Aftermarket stereo install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have pics of how they mounted an aftermarket stereo IN THE DASH?? I want to design a mounting plate that bolts/screws to the dash in the stock location that will make for an easy install with no gaps.

You'll have to do some searches... There was one post where a guy fabbed up something generally shapped like a "L" bracket for each side, where a normal DIN style radio would mount. I got tired of screwing around with mine and installed my radio in a tuffy console but it would be better to have it in
the "stock" location just for operational reasons. But now you can't see the radio in the truck so maybe it's not a good target for someone to steal the radio if they can't see the alpine.

Alpine used to make one that just slid in. Mike

With the way the economy is going and crime on the rise, it might be a better purchase to get a Tuffy and install the fancy schmancy new head unit in the locked stereo compartment. Meanwhile, leave the stocker or a cheap piece of garbage deck in the stock location. Don't ask how I know this...

BUT, if you are intent on installing a new head unit in the stock location, the easiest and best way to install it is to remove the entire dash (not really that difficult, just a few nuts/screws) and modify the stock brackets, actually just do some small cutting and widen the bracket opening and then bolt the new stereo in place. Then reinstall the the dash. Wiring is a breeze with the dash off, and while you're in there you can easily mount a FJ62 style grab bar over the glove box with great ease. ;)

thanks for the replies. would like a tuffy some day but cant afford one right now so i just rigged something for now. did alot of searches and found a couple good ideas. didn't want to take the dash out just yet. probably will when i get some new door speakers though. i used an old plastic head unit frame to fill some of the empty space on the sides and still need to bolt it in from behind. works for now i will post a pic tomorrow.

JLH911, how does that plastic trim piece attach to the dash? did you use an adhesive? i will buy one of these! very clean looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom