1HZ: injection pump and injectors - when to inspect? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I suggest you get a quote for a local shop and also get a quote from Hiflo in Australia: Fuel Injectors (HiFlo Fuel Injection). They sell both new and rebuilt injectors for your engine. I know when I needed to get my injectors rebuilt, I got new ones for $300 less (including shipping) than what it would of cost to get mine rebuilt by Valley Fuel Injection.

Hiflo got back to me. $85US per injector (new) and $32US shipping to Canada. Sound decent?

Hiflo got back to me. $85US per injector (new) and $32US shipping to Canada. Sound decent?

Sounds very decent. But I haven't a clue what they cost to rebuild here. I would still try to get a couple Canadian quotes.

These guys will do a quote: BD Power - About BD. I know their fuel injection shop has done fuel injection work for G&S.

OK, I'm confused. 1/2 the talk in this thread is about two stage injectors. rstl99, you have a 1HZ...correct? If so your injectors are single stage and dead ass simple compared to the two stage 1HD-T injectors. The injector body should have the denso number stamped on the side. Or at least the shop should be able to reference the numbers needed from their database if they don't have the injector in hand, and be able to quote you.

What makes the most sense imo with the IDI nozzles is simply a new nozzle and set crack pressures. The flat section on the bottom of the nozzle usually gets cupped/worn, and it makes no sense to clean/reset crack pressure and put the cupped\worn tip back on. Make sure you get new gaskets as well.

100,000kms for all nozzles and 200,000kms for the rotary style pumps seems to be the markers for pull/check/service.

DI nozzles on the 1HD-T and two stage crack pressures: Allied Holmes in Richmond as John mentioned, and apparently Surrey Diesel Injection Services in Delta can do two stage as well. I have not tried them.

hth's

gb

Last edited:
OK, I'm confused. 1/2 the talk in this thread is about two stage injectors. rstl99, you have a 1HZ...correct? If so your injectors are single stage and dead ass simple compared to the two stage 1HD-T injectors.
gb

Thanks Greg, that clarifies the matter very well for me. As far as the 2-stage discussion, John at RADD had indicated they were 2-stage on the 1HZ, and I was going by that information. If they're in fact single stage and simpler to overhaul, GREAT!

I'll do as you suggest, get the DENSO number on the injector and contact shops with that information. That local shop should definitely be able to help me with this then.

:cheers: --Robert

You can also get the nozzel tips and shims from Hiflo. You would need to either buy or build you own tester. There was a thread here a while ago on building your own tester which also will allow you to set your breaking pressure.

Thanks John. I've been poking around on the diesel MB forum (I also own an 82 240D which likely will need some injector attention) and here's a thread on a homemade tester, which I am contemplating making from parts at Princess Auto (about $150). Would pay for itself first time using it. :D

Easy homemade pop tester - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Indeed, on the early 80's MB diesels, people seem to just buy the replacement nozzles and put them in themselves, and some test them with their pop testers. Nozzles are around $20 each for the MB's.

I presume something similar could be done on the 1HZ injector, save some money and do it right. Plus since I have two N/A diesel vehicles, may be worthwhile for me to be self-sufficient in this area. :hmm:

I agree. I hadn't thought about using a hydraulic pump. I was planning on using a bottle jack but the hand pump looks a lot easier to do. I agree that paying for them to be rebuilt here rather than doing it yourself is a waste of money. Especially if you have more than one indirect injection diesel. Thanks for the link. I just checked Princess Auto and they have an 8,000 psi hand pump for about $80. Better price than anything I saw on ebay. I did buy one new set of injectors from Hiflo. This way, I will always have a set onhand.

Anybody know if the 1HZ injectors are Bosch? I have two certified Bosch centers near me, and it looks like the VE pump needs rebuilding anyway so i might as well bring in the injectors. Just trying to get as much knowledge as possible before bringing them in. Cheers

Anybody know if the 1HZ injectors are Bosch? I have two certified Bosch centers near me, and it looks like the VE pump needs rebuilding anyway so i might as well bring in the injectors. Just trying to get as much knowledge as possible before bringing them in. Cheers

Toyota injectors are denso.

Anyone who is qualified in diesel should be able to do 1HZ injectors if they have the specs and the parts.
Ask them if they can "flow match" the injectors.

The whole injection system is Denso. The Japanese rarely use non Japanese parts,even if they have to copy someone elses and pay for it.

Last edited:
How likely are injectors to be the culprit for rough idling and what seems like randomised mis-firing with a very old 1hz motor? I had a replacement pump and injectors done about 100 k km's ago (around 5 years ago).

If you're experiencing missing, I would be inclined to say that the IP is a major factor. If IP is working as it should and there is proper fuel delivery to the injectors,with lean/rich symptoms, then the injectors would need to be considered. Or, in your case, it could possibly be both the IP and the injectors. HTH.

100000klms is the service life but they usually run smooth for much longer than that. But your old 1HZ maybe fouling them with burnt oil or you may have compression problems. Carbon deposits on top of the pistons could be affecting the swirl pattern.
How old is the old 1HZ?

635 k km's. Original motor to the vehicle from when it was built in 1992.

Does it start up easy cold? Does the miss go away when warmed up? At this point you will probably have to decide whether its a compression problem or a fuel delivery problem. Ask the shop that did your pump up for their opinion.

Yes dead-easy to start when cold. The miss seems to be less when the motor is up to temp but it doesn't completely go away. When I had the injector pump and injectors last done about 5 to 6 yrs ago the work was done by a very reputable diesel shop (in a different city to where I live now).

No white smoke. And no black smoke unless I really plant the foot.

I haven't ever done a compression test in the time I've owned the vehicle. To be honest until I replaced the engine mounts (which were going bad) with new genuine ones I'd never actually noticed the idle roughness. So it's possibly been happening for longer but 'masked' by the slightly failing mounts.

Motor has just kicked over 640 k km's. I've been able to source a set of new genuine injectors for a very good price so I'm going to fit those, and depending on what changes, getting a diesel shop to check the pump will be the next step. I don't have tools to remove/fit/setup a replacement injector pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom