80' Cruiser - Fuel warning light (AUS) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok we have a 80' Cruiser, 1996 winter edition. Petrol 4.5 litre manual.

The issue is the fuel warning light on the dash will come on from any where between 10-40min at a time. During this time the car is perfect, no issues other than the sub fuel tank will not transfer and of the course the fuel light. The fuel light is not the low warning light, but a larger dash light near the engine light. It can happen at any time, when both tankes are emtpy, or full, one full one empty, does not seem to matter.

Believe it to the fuel system light, covers huge amount of parts.

The car is unmodified, and does get a far but of 4WD / holidays, has done over 220,000kms. Serviced as per log book ect. Very neat clean car.

We have checked all connections and plugs, removed dust and crap, unplugged cleaned, WD40 and re connected.

We dropped in into a friend’s workshop to plug a diag computer in, but they said that no error codes came up, and that no error codes had been stored.
Surely a car with 220,000kms would have at least some errors stored.

If any one could shed some light on what to try next that would be great.
smile.gif

The next stage will be to take it to an auto electrician. But I can see that costing a far bit, and a long time locating and fixing the problem!

Thanks!
Paul

Did you Look under the 2nd row seat under the rug, open the panel clean contacts?

Yep, both sub fuel and main fuel tanks, Just the plastic connectors, not the silicon sealed, ones that attach to the tanks.

Its hard to tell if it's a fuel tank / pump issue, or engine fuel managment system...

We have checked both sides. And becasue the mechanic could not locate any erorrs with his littl computer thing, we dont know what to check next.

The light just says

FUEL
TANK

in red.

Thanks for your input but!

Last edited:
I have found the fuel transfer pump, and solenoid system under the spare tyre. Will check that out this weekend, might be loss or faulty plugs down there.

Any one else have any ideas?

Thanks again

Hmm, fuel transfer pump and solenoid all seemed ok, can hear the pump woking, and solenoid click.
We tried shorting CE1 and E1 and are getting an error code on the dash with the FUEL TANK light of 4 quick flashes then a pause of 4 seconds.

Any ideas what that error code is?

Any one have any idea what the above fuel tank error code might be?

Ive had this FUEL TANK light on the dash lit up for a few years now. I want to remove it, has anyone got any idea where the plug that activates this warning light or do i just pull the globe out. I have nothing wrong with my fuel system, cars been driving fine for 6 years now with the light on

I had this problem a few years ago.

There are 4 silicone sealed wires coming out of the top of the fuel pump bracket that can be accessed from under the 2nd row seats.

I lightly tapped the top of all of them with a small hammer while looking at the low fuel light on the dash. The only response I got was it flickered when I hit the red/blue tracer wire.

A set of pliers and a VERY small turn turned the light off and it now works as it should.

hth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom