6th Annual 100s in the Hills - Silverton, CO July 29-31 2016 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

paflytyer

100s in the Hills
Media Partner
Threads
HIH6 IS NOW IN SILVERTON, CO!!!! Page 30 of this thread has all the updates

Registration is FULL. However, we will be pulling from the waitlist and filling a few more spots as we get closer. Please email your request to be added to the waitlist.

info@100sinthehills.com

stan@100sinthehills.com
chris@100sinthehills.com

Old and New Friends,

Finally, it's about that time to start locking down your summer plans!

The 6th Annual 100s in the Hills gathering will be held in beautiful Silverton, Colorado from July 29 - 31, 2016. We always have a waiting list and we've always been able to move all of them to the confirmed list. We want EVERYONE to experience this fantastic event.

As always, this event is reserved exclusively for the 100 Series platform, with a few exceptions. Every year we take calls and emails about why we don't allow others to register for this great event. It's a valid question with a simple answer. This event was created to cherish the 100 Series platform and its owners. For reasons unknown, the 100 doesn't get the respect it deserves from the Land Cruiser community. 100s in the Hills is happy to cherish the underdog of the Land Cruiser world...... IFS and all. We get together to celebrate that and we want it to be a no ego, laid back and easy going event. We were discussing having the 200 series guys with us and host both events together as a Hundreds in the Hills, but the 200 Series gathering didn't like that idea. That's totally understandable, but there are a few of those guys who have asked to join us instead. We're working out those details.

100s in the Hills was created for us to get together and put faces with forum names, learn proper wheeling techniques, meet some of the vendors and generally hang out in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

DSC_0612

With the help of all the great 100 Series owners and sponsors, this has become one of the most popular events in the Toyota and Lexus community. There simply isn't another event that can match our small, intimate size with the enormous following and raffle giveaways. We gave away well over $10,000 in prizes to less than 35 people last year! If you're building your vehicle for this event, please consider using one of our sponsors to buy parts. Let's support those that support us. It's vitally important to the success of our community. We're working out the details to have some of our sponsors offer discounts to attendees prior to, or just after the event.

DSC_0441-2

Everything in this area is scenic and if you've never been here before, prepare to be amazed by the views. We will have trail options that are completely stock-friendly, all the way to challenging trails that will test your sliders and armor. We strongly suggest every vehicle have an AT type tire or better, and a matching spare. Stock road tires are easily punctured from the sharp rocks found in the San Juan Mountains. If you plan on joining the Poughkeepsie Gulch run, we recommend at least sliders and 33's. Multiple trails will be run from Friday through Sunday so it's best to plan on arriving early and staying late to make the most of it.

DSC_0379

DSC_0500-2

Black Bear Pass is one of the highlights of the weekend and you (and your passengers) should be mentally prepared for that trail. Every year there are tears shed from either drivers or passengers. Being nervous is very normal and I still get a little amped each time I start down The Steps. Our 100's are large vehicles and you will be very close to the edge, but there is plenty of room and we will be there spotting the tightest and sketchiest sections.

DSC_0683

DSC_0721

Camp: We will now be based out of Silverton, Colorado! 2016 camp is here: Google Maps

Trails: As mentioned above, we will be doing the standard trails for the area. Black Bear, Clear Lake, Imogene, Ophir, Poughkeepsie, California Gulch and a few others. We usually stick with the most popular trails and plan to do so again in 2016. With only 3 days, we want everyone to have the opportunity to enjoy the "must-see" trails.

Kids: Kids are encouraged! Get them out to experience the great outdoors. We will once again have kids shirts available to purchase. Last year's shirts were from Sackwear and were a HUGE hit. We're working out the 2016 details now.

Pets: Good dogs are welcome. Please bring the necessary tools to clean up after them and remember USFS guidelines require them to be on a leash. It is a little more laid back around camp but we still need to keep them under control. There will be kids running around, screaming and generally having fun. Please make sure your pet is kid friendly and can handle the noise and excitement of strangers and little hands.

2 years ago we had a stray dog roll into camp that was very hungry and very nervous, so please keep an eye on your pets. This is also a primitive mountainous area, there is wildlife around that your dog could tangle with. It's best to keep them close. With that being said, let's talk about bears. We have seen a bear every year for the last 3, but not in camp. We do not have grizzly bears in Colorado, only black bears. While any bear can be dangerous under the right conditions, the chances of a bear wandering into our camp are still pretty slim. It's still important to be Bear Aware. Do not leave food out overnight (this includes pet food) and do not bring snacks and food into your tent. Again, the chances of a bear in camp are slim, but seeing one on the trail is a real possibility. We had a bear in camp every day last year while camping just outside of Ouray, and they are pretty common in the area, especially on the outskirts of town. (This was NOT during HIH and we were camped in a very primitive area about a mile outside of Ouray)

Weather and Altitude: Even though this will be mid-summer, it can get cold. You should be prepared for the nights to dip into the 40s and even 30s (it would be rare to see temps in the 30s that time of year, but it's a possibility). Rain..... Colorado is one of the sunniest states in the country. However, the last three years have proven that HIH is scheduled during the rainy season in the San Juan's. (Last year it rained almost continuously!) Please bring rain gear and be prepared to use it. We will be camping at 8,000+ feet and driving above 13,000 feet on at least 2 trails. Almost everything that we do will occur above 9,000 feet. Acute altitude sickness is a very real possibility while you are here. It's important to know the symptoms and understand the only cure is to descend to a lower altitude. Even going from 9,000 feet down to 7,000 feet will help. (6,000 and below is best) There is some good information about it here. Altitude Sickness

We have had folks pack up and leave every year because they were not getting better. It's important to know the signs. Please let us know if you're feeling any of the symptoms of altitude sickness, especially if we're on a trail. Hydration is vitally important. Start upping your water intake a few days prior to arriving. Just going into Ridgway for a few hours is usually enough to make you start feeling better. If you're coming from sea level, you WILL feel the mild symptoms. Headaches, loss of appetite, trouble sleeping, shortness of breath. I live at 6,000 feet and still sometimes feel the effects of high altitude when I go above 13,000 feet.

Campfires: As long as there are no fire restrictions in place, we will have a campfire each night. This will be the central gathering place after the sun sets. Please bring at least 1 bundle of firewood with you. It's best to buy your firewood as close to camp as possible. This prevents accidentally bringing harmful invasive species into the area. There are plenty of places to buy wood in Ouray, Ridgway and Silverton.

Pot Luck and Raffle: Possibly the most anticipated part of this event is the Friday Night Pot Luck and Free Raffle. Please bring a dish to share that represents where you're from or a favorite family recipe. This is truly a highlight of this event. We also have a Beer's Around the World table. You should bring at least one six pack from your local area to share.
Once our bellies are full and the sun is setting, we will prepare for a fantastic (and totally free) raffle courtesy of some of the best vendors in the 100 Series community. Generally, this happens at about 6pm on Friday, so you don't want to miss that!

This year's registration fee will be determined later as we finalize the logistics. Expect the cost to be very similar to what it has always been. ($75-$125) This includes our permit fees, 1 event t-shirt and covers the cost of camp supplies, kids raffle prizes and gifts, porta-potty rentals, and general camp needs/clean-up.

Registration opened and closed in less than 2 minutes! Thanks for adding to the excitement of this great event. Stay tuned for more info.
100s in the Hills Registration

Be sure to subscribe to this thread for updates on registration and further details.

See you in Silverton!

Last edited:
This year is special for me on many levels. Most you already know that I suffered a pretty severe spinal cord injury last year. HIH5 was the last event that I attended before losing my ability to not only drive, but also walk.

The friends that I've made as a direct result of owning a 100 Series are more important to me than you could ever realize. The number of phone calls, texts, emails and personal visits that I received while in the hospital for 43 days were beyond uplifting. Many of you came to visit me while I was in one of the darkest places in my life. Going from an active outdoorsman, fly fisherman and participant on the trails to being paralyzed was without a doubt, the hardest thing I have ever endured mentally. I could not have done it without the help and support from my close friends, many of whom are HIH participants.

From my Colorado/Arizona/Utah/Texas crew, to my SoCal fam, to my friends in the Who Dat Nation, I could never put into words how much your support meant to me.

100 days ago, I was in a wheelchair with no movement or feeling below my waist. I always felt as though I'd walk again, but could never know for sure. I'm finally up and walking again (semi-pimp stepping, but it's close enough) and even passed my adaptive driving course. I'm looking forward to greeting my old friends, standing on two feet with open arms. I plan on being as close to 100% as possible by the time this event kicks off. I will also be helping out at the FJ Summit and fully plan on handling my trail ambassador duties on Black Bear Pass prior to HIH6. I'm looking forward to leading and spotting our group down, just like always. HIH6 will be a special event for me and I can't wait to see you all in Ouray.

Last edited:
Wow, 2016 is here and HIH VI is coming. I have to admit that getting motivated to get this started, this year, has been a little harder than past years. But now that I convinced @paflytyer to make the first post, I am feeling the energy again. I did not even have time to post and we already had some awesome vendors step up for the raffle!!
When I read through Stan's post it really got me thinking about some great memories and great friendships that I have developed over the years via HIH(s), 1 through 5. Another cool thing for me is that my kids have been coming with me and this is a fun summer trip for us.

I can't say enough how much the participants and sponsors really make this event work. The sponsors graciously offer up awesome items, the participants show support to those sponsors, and that reciprication just continues to work. For myself, Stan, and the past directors, we have always just been happy to see people safely get to the San Juans and enjoy themselves. To date, everything has been very organic, just the way we always wanted it to be.

I look forward to seeing all the HIH veterans and all of the new Hundy guys this year. It is going to be fun, it "may" rain, and you will leave with a lot of great memories.

~chris

Last edited:
Guys,

I'll do all I can to attend, but interested in donating a set of sliders and maybe a roof rack w/ mounts for the raffle.

Please contact me when you have more details. Always nice to support the groups here.

Thanks,

Jason

Thanks Jason, you instantly made a bunch of people clear some calendar dates. Appreciate the support, big time.

~Chris

You can count me in again! Can't wait. Put me down for a front or rear bumpe for the raffle, maybe a roof rack as well. Can't wait to see you all again and meet some new comers.

You can count me in again! Can't wait. Put me down for a front or rear bumpe for the raffle, maybe a roof rack as well. Can't wait to see you all again and meet some new comers.
Thanks Ben! Can't wait to see you and the family out again. Once again, thanks for stepping up so big with raffle items. Take the long way to Colorado so I can watch your travels while I work on my TPS reports at the office.

Thanks Ben! Can't wait to see you and the family out again. Once again, thanks for stepping up so big with raffle items. Take the long way to Colorado so I can watch your travels while I work on my TPS reports at the office.
Thanks Chris!
That's the plan, we will most likely be leavening a week or two before. This year I will be headed up north to Idaho Wyoming then down to Colorado and Utah. Try to stay in the cooler climates for most of the trip. I'll make sure to post pics to make your office time more enjoyable

Thanks Chris!
That's the plan, we will most likely be leavening a week or two before. This year I will be headed up north to Idaho Wyoming then down to Colorado and Utah. Try to stay in the cooler climates for most of the trip. I'll make sure to post pics to make your office time more enjoyable

If you come through Green River, WY I'll buy dinner.

J

Ill be doing my best to attend!

I am planning on it... I will be in the area starting July 8th, camping / exploring but I have to work out the details of extending my trip a few more days..... any preruns ? I hope I can attend this fantastic event !

Yes! Kim and I plan on making it again. This is a fantastic trip! I am so excited, and BIG Thanks again for all your hard work and dedication to the cause!

-Josh

Thanks Stan and Chris for all of your organization, time and effort in making 100's in the Hills such a great event! Your efforts are much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom