2009 CRF230M / Commuter Bike only? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

Specifications

Engine

Engine Type223cc air-cooled single-cylinder four-strokeBore And Stroke65.5 x 66.2 mmCompression Ratio9.0:1Valve TrainSOHC; two valveInduction30mm CV carburetorIgnitionCD
Drive Train

TransmissionSix-speedFinal Drive#520 O-ring-sealed chain; 13T/50T
Chassis / Suspension / Brakes

Front Suspension37mm leading-axle Showa® fork; 9.0 inches of travelRear SuspensionPro-link Showa® single shock with adjustable spring preload; 6.3 inches of travelFront BrakeSingle 240 mm discRear Brake220 mm discFront Tire2.75-21 Rear Tire120/80-18
Dimensions

Rake26.83 degreesTrail103mm (4.0 inches)Wheelbase52.75 inchesSeat Height31.9 inchesCurb Weight267 lbs (*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel-ready to ride)Fuel Capacity2.3 gallons, including 0.7 gallon reserveGround Clearance9.5 inches
Other

Available ColorsBlackModel IdCRF230MEmissionsMeets current CARB and EPA standards
Factory Warranty Information

One YearCoverage of defects in materials and workmanship

Opinions on this ride as a commuter and longer touring ride performance.

Thanks....

Thanks....

IIRC, that's a pretty costly bike to be air cooled. I think they're just playing up the "SuperMotard" look, and this is a (insufficient) stop-gap until they decide if they want to produce one.

You see appearances when you look at that bike, not its attributes. It's just a air cooled CRF with bling bolted to it....oh, and it costs more.

Not that its not a good bike, just one I wouldn't throw down some coin on.

I would vote no, and look for a used CRF(?)400 enduro.

Something like this.

2002 Honda Enduro XR400 - $1700 (Clarksville)

1f813c1423k63pf3ob8c2ae3f96c15ff01093.jpg

Doesn't come with a payment book though....:doh:

Last edited:

Thanks....

I've got a Nx250, and wind kicks my but. IH8 weight, but also hate to admit, a bike that size and weight will be squirrely at high speeds and in winds. If you want to tour with it, you'll also need wind protection.

Great for commuting, and a blast to drive. But as I'm finding out. In the motorcycle world, one bike just can't perform a lot of roles. It's like I just found out to, it's hard to find a tire that does more than one thing, adequately.

Urban commuting, no problem. Long distance... to small. The Motard style bikes are not really meant to be long distance haulers. 45 mins on the seat, and you'll know why. Uncomfortable!

position / seat is not what one would want for touring I would surmise...

Thanks to all who commented

Just a rookie cyclist inquiring from the depths of MUD experience~ Thanks again to all who commented. I will continue to exhaust my options. Ultimately, the bike of choice will be able to do the long tours, handle the twisty's and be comfortable- I am not sure if a 600 or a 1000 crotch rocket is my interest. Maybe, a 900, I do like the transalp and the 919, as you can see my interest lies in Honda.

Van :hmm:

Just a rookie cyclist inquiring from the depths of MUD experience~ Thanks again to all who commented. I will continue to exhaust my options. Ultimately, the bike of choice will be able to do the long tours, handle the twisty's and be comfortable- I am not sure if a 600 or a 1000 crotch rocket is my interest. Maybe, a 900, I do like the transalp and the 919, as you can see my interest lies in Honda.

Van :hmm:

VFR750 or Interceptor. Best sport touring bike ever.

All set up - http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/948477712.html

better priced - http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/946054897.html

i would look at the yamaha dual sport, they have 2 dual sport models, which look to be great. price tag is around 6k tho and are to new to get to big of savings. haven't ridden one yet, but yamaha has excellent quality. i'm assuming you want a cheaper bike just as a commuter, so i would also look into a couple year old suzuki drz400sm. i rode a crf230 a few years back and would not be happy with that size bike on the streets.

V-Strom?

They've got a 650?....

A little on the chunky side, but not quite a Beamer and most importantly a Beamers price...

IDK..

Either get a bike w/ wind protection, or wear tight cloths. I've just recently found that makes a huge difference.

... Either get a bike w/ wind protection, or wear tight cloths. I've just recently found that makes a huge difference.

You've been dressing like MC Hammer again? :flipoff2: ;)

Jeez, where have I been? All this way, and with no mention of the Kawasaki Versys. Probably the only vehicle I would ever buy new.

search for Versys bro. I really don't think one can go wrong with that bike.

It's a $7k bike. For just a few thou more than the 230, you get a ton more out of a bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpJFxJV2zTw

You've been dressing like MC Hammer again? :flipoff2: ;)

:lol: x10 (you must have seen me blazing down the highway doing my impersonation :flipoff2: )

Thats what I bought!:D

You should have at least had the decency to post a pic of the beast....

:flipoff2: Couldn't have picked a better color IMO.

kawasaki-versys-black-side-650.jpg

The Versys is a cool bike especially with the 2 brothers pipe and a pcIII...super torquey!! It all depends on what you're looking for though a large top heavy adventure bike or something more nimble to get around town on. I've ridden the Versys, the Killer, CRF230, KL250X and the Wr250X. I chose to buy the WR250X...here's why fuel injection and liquid cooled. The Honda felt small, it's air cooled and carbed. The Versys and Killer are too top heavy plus I hate Kawasaki's and for the KL250X its weak! The WR250X/R models have tons of mods that you can do see wheelingcycle.com for goodies. I've cut holes in the airbox, removed the side cover of the airbox, added a pcIII, Yoshimura pipe and uncorked it and it pulls hard!! The stock WR250X is better that all the other bikes in it's class by leaps and bounds and for a few $ more you'd be foolish not too check it out plus @ 72mpg you can still afford to fill up the Cruiser. The WR will walk around the DRZ400 too! Check it out. Honestly though just buy what you like and ride the hell out of it!!! If you want to be a Hooligan buy the WRX!!

I loved my 95 VFR750 more than any bike I've owned. V-4 with a Staintune pipe. Sounded like nothing else. Looks may be a little dated now, but a great do it all bike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom