1hd-t oil leak(s) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone!

After acquiring a imported 1hd-t for my 86 fj60 and putting it in, I've been chasing down a series of oil leaks. I went through the simple seals (oil pan, valve cover, turbo oiler, camshaft), but it's still pissing oil from the front. I had a fairly long roadtrip in it, so there was a fair amount of oil underneath the front of the engine.

The leak appears to be starting about half way down and looks to be building up around the timing gear cover. Before I get ahead of myself and tear the cover off along with the gears, what are all my options for more likely leaks? pump drive gear oil seal, crankshaft oil seal, oil pipe? I want to cover all my bases while I have fluids drained and the radiator out. The fan kicks around the oil quite a bit, so it may be hard to identify in these images.

Thanks!
IMG_4285.jpeg
IMG_4284.jpeg
IMG_4282.jpeg
IMG_4286.jpeg
IMG_4283.jpeg

go shampoo and clean up the whole engine and drive around until you see where the oil come from.

I can't say for sure what's leaking but if your suspect that there are any original seals or o-rings you might as well replace them all. There is an o-ring between the oil pump and block and if your going that far you might as well do the o-ring to the injection pump, front crank seal, timing cover seal, both vacuum pump o-rings.

You have "schmutz" in your timing belt area as high as the tensioner pulley. I would pull and replace your camshaft seal and timing belt and timing cover gasket. Oil + timing belt can mean engine death. An ordeal so consider swapping water pump while you are in there. Follow the FSM. I agree with others that you need to clean the engine for the other leaks but you really should get the camshaft proto. There will be others but attack the leaky ones first.

I just did my high and low return on ps pump. HP is a metal seal on banjo bolt (33 ft/lb). The low is two 10mm bolts to o ring and I also replaced the large rubber line. The tip I can give here is remove clamp from reservoir and pull the large rubber/metal tube assembly out from bottom to clean and service. The bottom clamp is "unpossible" to remove under the truck. If you even suspect any failure from your power steering reservoir replace it 44360-60101. Currently $54 from Amayama japan (chrome version, not the black).

good luck.

I can't say for sure what's leaking but if your suspect that there are any original seals or o-rings you might as well replace them all. There is an o-ring between the oil pump and block and if your going that far you might as well do the o-ring to the injection pump, front crank seal, timing cover seal, both vacuum pump o-rings.
I ended up doing exactly this. I had already pulled out the radiator and drained the oil, so cleaning and putting back together wasn’t really an option just to get a idea of exact leaks. Unfortunately the timing gear cover didnt actually seem to be leaking when I pulled it off, but I’m not too mad because I had to pull off the oil pipe to get to it, and it seems the rear banjo fitting may have been leaking. Here’s everything I ended up replacing:
- cam seal
- Crank seal
- crank pulley o ring
- injection pump seal
- oil pipe gaskets
- vacuum pump o ring.
- timing gear cover gasket

You have "schmutz" in your timing belt area as high as the tensioner pulley. I would pull and replace your camshaft seal and timing belt and timing cover gasket. Oil + timing belt can mean engine death. An ordeal so consider swapping water pump while you are in there. Follow the FSM. I agree with others that you need to clean the engine for the other leaks but you really should get the camshaft proto. There will be others but attack the leaky ones first.

I just did my high and low return on ps pump. HP is a metal seal on banjo bolt (33 ft/lb). The low is two 10mm bolts to o ring and I also replaced the large rubber line. The tip I can give here is remove clamp from reservoir and pull the large rubber/metal tube assembly out from bottom to clean and service. The bottom clamp is "unpossible" to remove under the truck. If you even suspect any failure from your power steering reservoir replace it 44360-60101. Currently $54 from Amayama japan (chrome version, not the black).

good luck.
Thanks for this reply and advice, I ended up replacing most the seals on the front of the engine and finished up a couple days ago- still need to drive it to see however. Everything that was difficult to get to got swapped out, and I power washed the engine to get it cleaned up. I should be able to see where any other leaks may be coming from

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom