1st generation 4runner rear link system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This probably isn't very hardcore but I would like to get some input. My 4skin is an 86 which is sas'd and chevy 63s in the rear. It currently has 60 series rotors with ifs calipers, high steer, 529s, rear detroit, allpro 5" front springs, 35s, and dual t-cases. I could probably run 37s right now and that is what I will probably go to after I get the rear suspension done.
The reason why I am wanting to link it is because I am not happy with the chevy springs. I am thinking of doing a tj spring (blasphamy I know) and a 4 link. Would it be a bad idea to use 80 series control arms? I can build my own as I do have a fab shop/machine shop, but I would rather find something that is already out there so I can get it done asap instead of making a couple of designs before getting a good running setup.

Are you looking at front or rear TJ springs?

Your likely to find TJ springs too soft.

I linked my YJ last winter and tried TJ, XJ and finally setteled on V8 ZJ front springs to hold up my rear end.

What brand spring did you get? I was thinking front tjs but I need to check some spring load ratings.

I was trying stock springs, since I didn't want/need any lift.

I have a Rusty's suspension book around here somewhere with all the spring rates listed......... I'll look for it.........

you may not like the coil rear and SOA front setup...it tends to put most of the initial flex into the rear coils, since they are more linear than a set of leafs....one reason I opted for the 1/4 elliptical in the rear...

you can work past some of that with link setup and stiffer springs...and you may find a rear sway bar will help too, like the Currie AntiRock

If you go to coils in the rear capture them. Makes a huge difference in stability.

I have 80 bushings in my 4 link and 80 lowers for my uppers.

the 80 4 link is too short and flimsy to just swap it straight over. It's also pretty nice to triangulate rather than run a panhard.

flexes OK like that.

Cliffs7-15-07085.jpg

Last edited:
Build your own links, the 80 stuff is too short to give you good geometry thru the full cycle of the suspention

Damn gumby, that is some serious flex. I don't want to completely steal your ideas, but could you maybe send me a few photos on your link setup?
Woody, would the 1/4 eliptical be very stable on road? I have seen them on sami's, and they did work great offroad, but driving through town was a nightmare.

The stability (road manners) of a 1/4 elip, coilover, airshock or coil suspension is not based on the spring type but on the suspension design.

Design it right, and it won't matter what you use to suspend the rig..

Thanks for the info. I bought some heims and getting the tubing in a few days. I am going with 5/8 heims and 1.5 dom tubing. The I.D. is 7/16 so I will drill and tap it for the 5/8 heim. Hopefully I am going heavy enough with size of heim joint and tubing.

my heim's are QA-1 and are 3/4 thread and 5/8 bore.....zero problems with them....

I also direct-tapped my links for the heims...

1-1/2" lowers are too small....they WILL bend...mine are 1-1/2" OD and .475 wall (oversleeved) and one side is bent....you'll wanna oversleeve them to 2".

my new link material is 7075-T6 aluminum....2" solid for the lowers, 1-1/2" solid for the uppers

Should I just go to 2" for everything? I am ordering some steel tomorrow. I have 4 heims that are 5/8 thread and bore. Maybe it is a good thing I had a brain fart and only ordered 4 instead of 8. I think the 5/8 heims will be good for the uppers and I will get 3/4 for the lowers. I can't wait to start tearing into this thing. I think tomorrow I will start cleaning the frame of the spring mounts.

I believe TrailMart's rear link kit works on 4Runners...

IIRC, the QA-1 heims with a 5/8" bore and 3/4 thread size XMR 10-12 are their strongest without going to stupid-huge stuff...

I just ordered some 3/4 QA1 heims :bounce:

I believe TrailMart's rear link kit works on 4Runners...

I have seen a kit or two that will work, but I haven't been really impressed with the quality of the materials used. I hope that after I build mine that I won't take it back off just to install trailmarts kit....

Here are a few before shots. I am planning on keeping the front the way it is for now. I had to use blocks in the rear to get it level with the front. ih8blocks

Last edited:
coiled runner

I found this coiled runner in town,and he IS running front TJ coils with no issues! SICK TOO!!
This probably isn't very hardcore but I would like to get some input. My 4skin is an 86 which is sas'd and chevy 63s in the rear. It currently has 60 series rotors with ifs calipers, high steer, 529s, rear detroit, allpro 5" front springs, 35s, and dual t-cases. I could probably run 37s right now and that is what I will probably go to after I get the rear suspension done.
The reason why I am wanting to link it is because I am not happy with the chevy springs. I am thinking of doing a tj spring (blasphamy I know) and a 4 link. Would it be a bad idea to use 80 series control arms? I can build my own as I do have a fab shop/machine shop, but I would rather find something that is already out there so I can get it done asap instead of making a couple of designs before getting a good running setup.
coiled runner.jpg
coiled runner 2.jpg

Do you know what brand/lift those coils are? That does look sweet!

my new link material is 7075-T6 aluminum....2" solid for the lowers, 1-1/2" solid for the uppers

Below are 2 shots of the above mentioned material. The first is 2.00" and the second is 1.50". They bend like butter when they are solid. Steel heavy wall tubing is a much better choice. These are on a fairly light buggy that is at our shop.

Lar
2.00Link.jpg
1.50Link.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom