2nd Gen Tacoma Tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks great. I guess you plan on keeping that bumper for awhile.

Yea, no plan in the budget anytime soon. I'm trying to get to that point where I stop bleeding money on it and go use it. I have the wiring stuff left before the Colorado trip. The CB, lockers so they work in 4HI, fog lights to work with high beams. Need a transfercase skid plate and if I get all that done I may work on a hidden winch mount behind the front bumper but its not a must have for the Colorado trip. I'm gonna run the TAT across Tennessee on my way to the Overland Expo East in North Carolina in October so I'd like to get a winch on it by then.

What else are you planning to do on yours before the trip?

I'm about to start on some Sliders and the same wiring projects you mentioned. I also still need shocks and brake lines.

For convenience, I'm hoping to build a basket off of the hitch to carry a generator so we have power during trips. A bed cover would be nice too since a topper is out of the question.

Clever is coming over this weekend to install his lift and other projects are impacting my resources.

I'm about to start on some Sliders and the same wiring projects you mentioned. I also still need shocks and brake lines.

For convenience, I'm hoping to build a basket off of the hitch to carry a generator so we have power during trips. A bed cover would be nice too since a topper is out of the question.

Clever is coming over this weekend to install his lift and other projects are impacting my resources.

Sounds good bud, on your hitch basket are you still gonna tow the camper off the basket? My brother has that roll-n-lock bed cover on his truck thats nice my Dad ordered one for his new Tacoma as well. Maybe an option for you allow you to lock everything and keep it out of the weather. I know what you mean on time and resources back in January seemed like I had all the time the world to get it ready and now it doesn't feel that way. Looking forward to seeing John's rig with his lift I know he's ready for it :)

Yes, I plan to tow off of the basket. Instead of purchasing a basket and modifying it to work, I am taking an actual 2" hitch extender used for towing behind a truck camper and building off of it. This should be OK because the generator is only 170 LBS and the camper we are renting has a tongue weight of 120 LBS. Even if you cut the tongue weight of the truck in half, we'll still have a bit of wiggle room. We are hoping to buy our own small travel trailer in the near future and I will build a generator mount on it when we do. The basket will still be used when I am using the truck camper though and I may add some steps to it so I don't feel like I'm going to fall out every time the door opens.

The cover I was looking at has 3 sections and folds up against the back of the cab. I didn't look at any roll-up covers, but I guess I should explore that option before I make a decision.

BTW, the TT we are looking at buying is the Keystone Hideout 175LHS. I think the Tacoma should be able to handle it and when we camp locally, I will put it behind the chevy and let the Tacoma pull the 2k# boat.

Yes, I plan to tow off of the basket. Instead of purchasing a basket and modifying it to work, I am taking an actual 2" hitch extender used for towing behind a truck camper and building off of it. This should be OK because the generator is only 170 LBS and the camper we are renting has a tongue weight of 120 LBS. Even if you cut the tongue weight of the truck in half, we'll still have a bit of wiggle room. We are hoping to buy our own small travel trailer in the near future and I will build a generator mount on it when we do. The basket will still be used when I am using the truck camper though and I may add some steps to it so I don't feel like I'm going to fall out every time the door opens.

The cover I was looking at has 3 sections and folds up against the back of the cab. I didn't look at any roll-up covers, but I guess I should explore that option before I make a decision.

BTW, the TT we are looking at buying is the Keystone Hideout 175LHS. I think the Tacoma should be able to handle it and when we camp locally, I will put it behind the chevy and let the Tacoma pull the 2k# boat.

Sounds like a nice plan on the basket and dual function with the step may have to work something where they fold up. I like the Keystone Hideout that's a nice little setup are you going with the bunk floorplan? Curious when you towed the camper did you have to tow it 4th gear? Granted you didn't have the lift and tires then. When I tow 2 - 2500lbs I pretty much have to leave it in 4th gear. Also trying to figure out my valve issues running 87 octane towing a small load I get some valve clatter when accelerating, I switched in some 93 octane and I don't notice it when I'm running the 93.

My Dad was entertaining the idea of pulling a small 5th Wheel with his Tacoma I've been looking for him but hadn't found one he really wants to go look at.

http://www.scamptrailers.com/showroom/19-deluxe-trailers.html#!Untitled__2_

The Escape 5.0TA

I like this lightweight model made in Tennessee
Legacy Elite II Travel Trailer | Oliver Travel Trailers

Roll-N-Lock, my Dad and brother went with. Bolt on and doesn't interfere with the factory track system. Has drain tubes that keeps the inside of the bed dry. Well thought out and made system.
Roll-N-Lock M-Series | M-Series Tonneau Cover

I've seen someone pulling a 5er on one of the forums. I may see if I can find that. I haven't liked into it too much because I eventually want to build a storage box that I can transfer between the Tacoma and 4runner.

As for towing, it did outstanding last time and barely impacted mileage. I use all 5 gears but I do pull the selector to the left when approaching hills. I don't like how the TC unlocks in 5th under load so I try to avoid that even when not towing.

The Aliner we rent only weighs around 1100#, so it's not too bad. I have also pulled my car trailer with a 4x8 trailer on it. No issues there either except for bounce. I'm sure the new rubber will make a difference. We are going on a 6 hour trip next month with that setup and will see how it goes. I hope to get a Trans temperature display working in Torque so I can keep an eye on it.

Yes, going with the bunks in the hideout. The lower one will end up belonging to the dogs.

We plan on traveling a lot more once we get one. I will have a ton of leave to burn with the new job.

I've seen someone pulling a 5er on one of the forums. I may see if I can find that. I haven't liked into it too much because I eventually want to build a storage box that I can transfer between the Tacoma and 4runner.

As for towing, it did outstanding last time and barely impacted mileage. I use all 5 gears but I do pull the selector to the left when approaching hills. I don't like how the TC unlocks in 5th under load so I try to avoid that even when not towing.

The Aliner we rent only weighs around 1100#, so it's not too bad. I have also pulled my car trailer with a 4x8 trailer on it. No issues there either except for bounce. I'm sure the new rubber will make a difference. We are going on a 6 hour trip next month with that setup and will see how it goes. I hope to get a Trans temperature display working in Torque so I can keep an eye on it.

Same here don't care for the TC unlocking under the load mostly why I just leave it in 4th but maybe I'll try manually shifting it thanks for the tip. I'm gonna service the tranny before I head to Ouray and change the filter and run the synthetic fluid.

Where you headed on your 6hr trip? Doing a shakedown run :D I'm planning to do the same. Not a 6hr trip but a weekend trip to either Kisatchie or Sicily Island to see what tweaks I need to make before the Ouray trip.

Yes, going with the bunks in the hideout. The lower one will end up belonging to the dogs.

We plan on traveling a lot more once we get one. I will have a ton of leave to burn with the new job.

Thats awesome bud, the traveling and the ton of leave :cheers: go enjoy it you can't beat those family trips either. I have another year maybe two and my kids (now teens) are gonna be in that place where they can't come with us because of work or school obligations. Still I plan on traveling when its just the wife and I. My parents head off to Alaska for summers and tomorrow they're headed to Nova Scotia for a month not a bad way to enjoy life IMO.

We are going to visit some family in Indiana. We plan to spend the night at a truck stop with the generator running to make sure there aren't any issues with it. Once we're down in Indiana, we may get a chance to test out some off road capabilities and see how things do. I know that I have some rubbing in the front that I might need to address. This is surprising because the front suspension is +4.3 caster.

The plan on the way to CO is to leave early on Saturday and stop in Nebraska right before crossing into Colorado. We will make a few stops along the way to check things out to stretch the legs. We'll probably break the return up over a couple of days as well. The generator will help us keep comfortable during our stays.

Nice, sounds like a good trip. I have the Yamaha generator you saw at SCC I love it fuel efficient and quiet. I take it with me on our trip and chain it to the bed. Can use it to run the electic impact for a tire change or off the grid camping its a worthy investment. I have some rubbing as well to workout only on the DS frot but its an inch lower on that side with the gas tank I have a spacer to put in to level it. Then I wanna go flex it and stuff a tire put it in conditions that we'll experience on the trails to see if I need to do any other trimming I'm hoping I don't have to get into the body mounts but I rather know about it before cutting a new tire up.

I'll stop when I need a nap but plan to drive straight up to Ouray. Plan to check in for noon Sunday. Like you on our way back I plan to hit a few extra adventures in New Mexico :)

Last edited:

Finished it up, now I need to build a receiver with a 10inch drop for towing. I have one for my Dodge but it has a support that gets in the way.

Which Timbren bump stops did you go with Larry? I have a problem...

IMG_20160525_190856_zpsehujfnlv.jpg

IMG_20160525_190756_zpsfkd8igut.jpg

Which Timbren bump stops did you go with Larry? I have a problem...

Whoops, that could definitely turn bad. I went with the Timbren and I really like them its not a hard stop like a factory stop but a cushioned blow :) Needed to protect the shocks from bottoming out too. If you go that route I'll show you a little trick I did to make your life easier getting a socket on them :)

2005+ Tacoma U-Bolt Flip Kit

SuperBump stops from Wheelers maybe worth the cost savings they sound like they're between the cushion of the Timbren and a hard stop.
2005 + Tacoma SuperBump Kits

Have enough extra material so will build one of these with 7 & 10 inch drop adjustments and also make one for a shackle at the end the smittybilt one I currently have is now too short so I'll throw that one in the dodge.
tmp_8881-20160529_120208-12475188.jpg

Nicole and I have been making some inexpensive cosmetic changes to her Tacoma over the past couple of days. She wanted it to stand out a little more.

Black head light mod

Before
IMG_20160528_162055_zpsrpnho9tb.jpg

After
IMG_20160529_113017_zpsdr4et1dd.jpg

TRD Rims aren't in the budget right now, so we tried to imitate them the best would could with the stock rims.

IMG_20160530_120753_zpsi7pftyum.jpg

IMG_20160530_120819_zpsb9gmmshl.jpg

Bonus picture (weighing the wheels)

IMG_20160530_100257_zpscn7nfult.jpg

Have enough extra material so will build one of these with 7 & 10 inch drop adjustments and also make one for a shackle at the end the smittybilt one I currently have is now too short so I'll throw that one in the dodge.

You can probably extend the vertical outer tubing and add some gusseting to make it even stronger. Then you won't have to worry ripping around the welds when you have it at full drop.

Nicole and I have been making some inexpensive cosmetic changes to her Tacoma over the past couple of days. She wanted it to stand out a little more.

Black head light mod

Before

After

TRD Rims aren't in the budget right now, so we tried to imitate them the best would could with the stock rims.

IMG_20160530_120819_zpsb9gmmshl.jpg

Bonus picture (weighing the wheels)

Looks great bud, nice work :cheers:

Ouray prep.

Topped off the rear diff oil it was 1/2 quart low. Doubt it was ever opened up since it left the factory glad I put it on the to do list.

Until I get a better spare tire solution I tucked it back under in the factory spot had to heat and bend the tabs I also let all the air out and put an extra ratchet strap to keep it tight it clears the rear axle 1/2 an inch.

Last edited:
Did ours on Friday. No bending of anything. I did have to let all air out and use a pry bar to help situate it. Quite a pain and there's no way anything bigger would fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom