'73 FJ40 4WD Light - has a '77 2F, tranny and t-case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have a '73 FJ40 that has a '77 2F engine, transmission and T-Case that does not have a 4WD indicator switch or light. I checked SOR, and they do not have one for a '73. Anyone else have a source for this?

I spoke with SOR, and she said that that year did not have one. During those years - Non US FJ40's did have them. It'd be nice to know if you happened to leave it in 4WD.

Last edited:
+1 for a manual shifter - just look at the lever. If your hubs are out when you try to (slowly) pull it into 4H you will feel catching teeth - if you feel anything, stop and turn in the hubs. With the hubs in I can shift 2H to 4H and back to 2H just by controlling the gas pedal, no clutch needed.

+1 for a manual shifter - just look at the lever. If your hubs are out when you try to (slowly) pull it into 4H you will feel catching teeth - if you feel anything, stop and turn in the hubs. With the hubs in I can shift 2H to 4H and back to 2H just by controlling the gas pedal, no clutch needed.
Yeah, but this is my son's first car. Trying to eliminate as many hiccups as possible. I didnt have a 4wd indicator light on my '84 Scrambler either.

I would think you could easily clooge in a switch on the shift lever assembly so that a light would come on when its not in 2H. The lever position between 2H and 4H is easy to spot. Position between 4H and N or N and 4L is more subtle.

I just make it part of the standard pre-flight check.

Gearbox in neutral, check.
Transfer in 2H, check.
Bonnet latched, check.
Doors actually closed properly, check.

I just make it part of the standard pre-flight check.

Gearbox in neutral, check.
Transfer in 2H, check.
Bonnet latched, check.
Doors actually closed properly, check.

Roger that. 👍👍👍 PCC/PCI….🥷

Could always rig up a lock similar to a PTO winch shift lever from that era. Have to remove it to shift out of 2WD. Just be sure the shift gate is still there to prevent 2WD low. A 4WD light could use a normally open switch that is mounted at the end of 4WD shift rod. Rod moves forwards when shifting into 4WD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom