2f 3f engine mounts are they the same? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also, the 3F was available in AU.

Good to know so if it is a 3F at least that takes care of some of the swap issues. Well I don't know how the 3F compares to the 2F though the 3F should still produce torque at higher RPM's due to the higher compression ratio and shorter crank throw and thus produce more power.

Frank

To put the last nail in the coffin re: frame engine mounts, I just took a look at my FJ60 and FJ62, both side-by-side on the driveway, engine compartments empty, and hoods open. Both are identical.

Alright, the mounts aren't the issue unless you need to use all of your accessories- I was wrong. BUT, if you DO want to keep your 3F accessories, you'll need to fab some mounts or at the very least do some serious mix and match of brackets from both 3F and 2F, and possibly give up on the AC compressor...I guess it is not a height issue of the mount in regard to the engine height, but where the mount interferes with the 3F accessory attachments. This is only an issue going from 2F to fj62. As I said earlier, going from 3F to fj60 is easy...sorry for the cornfusion. And thanks to those who helped to edgimacait me...

One does not have to give up on any accessories. I have swapped these engines. You just buy 2f plumbing. Down in the crank area of the block they are the same. At worst an AC shop will swage new hoses, I had this done.

I am not advocating the swap, the performance downgrade seems to put that into question but as far as swaps go this is easier than my 3fe swap since their is no ECU and associated wiring.

Sent from my SM-N910V

then why the whole need to fab brackets to keep the ac pump and alt in the 2FE threads when doing a 2FE into a 62? have all the guys with well docd swaps of 2FE into fj62s been incorrect? what is the magic combo of components and brackets and belts? regardless, it seems that it is not a bolt in affair if one has to get custom hoses made and buy all the brackets and accessories from the 2F. The engine mounts are the same- I'll concede that, at long last(and after much wasted reading failing to disprove my incorrectness) but it is not a bolt in job without having access to both rigs and all their associated parts...and some custom hoses...and the time to test fit every combo till it's right...has anyone posted up which brackets and mounts and accessories to bolt a 2F into an fj62? I see alot of "it can be done if...' but they all seem to be shrouded in qualifiers...and nothing definitive other than "you can do it" from guys with experience in reverse of the swap in question...Matt might have more to offer having dealt with the fj62. I'd love to get the skinny on what to use so I don't have to monkey with it when I do the 2FE into my fj62...again, sorry for confusion provided by me...seems like pieces are missing from this puzzle...

Maybe they just chose to do it that way? Maybe they wanted to retain 3fe accessories like the better alternator, ps pump, and probably required smog pump? Maybe they wanted to keep 2f accessories and have them in the same locations? There are lots of approaches to accessories. In my case I kept all 3fe accessories, which fit perfectly under hood with zero bracket mods, and plumbed/wired to them. So to reiterate, a 2f with all accessories and a 3fe with all accessories will fit bolt in to a 60 series. Plumbing/wiring would need addressing.

I think if one reviewed the many 2fe threads one also find the reasons people did what they did. If I ever go 2fe I will keep the 3fe accessories and take the bracket fab route. It is nice that, for example, the 3fe ps pump does not leak and ruin the smog pump.

Frank

"It is nice that, for example, the 3fe ps pump does not leak and ruin the smog pump."

That happened to me while driving my '82 FJ60 at 75 mph on I-25 almost 300 miles from home - the smog pump seized (thanks to the leaking PS pump) and took out the belt. Luckily I had some tools and temporarily replaced the belt with my A/C belt to get home.

Mine seized a few blocks from home. I got lucky.

Sent from my SM-N910V

why the whole need to fab brackets to keep the ac pump and alt in the 2FE threads when doing a 2FE into a 62?

...because the 3fe has different accessories for the fuel injection, different water paths,
and a different water pump. If you keep it all one or all the other,
no problems. If you try to graft the EFI onto the 2f block, then water routing gets a little... home- made. Not bad, just an odd
hose here and a hose there.
Then there's the weenie 2f alternator. The 3fe is so much bigger and sexier, while you're in there, why not use the 3fe's? THEN
it gets a bit trickier, especially to keep the air pump AND upgrade to the Sag steering pump.

So all the conversions take different paths on the accessories, and each one ends up a little different. They don't have to,
it's just a case of, 'well, why not?'
OR they have to be stock- appearing, to meet the Cali or Cali- equivalent smog laws.

...or at least, that's kinda what I found.

t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom