3VZ-E Losing Power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I have a 1990 toyota Pickup. 3VZ-E. 174,000 miles. A few months ago the truck would start to lose power when I put a load on the motor. You don't really notice in first and second gear because those don't really put that huge of a load on. In neutral the truck will rev just fine, when I try to get passed 3000 RPM in third (40-45 MPH) is when I really notice it. The truck loses power. My pedal will be to the floor and it will slowly but surely reach about 50 MPH TOP SPEED. After I let off the throttle, the truck will die.

Things I've done.
- replaced timing belt
- replaced water pump (mine as well since I'm there)
- replaced fuel filter
- checked to make sure fuel pump works (it does)
- checked for a vacuum leak (there is not one)

Next steps:
- the truck will start, but I do feel less pressure from the exhaust and it appears to be smelling like sulfur. Im going to take off the Catalytic converter to see if the issue persists.

While that is happening, any other thoughts?

Check compression? Bad TPS? Valves? Vacuum leak? By the way the 95 and older section is where this should be posted.

This should be in Truck Tech for pre 95's.
I used to have a 91 4Runner with the same engine and mistakenly rebuilt the motor.

Could be clogged injectors. Run a can of BG-44k through a tank of fuel. You might consider pulling the injectors and sending them to an injector service company like Witchhunter performance.

Better yet, put a .44 mag slug into the block, and then swap in a 5VZ-FE...

There is a resistance check that can be done to the ignition pack (in distributor). Mine would act up on extreme heat, I finally tested while engine was hot and found to be root cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom