3M black brushed aluminum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks terrific! I'm contemplating a black woodgrain in mine. Are those the gray weather tech mats? Are you a fan of the color match, or think black is a better option?

Sent from my XT1565
Yes, they're gray. The match is pretty spot on, mine just happen to be really sandy and dirty from my trip this past summer to Moab among other places. It was such an epic trip I didn't have the heart to clean all the "memories" off of them. The truck is put away for the winter so I'll clean them in the spring.

Thanks. If you'll notice I also replaced the shift knob with a black wood sport one. I tried wrapping my old one but really didn't like how it came out. I attempted to wrap it with the wood still in the knob, and in the process the excess wrap managed to pull some of the dye out of the edges of the knob. So if you attempt to wrap your knob instead of replacing it, be careful.

Hahaha, I said "wrap your knob."

I also think it'll go really well since I have a love for really dark window tint. Hard to tell from the pictures, but all my windows, including my entire windshield, are tinted.

@BlackCat - where'd you get the black wood sport shifter knob? used or new? if new, got the part number handy?

Well I gave it a try today with the 3M black brushed look. I already had the center console apart for something else and had bought the 3M stuff a few weeks ago so I figured I'd give it a shot...

Took a bit more work than I was hoping to get the stuff to look ok. And I def don't have the patience to get this stuff to look perfect... Seemed to scratch easy too. Maybe I got the wrong stuff.....? Anyway, I'm not sure I'll finish the rest of the truck and am going to try and figure out another way to get this stuff turned black. YMMV.

Good from far, but far from good.

IMAG1487.jpg
IMAG1486.jpg

Well I gave it a try today with the 3M black brushed look. I already had the center console apart for something else and had bought the 3M stuff a few weeks ago so I figured I'd give it a shot...

Took a bit more work than I was hoping to get the stuff to look ok. And I def don't have the patience to get this stuff to look perfect... Seemed to scratch easy too. Maybe I got the wrong stuff.....? Anyway, I'm not sure I'll finish the rest of the truck and am going to try and figure out another way to get this stuff turned black. YMMV.

Good from far, but far from good.

View attachment 1211454 View attachment 1211455
It looks pretty good to me! Did you buy the 3M stuff? They make all sorts of different wraps.

Well I had some extra time today while I was literally waiting for paint to dry, so I gave the 3M stuff another try on two more wood panels.... One to left of steering column, and the other above the glove box. Tried a little bit different process this time and I think it turned out much, much better. The two things I did differently is I found a shiny, new razor blade, and, I utilized a heat lamp that I had out putting heat onto my painted items. I have to say, both of those made a *huge* difference in my case. Turned out way, way better than the first pieces. I'll be redoing my first two pieces this way now. Still not sure about the durability of it, but time will tell.

I also figured out that my sheet of 3M isn't wide enough both ways in order to get the "brush strokes" to run the same direction on both the vertical and horizontal pieces on the dash....gonna have to figure out what to do there. Prob just try seeing how it looks with the brush strokes mis-matched.

IMAG1491.jpg
IMAG1492.jpg

Ya, I have directional issues as well, but it hasn't bothered me. Well, not yet at least. I still have my door panels to do once it warms up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom