3rd gen 4runner... post OME install... axles leak...AHHHH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, just finished installing full old man emu kit, 2.5" front/3" rear. Drove 5 miles back to the house and both front axle shafts are spewwing grease. They're leaking at the lower clamp of the inboard axle boots.

So, do you think they were brittle to begin with and the new (more severe) axle shaft angle has blown then open or do I need to consider a diff drop to reduce angles/wear, ect. and replace boots. I dont want to fix the leak just to have it happen again very soon if something else is wrong.

thanks in advance, i'll try to get some pics up

Hope the pics work, it's been a while since i've done this.

notice the grey axle grease all over the lower control arm.

285 duratracs going on tomorrow... if I can get it there.
4runner axle leak.jpg
lifted 4runner.jpg

Yup mine did the same thing! At the time I replaced them with new ones from Advance Auto, but looking back, Rebuild the ones you have. Its quite simple.

The hardest part is finding Pipe clamps that fit. I found the ones for the small side at Fastenal, and the big ones at a marine supply shop. The big ones were used for baffles on a boat engine. Once you find those you just need 4 tubes of CV grease from NAPA, some rubber gloves, and something to pour lots of grease into. Oh and a can of brake cleaner.

If you choose to go that route, I can include more detail, just let me know. I actually have one sitting in my work area half apart because I ran out of CV grease and just haven't gotten more yet.

are the boots themselves torn? or did they just loosen off the clamp? if so you can reclamp them, perhaps a bit closer to the joints, so the boot has more flex. cant remember if the clamp only fits in one spot on the axle.

if you wheel alot, id get some vatozone replacements, and throw those in, then rebuild the ones you have with a rebuild kit from toyota. comes with the proper clamps, grease..etc. its an easy job, just messy.

also, definitely look into getting the diff drop kit. if the ribs of your boots are touching at stock height the angle is too severe and they may wear through. the drop kits are only like $30, and half an hour to put in.

thanks guys, the boots are not torn so i'll try swapping in some new clamps. the ribs of the boots are rubbing so i guess i'll be throwing in a diff drop.

can I simply remove the clamps, pack the boot with grease and replace clamps or do I need to do a more extensive tear down of the from axle? i'm a 60 guy and I dont have an fsm for the runner so any pointers would be great.

I wouldn't call it an "extensive tear down"

It sounds hard, but a full re-build invloves pulling the CV out of hte truck, clipping off the two boot clamps, emptying some of the grease out, undoing a snap ring, then pulling the boot off, and the 3 bearing roller thingy, spraying it all down with brake cleaner, and putting it all back together with new grease.

Cut off the clamps and put on some small screw drive hose clamps. You didn't loose enough grease to worry about.

Which coils do you have up front? Did you happen to do some before and after measurements?

sorry no measurements. went with the 881/890 combo. The pic up top doesn't do it justice.

I was curious because that CV angle seems a bit steep for 2.5" of lift.

Had the same problem with only a 2" lift. Got some hose clamps and went right over the top of the factory clamps and no more leak. If you are more than 2" you will most likely eventually wear out the factory boots. Slee offroad offers high angle boots for this that the bellow/fins won't rub. Good luck.

Here's what I used
Napa Part #
CV boot pliers 7769244
CV strap 686-5834
I cut the old ones off and reinstalled these new ones. $18 fix with a new tool.

On my '99 Taco I ran into this also. I put new boots from OReillys and had the same thing happen before long. Took them back for the Lifetime Warranty and changed them again. Broke a snap ring and couldn't find a replacement ring so I got an Autozone axle.

Then I snapped the two smaller clamps off and stretched the boots out past the recess where they are supposed to seat. I then took some heavy zip ties and put them on as tight as I could with some pliers and cut the extra. They've stayed there for quite some time now without slipping back into the grooves where they are supposed to seat. This cuts out the rib rubbing and the grease in. Much easier than replacing the boots again. The Autozone stuff is is a different style and material boot than OEM or OReillys. HTH.

Check into the Porsche 930 CV boot mod....Quick Google of "Toyota 930 CV mod" should get you some good results. I found the best price for a diff drop was for a Revtek kit at Wheeler's Off Road

I would just fix what you already have and install diff drop.

The diff drop takes all of 20 minutes to install, I would agree with cabledude. Just fix what you have and put in a diff drop.

Is it possible that diff oil is leaking and the inner axle seal got ruptured during the install?

OK so what is happening is you just changed the angle of the CV dramatically and in doing so you are giving the grease inside less places to go so it will squeeze out of the boot. If you drive a hundred miles or so and wash it off it will stop. I have installed about thirty of these lifts and it happens on 90% of them. If the boot isn't torn don't replace it. After a while they will tear and the best fix is to go with a high angle CV boot from slee off road. They are more pliable and way better then factory.

Also the problem with diff drops is they only drop the front and starve the back bearing for fluid. And when you change your fluid since you have tipped the diff forward it will now take less fluid because the fill hole is on the front. We actually take all diff drops off all the trucks we get because you have to alter the skid plate and it will only hook up with five bolts instead of seven. I feel they are bad news

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom