experience with either alternator belt or power steering pump whine? Have an intermittent whine from either the belts or maybe bearing??? Any ideas on cost of either of these items ? Thanks

Pull the serpentine belt and make sure everything spins freely. Idler pulley is a common whiny failure. If it is the idler, you can just replace the bearing, not the whole pulley. It's an sealed NTN 6203. $6 vs. $60 for the idler pulley with bearing.

Cool will try tomorrow. It's funny is that it's intermittent and I can duplicate it on depend but it does happen hey any info on running with this ? Can it seize up or cause a greater problem? Thanks

Mine seized up and broke the belt. It won't do any damage, but you lose power steering and alternator, so you won't make it very far. I'd go ahead and order a bearing and belt, replace as PM, and check the other stuff while you're in there.

While checking the idler make sure the tensioner is working correctly- and note hash marks where the indicator is sitting. I think the tensioner is apt to wear out before the bearing.

so I ran into a friend who is honda mochanic and it actually had the whine at the time; he does not think its a big deal and said if the whine is constant then do the work. little worried about the belt etc cause its all connected. I have to work straight thru till after holiday so will try to get part then. Keeping fingers crossed lol so nothing goes on me :)

Any updates on the whine?

so I ran into a friend who is honda mochanic and it actually had the whine at the time; he does not think its a big deal and said if the whine is constant then do the work. little worried about the belt etc cause its all connected. I have to work straight thru till after holiday so will try to get part then. Keeping fingers crossed lol so nothing goes on me :)

I have a whine that sounds like the PS pump. Replaced PS pump and the whine is still there. I'll try the idler bearing then alternator. I could swear it was the PS pump. At 225k mi it is all PM so no complaints and I get a smile from wrenching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom