78' 2F into a RHD 75' 45 questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jestlurnin

SILVER Star
Threads
image.jpeg
Hello MUD! I'm in the middle of finishing up putting a 78' drivetrain out of a LHD 40 (2F, tranny, transfer) into my 75' RHD 45. I figured out that the alternator pivot bracket was interchangeable from the 75' over to the 78' (needed to do this cause the wiring for the alternator is on the opposite side in the 45's engine bay from a LHD truck so I got that swapped over but I have 2 more questions.

1. The oil pressure sending unit on the engine I'm swapping in, the 78' is under the oil filter on the wrong side of the engine from where the wiring is in the 45 for the oil pressure ending unit. There appears to be a hole in the correct side of the block that will however accommodate the oil pressure sending unit on the other side of the engine so that I won't have to monkey around with the extending the wiring etc. Can someone definitively tell me if this hole will in fact accommodate the oil pressure sending unit? It seems to thread in but I was under the impression that the oil pressure sending unit would actually have to come into contact with the oil which would make no sense as this hole was "empty" and there are no signs that oil was flowing out of this hole at any time. Would make sense that everything is interchangeable on the blocks o accommodate RHD and LHD vehicles and the different wiring. Maybe I don't understand how the oil pressure sending units work??...

Please see pictures below. 1st one is oil pressure sending unit on the 75' engine. 2nd picture is where I think it goes on the 78' engine after I removed it and 3rd picture is of where the current sending unit sits on the 78' under the oil filter.

Thanks for the help!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Forgot to post the second question! I have 2 options for intake/exhaust manifolds.

Option 1 is the manifold that came off the 75' 2F. It seems to be desmogged and I know works as I used it on the 75' 2F before I undertook this swap.

Option 2 is the manifold that came with the 78' drivetrain. I think I'd need to continue the desmog of it block off where the EGR tube threads in etc.

Anyone have any advice as to which intake/exhaust manifold I should go with?

Thanks MUD members!!

Follow up....from reading a couple posts I believe that the oil pressure sending unit has to come into contact with engine oil and it's not an electrical connection. Which would mean that even though there is a threaded hole in the block where you can in fact thread in an oil pressure sending unit it won't work there as the unit will not come into contact with the engine oil in that threaded hole.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Sorry and pictures of the manifolds... That I have questions about.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Follow up....from reading a couple posts I believe that the oil pressure sending unit has to come into contact with engine oil and it's not an electrical connection.

the sender has to come in contact with oil so it can read and measure the oil pressure but it is an electrical sender it communicates back to the oil pressure gauge by electrical signal not mechanical means

Has anyone ever drilled a hole in the engine block to relocate the oil pressure sending gauge?

Can anyone tell me if the manifolds pictured are F or 2F manifolds?

SH and Rusty thanks much for the info! I figured extending the wiring is where I'd go unless someone told me otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom