87 22RE CARBURETED temp gauge problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 87 truck with the 22RE and the stock carb. Temp gauge worked fine before I did a full rebuild on the motor. Put it all back together and now as soon as you turn the key on it pegs out on the Hot side of the gauge. I noticed there are 2 sending units for the temp. One on top of the intake and one in the head. While installing a mechanical gauge in the factory plugged hold in the intake I noticed there was only one strand of wire holding the intake sending unit connector plug to the harness. Then of course it broke. I tried grounding the broken wire to see if that made effected the gauge any but no luck.

I am thinking this sensor/gauge problem may be causing a problem with my stock carbs functions also. Seems to not operate properly when its cold outside.

Any info would be much appreciated!!

you mean 22R. the E means Fuel injected.

I was told by the machine shop that the head came from, that its a 22R but uses the RE head but is carbed... It didnt really make sense but I figured he should know what hes talking about.

heads arent different enough to make a difference here...stock carbs do have an electric choke, but how "cold" does it get in FL? Id fix the wire and replace both sensors they're cheap

I really just wanted to post so I could tell you to post some pic's of your M715!!

what shape is the sender in? The gauge?
unless you can objectively say it's running hot (with a thermocouple or gauge from elsewhere) there's no way to tell if it's the engine running hot or the gauge being crap.

other things to check:
t-stat
radiator hoses after a run

Good luck!

I have a mechanical gauge in the factory plugged hole next to the thermo switch in the intake. The thermo switch wire is broken which im guessing is part of my truck not running well when its cold out. Its been 20's when i get off work at 12-2am, but when I started in today around lunch time it started up and ran fine. This weekend I guess Im gonna check the intake heater cause im thinking it may not be working either. When its cold out the engine hits about 160 degrees on my 11 mile trip home. When its warm it stay between 180 and 185 so it seems to be running at good operating temps. Went to Toyota today for the connector for the thermo and they told me to bring mine in so they coudl compare it. Then none of the local stores had either the switch or sensor... Kinda wasted my morning.

Tomorrow i gotta do poly bushings on my 80 so the little truck has to wait.

85+92 Ill take a couple pics of it tomorrow for ya. Its faded fire truck red with a primer bed right now.

Oh and there is nothing in the motor that is not brand new. I replaced the head, valves, springs, cam, timing set, pistons, rods, crank, bearings, carb. gaskets, seals...everything. No emissions and it has an Lc engineering header, new radiator, hoses, water pump, clutch....Thats why this is frustrating. Im ready to be done for a little while.

call cruiserdan or beno on this board, they should be able to get your part, and get it to you cheaper than what your dealer can do.

Ok you are kind of confusing me here.

assuming you have a 22RE, which in my opinion, if you cant tell if you have a carburetor, you shouldnt even be attempting a repair.
first off, you must know there is a minimum of 3 temp sensors and a max of 4, if you have A/C.
The two paired sensors in the front of the INTAKE MANIFOLD are critical to proper engine operation and fuel management.

the one closest to the engine controls the cold/hot circuit of your ECU
if you have removed it, and that where the mechanical gauge is, take it out. and fix what ever you did. this is a critical sensor. and it defines your truck as running good or extremely poor.

the sensor next to that one is the thermo time switch and it controlls when the cold start injector fires off.

the third one is in the center top of the INTAKE MANIFOLD, its easy to spot it has only one wire. this sensor only serves one purpose, and thats ONLY for the wimpy factory gauge.

and IF you have, had, or otherwise were equipped with AC, then the final temp sensor is on top of the upper coolant hose housing. this is essentially the only place that you should be tampering with installing a mechanical gauge.

wristy he knows it has a carb, his confusion comes from a mechanic referring to as an re because it has the post 85 block and head. hope that made since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom