4.5" grinders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I just killed another 7.5A Makita after getting it replaced with a new one. It got really hot in my hand and then caught on fire after some extended grinding.

I bought a 10A Dewalt and it seems to be working well. Don't prefer the paddle switch, but it's not terribly too bad.

Metabo's are way over priced IMHO. Grinders are all in the current rating. Just get something 10 amp or higher and be done with it.

I looked at a Metabo the last time I was in Airgas. Meh. I'd put the HD Dewalt I bought earlier this year ahead of it.

Many moon ago my now wife bought me a 7.5amp (or maybe it was a 9 amp) HD dewalt ( before B&D days started) The motor self imploded after abbot 4-5 hours of total run time (folded a brush over on the arm since one of the retainers broke) and though it was out of warranty they would do nothing about. I was kinda broke at the time so I replaced with a green Hitachi from lowes for 40 bucks ( half or less the cost of the dewalt) and I have been trying to kill that thing for the last decade ( I want a Milwaukee, or bosch) granted I am just a home/hobbist kinda guy that lately has only used a grinder 2 hours a year for the last 5 or 6 years. Just saying for the cost the hitachi is/was not that bad

I just buy grinders as disposible items. Have 5 or 6 on hand at any given time and use them until they smoke. This way you don't swap disks or wheels until they are shot or the grinder fails. I'm not a professional though.

Big Makita fan boy, but for some reason I only have the cordless type 4 1/2", the rest are bosch and milwaukee with paddles and variable speed from about 8-10 years old, the new red ones are crap.

This wall will hold 12 tools, 8 little grinders (four cordless on the top) and 4 other long body grinding tools at the bottom, dye grinders, etc.
IMG_6828%20%281%29-XL.jpg

So much easier to change the grinder the change the disc.
IMG_6829-XL.jpg

The 7" and 9" are staying on their own places (I'm just getting old to man handle such beast)
IMG_5333-XL.jpg

I have an older model Craftsman 4.5" grinder that started making a load noise while using a cup wheel to de-rust a mower deck. Took it apart and though there was a bit of grease in it, the gear teeth were dry. I just packed the housing full of Valvoline synthetic wheel bearing grease and it has been fine since. I don't make a living doing fab work, so when a tool I own acts up, I try to fix it first before laying out money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom