40 Project needs . . . . . . (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At one time U-Haul would rent you anything. They got sued for accidents by unsafe towing and have gone the opposite way not even allowing rentals with in the vehicle's towing limits. It would surprise me if they would rent a car hauler to be towed by a FJ Cruiser. Not sure if their trailers have brakes. Maybe surge brakes. My car hauler has electric brakes on both axles.

I work for Uhaul and yes we will rent a car carrier trailer for use behind an fj cruiser as long as the customer declared vehicle being towed does not exceed some weight limit set by the manufacturer specs.

Thanks @KingBeeIII and @Living in the Past , that is the next item on my list is to take copious amounts of PB Blaster to the bolts to make sure they will yield and give up the bumper. I'll report back.

I've towed many things behind my FJ Cruiser using both the car carrier and 2 wheel dolly. I approximated the weight of the stripped down 40 into something the "Brand Orange" rental company website would understand. As long as you adhere to the recommended maximum speed limit of 45mph then it isn't a problem. Also it's not the first 40 I've done this with so I expected similar performance.

Thanks @KingBeeIII and @Living in the Past , that is the next item on my list is to take copious amounts of PB Blaster to the bolts to make sure they will yield and give up the bumper. I'll report back.

I've towed many things behind my FJ Cruiser using both the car carrier and 2 wheel dolly. I approximated the weight of the stripped down 40 into something the "Brand Orange" rental company website would understand. As long as you adhere to the recommended maximum speed limit of 45mph then it isn't a problem. Also it's not the first 40 I've done this with so I expected similar performance.

Things have changed and looks like we are going to be coming back sooner then we planned. Mine requires replacing the bumper like KingBeeIII. Let me know which you want to use. Would like to haul my 70 FJ40 back for the Meet at CBT but my wife isn't up to towing it back and with my cast probably best I don't drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom