24 volt charging question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1989 HJ61. When I start it in the morning or after it sits for more than 6 hours, The battery indicator gauge stays just above 16 volts for about a minute and a half then jumps up to just above the halfway mark. Do I need a new alternator? or could it be something else? I have my radio connected via a 20 amp converter and nothing else connected to the batteries that could cause them to drain.

thanks,
Jammer

mine does the same thing...Going on three years or so. I upgraded the wiring, ran a dedicated wire from the alt to the batteries, redid all my grounds, had the alt checked, etc..

It still does it.

I think it's normal.

Apparently it's normal for the HJ's to do that - I think the glow plugs suck a lot of power before starting when the engine is cold..

Same thing here as well. I replaced the brushes and check volt reg but still have the same issue. Don't think it is a glow plug related issue as I could could on one hand how many times I have needed my glow plugs to start in the AM. No draw when not being used. Never stranded me yet..

Knock on wood.

a relief

What a relief! I wasn't looking forward to shelling out 500 bucks for a new alternator!

Feels good to know that i am "normal"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom