Add this to the "what were they thinking" file... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my 80 since July. It was owned since new by family in Florida...

it is a '93 - two toned gray/silver.

it has 'factory' running boards (not factory, but they were on the delivery sheet from the SE Toyota dealership, i've found out) that are dark gray fiberglass on a metal bracket (matches the lower part of the truck's color). The metal bracket is bolted to the rocker panel and across to the frame rail.

Last week when we had 5" in NY, I stood on the driver's side rail so that I could clear snow off of the roof, when I immediately found myself standing back on the ground...

the rail was loose (rattled) for some time before I got it, but the bolts all seemed to be well in place.

here's my "what were they thinking" -- the bolts used to hold the bracket in to the frame and rocker (8 holes on each rocker panel) are lag bolts (!!!) that were seemingly ripped into the panels, untreated. Really? :bang::bang::bang:

Good reason to remove them.

Maybe it came out of the Mexican Toyota factory? :)

here's my "what were they thinking" -- the bolts used to hold the bracket in to the frame and rocker (8 holes on each rocker panel) are lag bolts (!!!) that were seemingly ripped into the panels, untreated. Really? :bang::bang::bang:

Those were some type of dealer installed accessory. The "factory" running boards (actually, they are port installed) were secured much better than that. Most on 'Mud still remove them; especially if they are going off-road.

-B-

Need some factory ones... got 'em :flipoff2:

Those were some type of dealer installed accessory. The "factory" running boards (actually, they are port installed) were secured much better than that. Most on 'Mud still remove them; especially if they are going off-road.

-B-

I would have rather had the 'real' 'factory' boards, thus saving 8 holes in each rocker panel.

I don't think i can remove them as :princess: who hates the truck enough thus far would have no way of getting in... (i know what you're thinking... and that's not an option)

I took a trip to Home Depot and put the boards back up using stainless expanding wall anchors. For now, they're in.

Can you post pics?

It is hard to believe that anyone would put expanding wall anchors into their rocker panels; especially in the rust belt. Are you sure they are mounted to the rocker panels?

-B-

Did they drill in to the pinch weld or straight in to the rocker?

Did they drill in to the pinch weld or straight in to the rocker?

ugly drilled hole...

Can you post pics?

It is hard to believe that anyone would put expanding wall anchors into their rocker panels; especially in the rust belt. Are you sure they are mounted to the rocker panels?

-B-

Positively (rocker panel is right below the door, correct?).

As for the wall anchors, I couldn't think of another solution, the lag bolts ripped the metal, so there was nothing left to grip for another bolt to grab. Wall anchors I figured can hold things to drywall without damage...

I'll try to get pics up shortly... likely not tomorrow due to rain.

and the photo finish...

Gents,

below are photos of the fiberglass running board in question with the stainless expanding anchor bolts I used to put it back up:

IMG00004.jpg

IMG00009.jpg

IMG00005.jpg

look at the bright side, they come off easy:meh::rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom