2018 LC Sell or Hold? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't think I could own a vehicle I am not going to use or drive on the regular. With that being said I also don't see keeping vehicles as a function of an investment, probably cause I don't have kind of money it takes to actually make money at that. Will a 2018 LC be a wise long term investment. My guess probably not compared to its resale value currently. It was a niche vehicle in US the last 15 or so years. The only true followers were those with expendable income in the 70K to 90K range over that time frame. It is likely in 10, 20, 30 years they will no be going back to glory days but to what ever new thing is out their minds. A kid that wanted an LC during that time frame might have dough for your mint condition but then they have to also have money to keep it on road. The electronics, emissions, engine, etc.... are all parts that cost mint to get or will no longer be available.

I would say the 40 is a classic vehicle and a different conversation entirely. It’s apples and oranges to compare a 250 to a 40.
The point is the new shiny truck makes folk nostalgic for the good ol days, and how they don't make them like they used to. And then they go looking for an old one, which drives up demand. Which is what happened with Broncos, and what may happen again to the 40 series. I agree the 250 will lower the price of the 200, no reason to sell it though if you're enjoying driving one, but to the OP's point I don't think I'd have the patience to sit on a low mile one, hoping for a big payoff someday.

Not to be morbid, but in reference to mortality I don't think of investing in modern vehicles that will potentially be worth more in 50 years. When I think of a 1970 Bronco, I go wow--that was 53 years ago. Early 70s FJ 40s are pushing 50 years old.

I'm quite young in my mind and heart, but in 50 years, I'll be in Heaven, or soooo old that I'll have given away all my toys to family years ago.

The vehicles I have now and those I acquire in the future will get driven and enjoyed as much as humanly possible--and creating family memories along the way.

Some of you 21 year olds driving 200 Series LCs may be able to cash in when you are in your 60s-70s, lol!

NOTE: That said, I sure do have a soft spot for a 1970 Chevelle SS 454, 4spd (not to invest in, but to drive the wheels off of).

Last edited:
The point is the new shiny truck makes folk nostalgic for the good ol days, and how they don't make them like they used to. And then they go looking for an old one, which drives up demand. Which is what happened with Broncos, and what may happen again to the 40 series. I agree the 250 will lower the price of the 200, no reason to sell it though if you're enjoying driving one, but to the OP's point I don't think I'd have the patience to sit on a low mile one, hoping for a big payoff someday.
All old Broncos I see for sell that are making big money are Resto Mods. They are vehicles from 60 and 70 with no electronics or emissions etc..... I am having a hard time now with 97 T100 parts that I need like cruise control that is no longer made or Purge Valves, MAP sensors, charcoal canister. Can you image the issues for LC200 when it is 26 years old related to computer parts or emissions. I would buy an ICON4x4 • ICON FJ - https://www.icon4x4.com/fj in 20 years over 20+ year old LC.

Don’t let this distract you from the fact that Hector is going to be running three Honda Civics with Spoon engines, and on top of that, he just went into Harry’s and bought three t66 turbos with NOS, and a Motec exhaust system.

In all seriousness, if I were going to buy a vehicle to keep for future value and Sunday drives--it wouldn't be an LC200 SUV.

My thoughts lean towards something like a 1970 Chevelle SS 454, 4 spd, in red w/black. I wouldn't mind adding one of those to the collection. That said, I'm in the invest in the stock market and enjoy the toys club.

I think some have a different definition of "investment". You can't drive the stock market or land and sportscars don't count lol... can't take your family on vacation in one of those. Must be at least a 5-6 seater SUV. So what else is there that holds value as well and is as reliable? 4Runner TRD Pro?

I think some have a different definition of "investment". You can't drive the stock market or land and sportscars don't count lol... can't take your family on vacation in one of those. Must be at least a 5-6 seater SUV. So what else is there that holds value as well and is as reliable? 4Runner TRD Pro

I believe the OP was musing about storing/minimizing miles on a LC200 with 37k miles anticipating some sort of rise in value—far in the future.

That is what I was commenting on as a horrific “investment” by any standard.

You are correct, I can’t drive the stock market or land, but I can surely use the profits from it to buy another 5-6 seater Land Cruiser—or other vehicle meeting that standard down the road, vs. storing a LC200.

Last edited:
All old Broncos I see for sell that are making big money are Resto Mods. They are vehicles from 60 and 70 with no electronics or emissions etc..... I am having a hard time now with 97 T100 parts that I need like cruise control that is no longer made or Purge Valves, MAP sensors, charcoal canister. Can you image the issues for LC200 when it is 26 years old related to computer parts or emissions. I would buy an ICON4x4 • ICON FJ - https://www.icon4x4.com/fj in 20 years over 20+ year old LC.
My 100 is 24 years old and I can still get all the parts that break, which in total amounts to the starter. But I get what you mean especially for electronics. I know if the nav / infotainment / climate system on the 200 dies in 15 years i will need to source a set of manual controls to make it work.

many are not fans of the rear entertainment but those are already almost impossible to replace. And there is no replacement screen that can be sourced separately….i tried.

So yes once the display…rear entertainment….the dash display go south. There will be no OEM replacements.

But then again. Maybe in 50 years resto modding a 200 will be putting a Tesla display and full electronic dash like they already are doing….

If I had a cherry LC200 I’d save it for a future build or sell it and get something I can enjoy now. Not try to save it as an investment….

I believe the OP was musing about storing/minimizing miles on a LC200 with 37k miles anticipating some sort of rise in value—far in the future.

That is what I was commenting on as a horrific “investment” by any standard.

You are correct, I can’t drive the stock market or land, but I can surely use the profits from it to buy another 5-6 seater Land Cruiser—or other vehicle meeting that standard down the road, vs. storing a LC200.

Ah, agreed. I suppose nothing is impossible, but that's a very very long shot that the values will rise on these rigs in the future. I would look at it more of "slow depreciating investment" that still sees at least some use, but certanly not one that is likely to appreciate..

Very few cars out perform the market, even an S&P index fund. Especially when you consider the cost of insurance, storage, maintenance, etc. The 200 isn't a limited edition Ferrari, there's NO way it's outperforming the market. If you're looking at the 200 as a driver, and you're going to use it, keep it. If all you're going to do is store it with the hopes of selling for a bunch of money, sell it immediately and put that into S&P index funds and call it a day

How “cheep” do you all think the 250 will be? A 4 runner TRD pro is $55k. The GX550 trail version is pushing $80k. An LX600 is low $90k. My guess is the 250 LC will be ~70k, 200 LCs were $85k new.

I don’t think at $70k+ there will be a flood of the market with “cheep” LCs.

How “cheep” do you all think the 250 will be? A 4 runner TRD pro is $55k. The GX550 trail version is pushing $80k. An LX600 is low $90k. My guess is the 250 LC will be ~70k, 200 LCs were $85k new.

I don’t think at $70k+ there will be a flood of the market with “cheep” LCs.

"With prices starting in the mid-$50,000 range"

If you are looking at this purely as an investment and don't plan on using the truck at all then sell it immediately. These are depreciating assets. Don't overthink it.

Just my .02, I don’t see the point of buying a vehicle to let it sit and never use it. If I’m buying something I’m gunna use the shĩt out of it. My buddy purchased a brand new TRX and only drives it when the sun is out and wants to keep the mileage super low so when he eventually sells it he’ll make money on it, so he went out and got a used Raptor so he had something to use daily. I don’t get it but that’s just me. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Just my .02, I don’t see the point of buying a vehicle to let it sit and never use it. If I’m buying something I’m gunna use the shĩt out of it. My buddy purchased a brand new TRX and only drives it when the sun is out and wants to keep the mileage super low so when he eventually sells it he’ll make money on it, so he went out and got a used Raptor so he had something to use daily. I don’t get it but that’s just me. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Different strokes for different folks. We had a few vehicles sit in the garage that didn't even see the sun in 5+ years. They were scary to drive, required tons of $$$$ each time they were driven, etc. But they sure made good conversation pieces and provided eye candy. The intent wasn't necessarily to profit off them, but enjoy differently - think Mona Lisa, but in the garage 😁

Lot's had been said. To add to the question from the OP, nope. Sell it, if you are not going to enjoy it. Low miles in a car to have any hopes that "makes" money, is in the range of 100's not 1000's, let alone 10000's miles. Sell, put the money at better use.

About the Supra, so happy for you that you got one cheap, and it was an incredible / is, modding platform... but be thankful to the rest in peace Paul, he was the one who made these cars explode, let's not fool ourselves. And before someone asks, YES , I am a fan, I have stickers that read "Tuna no crust" in all my cars, custom made; and I am still waiting for Monica. I am / was a fanboi of him in and out of the FF, a really nice dude, may he be with God.

Someone said it too very well, cars are made for different purposes, but seldom any car is made to make money. For that to happen, you have a struck of luck like referenced above, or a really exclusive one.

Best of luck to the OP ! And lovely chat about cars, money, and of course, family ;) .

About the Supra, so happy for you that you got one cheap, and it was an incredible / is, modding platform... but be thankful to the rest in peace Paul, he was the one who made these cars explode, let's not fool ourselves. And before someone asks, YES , I am a fan, I have stickers that read "Tuna no crust" in all my cars, custom made; and I am still waiting for Monica. I am / was a fanboi of him in and out of the FF, a really nice dude, may he be with God.
As I oulined in my response earlier, yes and no. The values of these cars stayed pretty much flat from '98 until '16 at which point they started to rapidly increase. Many think that the movie solely had an impact on value increases of MKIVs, however this was not the case. Certainly the movie franchasize boosted (no pun intended) the popularity of the platform, however the rise in values did not come until 15+ years after so there's more to it. Other factors such as events Supra Nationals that grew into massive TX2K, videogames such as Gran Turismo, etc. But what do I know, I've only been around these cars since '98.

P.S. Both of my prior and current Supra wear the "Tuna No Crust" license plate frame 😉

Back on topic of LC's....

Guy down street has 3 Supras in the garage and one in driveway under car cover. He daily drives an F250 and other family car is some small Lexus SUV. Of the 3 that I got a decent look at they are all set up as 1/4mile cars. They are all either Mark IV or V. Had to mention based on postings above.

I find myself asking if I should keep or sell my '18 all the time. It's a weird line, because I don't use it as much as I want, but that's just life. As such, part of me wants to pass it to the next person who can and will use it far more. The fact that I can't get another one, that this was the last LC nameplate we got, the "nostalgia" of it and whatnot make it hard to give up. I'd be in the black if I got rid of it today, but then I'd be looking to buy yours 25 years from now and probably at some premium, at least among the other 100 folks looking for some unmolested 200.

sell it and buy a 911 with the $. More fun and better chance of holding value

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom