African expedition FJ/HJ60 Build for Jesus (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We have all intentions of tack welding anything bolted down so someone has to REALLY want it to take it. Any other ideas for security concerns?

A dab of bondo looks like a tack weld but it is much easier to remove for service purposes.

Everyone lives in a compound with razor wire, a big mean dog and a locked gate but what about when they are out and about for work, shopping etc? Do they have secure parking in those areas? I live on the school compound where I work, when my wife goes to the market I stay with the truck, at church there is an armed guard, at the supermarket there are a half dozen armed guards wandering around the lot all the time.

i think i've asked this before but what kind of time table yall workin toward? when do you hope to ship this noise off?

Awesome that you guys are doing this! As a missionary in Kenya with an HJ60 let me toss in my thoughts. Keep in mind that I have only been overseas for about 4 years, so my views are still "young" and maybe a bit idealistic. LOL!

Mud tires are great for mud, but as soon as the muddy roads dry up you have very rough roads that will be torture on your large lugged tires. Kenya has a much different climate than Liberia, but mud tires have a rough life here since they end up having large chunks ripped off of the lugs by the rough roads. Maybe consider some top end A/T's with chains. Speaking of nice tires, get locking lug nuts and keep your nice tires!

Fill every screw hole on the exterior with caulk, bondo or something to keep people from easily unscrewing the lens covers and etc.

Roof racks: I have a love hate relationship with them. I want one since traveling with kido's usually means not having enough space inside the vehicle, but I refuse to put a roof rack on. They are great for roads that are not in horrible condition and have mostly sane drivers on them. Raising the center of gravity with a loaded roof rack is just not wise (imo) for rough roads with crazy drivers that are unpredictable, or have no brakes on their vehicle, or donkey carts that come out of the brush unexepectedly, or little kids that come running out onto the road to wave at the white guy. In daily driving in Africa, there are just to many different scenerio's that go from bad to really really bad with the addition of a roof rack for me personally to have one on my vehicle. Wow, this is getting long, sorry! Parting thought...the PO of my 60 upgraded the suspension to handle situations like the Colby's will be facing, and for that purpose it worked great. The downside is when you are in the village or the capitol or any other time that you are not loaded to the gills, the comfort is greatly sacrificed (at least on mine). Maybe consider a moderate suspension with air bags. Mrs. Colby will thank you for anything you can do to keep it more comfortable for her and the kids.

Allright...climbing down off of the soapbox now.....just listen to Cruiser_Guy!

Security

WOW, I was just thinking it is amazing how many people have already given us your thoughts! THANKYOU we love it and need all the help we can get!

I just wanted to respond to some comments,

Liberia just finished 15 years of civil war. 15,000 UN peace keeping soldiers were in the country starting in 2003. That number has dramatically decreased, the problem is that the country is still not very secure.

Crimes there are crimes of desperation and hunger. People do things because they need something and they are trying to make ends meet. 85% of people are living on 1 dollar or less a day, so when they steal they are just trying to sell something to put food on the table.

One of the large concerns for us is that our compound is located on a beach, the house we have is 500 feet from the waters edge. We will have night time security, 2 men that will patrol all night. We have will put up some chain link fence, to put the truck in but as of right now the cement wall is not up. With the beach it is hard to patrol and the area has seen many issues, but it is getting much better.

When we go into town most of the places we travel have guards that we pay small amounts to watch our vehicle. There are however places that there are no guards, but I can get a local boy to watch it for 1 dollar.

When we talked to the guys in the A.S., we expressed a need to keep it simple and keep the theft appeal down. Anything from the US gets attention, but the less attention we draw the better. The nice thing is there is always something newer and nicer out there.

Rodroo- great thoughts on roof racks and tires. I am wondering about any issues that you have had with radial tires? We are going to ship two sets and the one set that is not on the truck we want to last until we use it. This is why we are thinking boggers.

On a roof rack, one thing I expressed to the guys was partitioning the roof rack, so we can keep gear in one place and in the center so it won't cause problems. I think this would make a difference.

What would be your recommendations for tires and suspensions. We are looking to put and Old Man Emu heavy duty suspension on.

Someone commented way back about 2H parts availability. I was in Liberia last year for 3.5 months and I saw three 60 series trucks and one was FJ62 and the other two were haggard looking HJ??60's. I am going to say there is next to no parts availibility for the 2H in Liberia. I would highly recommend opening up the 2H and going through it. Here in Canada many 2H's run great up past 400,000kms, but it seems like many suddenly die before 500. I've heard of broken ring lands on the piston(s), cracked heads. It reminds me of Dodge Caravans and how the transmissions always kick the bucket between 130,000 and 150,000kms.

There are tons of 1HZ 70 series, but there are very few trucks older than 10 years.

For tires I would be looking hard at Toyo M55. The are sure to suck in the mud, but I'd rather try to avoid mud/ adjust my driving according than have constant flats. We had some cheap tires on our Nissan Patrols and everytime we went out to Grand Bassa we would get one flat if not two. It isn't really safe to get flats all the time. When we changed flats people always gather, and there is sure to be a few people in the crowd with 'sticky' hands. I had one instance where one guy was causing a diversion and I had to nearly slam the door on the hand of another fella that was trying to lift stuff through the back door as people were getting in. The roads are bad and there is always nails/debris on them. The M55 are a super heavy duty commercial truck tire. We ran them on one ton 4x4 service trucks off-road in the oilpatch. The trucks weighed about 13,000lbs and we had no issues.

You description of Liberia sounds like Guatemala! We regularly hear gunfire and it's not very far away. I think we have increased the height of our fence 2 or three times in the five years we have been here. It's topped with razor wire all the way around.

I'd be concerned about a compound on the beach since that beach side is always going to be a difficult side to secure.

Right now the president is in the middle of a controversy regarding his possible ordering of assasinations to cover up illegal activities!

For tires you might be best with some heavy bias ply tires. That way when you use plugs to repair them you won't be risking damage to the steel belts which can cause severe unexpected tire failure.

On the roof rack, install one if you must but use it as little as possible.

We have not had issues with radials, and in talking with the fellows here they are all running radials with out issues.

You know if you have two complete sets of rims/tires, run your aggressive tread during the rains and the others when you can. I have a hard time imagining that you will have too much trouble around ELWA and back and forth to Monrovia.

Liberiabound: Have you touched base with Steve Kejr on tires?

Rodroo,

Ok, yes I have written Steve Kejr and I am waiting to hear back from him. He is rebuilding generators and tractors right now.

You actually took my thoughts, I was going to mention the possibility of a deep lug aggressive tire for rainy season. Then an aggressive tire for dry season.

We are looking into a set of 16" split rims, 8 of them just waiting to hear what they want for them. This would make that possible!

We are going to start working this weekend, it should get exciting!

We have not had issues with radials, and in talking with the fellows here they are all running radials with out issues.

You know if you have two complete sets of rims/tires, run your aggressive tread during the rains and the others when you can. I have a hard time imagining that you will have too much trouble around ELWA and back and forth to Monrovia.

Liberiabound: Have you touched base with Steve Kejr on tires?

I have only glanced at this thread.... one thing I would do and I have recommended to others about to take a nice built Cruiser into some of the less wealthy parts of the world...

Make it blend in...
in this case... I will make a lot of Cruiser guys scream.... but for a rig that is going to Liberia and is not intended to come back to live in yuppy suburbia.... find a local junk yard who will work with you... drive the rig into the yard and scrape every body panel up against a different wreck in the yard. Leave light dents in ever part of the rig.

Or if that hurts too much to do... swap dented/rusty panels on for the good ones... mis-matched colors even better.

Take the perfect parking lights off and put cracked ones with repair tape on the.

Use rims with the same diminsions but different cosmetics.... put a cracked grill in the rig.... putt out a couple of cans of primer (different colors) and put blotches over the paint.

Once it is there... never wash it

Make the rig look like anything but an expensive plaything belonging to a gringo from the US. The less it sticks out then the less likely it will be pilfered from or stolen.... Cosmetics like this have no impact onthe functionality of the vehicle.

Mark...

I agree with Mark completely. It would almost make more sense to take that rusty old HJ60 to liberia instead of swapping the engine into the good looking FJ60. Patch the holes in the floor and anything that would hinder the truck mechanically, but let the body stay trashed.

That would save time in preparation while keeping it as undesirable as possible.

I agree with Mark completely. It would almost make more sense to take that rusty old HJ60 to liberia instead of swapping the engine into the good looking FJ60. Patch the holes in the floor and anything that would hinder the truck mechanically, but let the body stay trashed.

That would save time in preparation while keeping it as undesirable as possible.

The HJ is way to far gone for this. I kicked it, and two pounds fell off in powderd form.

FJ tear down starts sat. Mucho pics to follow

Hey, when there are '70, '80 and '100 series trucks then the '60 isn't that desirable for thieves any more. I can't say what the situation in Liberia is like but here in Guatemala they steal cars to strip them down not to drive them. If the vehicle is no longer very common or popular who are you going to sell the parts to? It works great for me since the '60 and the '55 were common here once but no so common any more. A 4Runner on the other hand is a theft magnet since it's a popular truck and has lots of interchangability with the mini-trucks as well.

I have only glanced at this thread.... one thing I would do and I have recommended to others about to take a nice built Cruiser into some of the less wealthy parts of the world...

Make it blend in...
in this case... I will make a lot of Cruiser guys scream.... but for a rig that is going to Liberia and is not intended to come back to live in yuppy suburbia.... find a local junk yard who will work with you... drive the rig into the yard and scrape every body panel up against a different wreck in the yard. Leave light dents in ever part of the rig.

Or if that hurts too much to do... swap dented/rusty panels on for the good ones... mis-matched colors even better.

Take the perfect parking lights off and put cracked ones with repair tape on the.

Use rims with the same diminsions but different cosmetics.... put a cracked grill in the rig.... putt out a couple of cans of primer (different colors) and put blotches over the paint.

Make the rig look like anything but an expensive plaything belonging to a gringo from the US. The less it sticks out then the less likely it will be pilfered from or stolen.... Cosmetics like this have no impact onthe functionality of the vehicle.

Mark...

That is a good idea. We are going to leave as many dents in the body as possible, but we are going to paint it flat white. All the trucks owned by non-government organizations are white (UN, peace core, etc). These trucks don't get messed with as much because people know they bring food. We are going to make sure that there is ample covered and locked storage space inside so nothing is visible. No radio, nothing.

Leni

There is one problem with taking in the HJ instead of the FJ, and sending in a junked truck. The problem is that when I look at my arms they are white. I can't change that fact and so no matter where I go I will always draw some sort of attention. The nice thing is that like cruiser guy said it is not as nice as the 70, or 100 series trucks there and it isn't so bad there that when you leave something for 10 minutes it will get stripped of parts. We give someone a little work by watching the truck and we shouldn't have to many problems.

Now with that being said do we want to take in a really nice, really new vehicle NO. Also what ever we take in if it is rusty, living by the ocean is going to chew through that body and frame quickly. If we are going to spend the 5K to take it in, we don't want to send a total piece of junk. We use our heads when there!

Like Leni said we need lots of locked box places inside that make items not visable. Any one got any ideas for making things like this that will allow us to get stuff locked and un seen? I know the guys where talking about taking the tail gate and inner rear panels and converting them to locked storage. . . any other ideas?

Tailgate and quarter panel storage boxes offered by Kevin at WagonGear.com Hands down the best.

Hey, when there are '70, '80 and '100 series trucks then the '60 isn't that desirable for thieves any more. I can't say what the situation in Liberia is like but here in Guatemala they steal cars to strip them down not to drive them. If the vehicle is no longer very common or popular who are you going to sell the parts to? It works great for me since the '60 and the '55 were common here once but no so common any more. A 4Runner on the other hand is a theft magnet since it's a popular truck and has lots of interchangability with the mini-trucks as well.

I second Cruiserguy. There are actually lots of Xterras, 4 runners, and of course 70's, 105's and some 200s, although mostly belonging to NGO's. The first couple are going to be the ones to go. Of course having flashy lights on the bumpers or an easily snagged spare tire is foolish, but no need to smash it up and don't take the HJ, that thing is rusty enough that it'll fall apart when you are negoitiating potholes downtown on Broad St.

Make it blend in...

Mark...

That is a good idea. We are going to leave as many dents in the body as possible, but we are going to paint it flat white. All the trucks owned by non-government organizations are white (UN, peace core, etc). These trucks don't get messed with as much because people know they bring food. We are going to make sure that there is ample covered and locked storage space inside so nothing is visible. No radio, nothing.

Leni

Tailgate and quarter panel storage boxes offered by Kevin at WagonGear.com Hands down the best.

I second Cruiserguy. There are actually lots of Xterras, 4 runners, and of course 70's, 105's and some 200s, although mostly belonging to NGO's. The first couple are going to be the ones to go. Of course having flashy lights on the bumpers or an easily snagged spare tire is foolish, but no need to smash it up and don't take the HJ, that thing is rusty enough that it'll fall apart when you are negoitiating potholes downtown on Broad St.

Thanks for all your opinions...

I have lived in Liberia for 18 YEARS, have imported fj60, fj62, fj80, fzj80....by far the best is the last. I am enjoying the nice "coil" springs on the rough roads. I live in Monrova.....mamba point. Have a beach house near Hotel Africa and bush camps throughout the country. We will have to hook up sometime, maybe at cafe Diana on Center street. Good luck with your mission....

This weekend we:

1. Pulled the motor/tranny/t-case and started separating what will sell and it what is junk.
2. Pulled the front axle
3. Took out the whole interior
4. Scraped up all the insulation to prepare the metal surface for Rhino Lining.

Pics:
IMGP5683.jpg
IMGP5685.jpg
IMGP5687.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom