Air compressor question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for advise on a compressor here at work. I've got a Craftsman 6 hp 150 psi unit which delivers air to 4 or 5 pieces of equipment. Do compressors like this rely on a one-way valve of some type or simply the piston rings(?) to prevent tank pressure from leaking back out through the piston and cylinder..??:confused:

BTW, it is at least 10 years old but runs well.

I'm thinking there's a valve in the pressure switch, the one that kills the compressor motor when it gets to a certain psi. I could be wrong, what's it doing or not doing?

Simply yes there is a check valve dome where in the system, plus the pressure switch should have an unloader valve in it. Something wrong with it?

Matt

I did some more work on it today. Basically unhooked it from the rest of the equipment, took everything apart, cleaned and reassembled everything with new tape and the compressor on it's own builds and holds pressure fine. Reconnected to the rest of the lab equipment and it kicks on every 3 minutes after losing about 30 lbs of pressure. So, compressor is OK but I need to go down the line and find where it's escaping. All this stuff was installed about 10 years ago so It's probably a good time to reconnect everything anyhow. Thanks Matt!

On the few compressors I have worked on there is a one way valve on the tank. The pump discharge line is connected to this valve. The pump delivers air to the discharge line and enters the tank through the one way valve. If you are loosing 30 psi in 3 minutes that is a BIG air leak and should be easily heard.

Only 10 years old? You got yourself one of them new fangled compressors. The 1946 Saylor Beall is still going strong at my buddy's shop. You'll find that leak and be back in business in no time.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom