80/20 sleeping platform (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you want even cheaper and lighter:

Lay out your top board (1/2" Plywood, Baltic Birch if you wanna be fancy, varnish it if you want it stainproof)
Now get Milk crates and lay them out to distribute weight.
Make a 3/4"x3/4" Cleat screwed to underside of top board to fit inside milk crate.
Put your gear in milk crates then offload when you arrive to destination and put top board back on.
Only bad thing is height can not be adjusted as milk crate is fixed height.

I really like your idea. I got a milk crate somewhere in my backyard and I'll use it to test it out. I'll probably end up buying 3 more, so I can get my 54" wide air matters inside and even.
Sometime this weekend I will play with it and find out how long of a plywood I need for this setup.
Now, I am trying to figure out what would be the easiest way to get all the side and rear windows blacked out.

I really like your idea. I got a milk crate somewhere in my backyard and I'll use it to test it out. I'll probably end up buying 3 more, so I can get my 54" wide air matters inside and even.
Sometime this weekend I will play with it and find out how long of a plywood I need for this setup.
Now, I am trying to figure out what would be the easiest way to get all the side and rear windows blacked out.

IMG_1553.PNG

OP, this is a cool idea. I built a sleep platform for my 92 but haven't put it in my 93 because of my fridge. I like the idea of sleeping in my 80 but always need room for my son and I. I've ditched the second row seats semi-permanently so may have more room to play with...

If you want even cheaper and lighter:

Lay out your top board (1/2" Plywood, Baltic Birch if you wanna be fancy, varnish it if you want it stainproof)
Now get Milk crates and lay them out to distribute weight.
Make a 3/4"x3/4" Cleat screwed to underside of top board to fit inside milk crate.
Put your gear in milk crates then offload when you arrive to destination and put top board back on.
Only bad thing is height can not be adjusted as milk crate is fixed height.
I can attest to the strength of milk crates. I used multiple milk crates stacked to hold a king-size bed above my desk in my dorm room while in college. Wouldn't do it now that I'm older and more fragile, especially considering some of the....uh....activities that occurred while the bed was suspended 6 feet in the air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom