1st Gen Sequoia 4WD System Questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone! I am considering buying a 1st generation Sequoia and I have some questions about the 4x4 system and I am going to be asking them in a set of posts. I have done a search and I have not seen my basic questions answered so if you could clarify some issues about 4x4 operation I would really appreciate it. I am used to conventional 4x4 systems (2G Isuzu Trooper, 5G 4Runner) without a center differential so the Sequoia seems a bit weird to me.

• Do all 4WD Sequoias have A-Trac and is it the same as that in the 100 Series Land Cruisers and 4G 4Runners? If so, is it effective? I think my 5G 4Runner had 2nd Gen A-Trac and it was awesome.

• Do you keep the transfer case in “H” or “N” when driving in 2WD?

• Is there any traction benefit to driving in 4H with the differential open?

• in an early (2001) Sequoia can you drive in 4H with the center diff locked without any mods?

• After reading the owner’s manual for the 2001 to lock the center differential one needs to shift into 4x4 put the selector lever in 4L then s*** the transmission into 1st (“L”) gear. Is that correct?

• On a 2001 Sequoia without any mods does the center diff unlock if you shift into 4H? does it disengage if you are in 4L but put the transmission in a different gear (2, D, R, etc.) will the diff only stay locked in 1st gear?

Hi again! So what advice does the group have on the perfect Sequoia for me? I am looking at a 2001 Sequoia with 239,000 miles which would normally be a deal breaker. Its going to be a overlanding toy and the household's 4th vehicle so I don't think the high mileage is that big of a deal because the one I am looking at has a full dealer service history including a Toyota replacement transmission at 197,000 miles. Oh, and its so cool I could look that up on "My Toyota".

Sequoia 1A.jpg

I know this post is a month old, but maybe others will come looking for the same info.

I don't think any 1st gen sequoias have true atrac, but not positive on that. My 01 does not have atrac.

It has AWD and 4WD. It's AWD when in 4 high or 4 low and 4WD when in 4 lo and 1st gear. AWD is a non locked center diff, 4wd is locked. Any other option than 1st gear and 4 low it comes out of locked center diff, but there are mods to add a switch if you really want to.

I haven't done major offroading, but have done moab trails and I can't tell a difference between the locked and unlocked center diff.

I can't follow vehicles with atrac in the snow, they get traction where I just spin.

My sequoia in awd is amazing in the snow and by far the best vehicle I've driven in the winter.

Last edited:
200,000 on a sequoia or tundra is pretty much just broken in. Not a big issue of concern unless maintenance was really neglected. Check suspension components (especially lower ball joints) and frame.

Answers to your other questions:

Do all 4WD Sequoias have A-Trac and is it the same as that in the 100 Series Land Cruisers and 4G 4Runners? If so, is it effective? I think my 5G 4Runner had 2nd Gen A-Trac and it was awesome.
- Maybe or something similar. Hard to find concrete info on this. It appears that there is something similar to ATRAC that kicks in when the center differential is locked from what I read on various forums. I'm personally not very familiar with it.

Do you keep the transfer case in “H” or “N” when driving in 2WD?
- High when in 2WD for regular road driving.

Is there any traction benefit to driving in 4H with the differential open?
- in 2WD there isn't. The 4H and 4L shifter is just the gearing for the transfer case.

in an early (2001) Sequoia can you drive in 4H with the center diff locked without any mods?
- diff lock is only active in 2001 and 2002 when in 4L and transmission is in L (1st gear). So, no. There is a simple mod to either lock with a switch or just shift to 4L.

After reading the owner’s manual for the 2001 to lock the center differential one needs to shift into 4x4 put the selector lever in 4L then s*** the transmission into 1st (“L”) gear. Is that correct?
- Yes and it has to stay in L (first gear).

On a 2001 Sequoia without any mods does the center diff unlock if you shift into 4H? does it disengage if you are in 4L but put the transmission in a different gear (2, D, R, etc.) will the diff only stay locked in 1st gear?
- Yes or if you shift transmission lever out of L
- Yes, will disengage lock in any other transmission shift lever position without mod.

To help for 2001 to 2002 here are your driving options:
1. 2 WD (transfer case set to 4H)
2. 4 WD, 4H (really is AWD - 4WD button is pushed, transfer case 4H) - power is shifted to front or rear wheels depending on driving conditions
3. 4 WD, 4L (really is AWD - 4WD button is pushed, transfer case 4L) - power is shifted to front or rear wheels depending on driving conditions
4. 4 WD, 4L Center Differential Locked (4WD button is pushed, transfer case is 4L, and transmission stick is on L) - 4x4 mode in the traditional sense

Options 1 and 2 can be driven at highway speeds or just regular driving with no issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom