'94 w/ hf2a transfer case grinding and not moving, unless CDL engaged (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

It's been some time, I've not had any real issues on the FZJ80 until today...

My wife called me saying our Land Cruiser won't move and it's making a grinding noise, I get to where she is and try and drive to see what's going on, there is a bit of grinding, I push the CDL and it drives, no noise in park, only in drive or reverse.

I was thinking it was the VC, however, I don't have a hf2a-v transfer case(from my memory) I will check tonight after work to be sure.

Now the crazy million dollar question, what do you think it could be?

Definitely check your birfield drive splines on the front axle. Common failure on 91-94 IIRC.

Definitely check your birfield drive splines on the front axle. Common failure on 91-94 IIRC.

I appreciate the thought, the grinding is definitely in the Transfer Case.

If I could upload the short video my wife sent me I would.

Brutal! I would drain the gear oil and look for bits of gear in it. Good luck!

For sure check the drive flanges, by far the most common failure on the early rigs. With the CDL unlocked and a bit of throttle applied (trying to move, grinding) is one of the drive shafts turning?

Were not there so you can see/diagnose best and not to discount your thoughts but hope for you its not the trans/tcase. A quick check for drive flange is pop the dust cap and have someone watch to see if birf stub spins within the drive flange. Hope thats it for you.

so no moving in reverse without CDL as well?

Ok, I'll have a look at the drive flange first then, just seems to be away from the noise.
ToolsRUs, it wouldn't move, however we didn't try it with more throttle.
Jzf80, The vehicle would move forward and backwards in hi and low range with the center diff lock engaged.
Thanks!
I'll report back later.

... ToolsRUs, it wouldn't move, however we didn't try it with more throttle. ...

Don't need/want it to move, have a helper hold the brake, throttle enough to make it grind, look under to see if one of the drive shafts are spinning.

E-brake to hold the rear wheels?

It is your drive flanges that's why it moves with cdl follow tools advice

It may be worse than I thought...

Popped the drive flange caps as I let it warm up, the second you put it into gear, it starts grinding, have a look at the flanges and the birfs aren't moving, but the front driveshaft is, turn it off check the pinion and it's wobbly.

Damn...

Well front drive shaft turning = in the front axle. Pinion wobbly = not so good. Check the fluid level, drain it, how much and what is on the magnet?

If it needs to be driven, can remove the drive plates and front drive shaft, with the CDL locked it will be functional.

Sure sounds like you'll be getting a new ring and pinion when you rebuild those knuckles. The good news is, then everything inside the front axle will be new, or like-new! :cool:

Sure sounds like you'll be getting a new ring and pinion when you rebuild those knuckles. The good news is, then everything inside the front axle will be new, or like-new! :cool:

Is that an offer Carl? :) would you be interested in setting up the R&P?
I'm waiting for Kurt to get home and have a chat.

I have a good R&P you can have if it helps, took it out to put in 4:88's
I appreciate that, Cruiseroutfitters is only 15 minutes away, if he doesn't have any I will certainly accept yours.

So how did your wife manage to explode the front diff? Was she doing neutral drops? Granny shifting, not double clutching like she should?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom