1997 lx450 1fz-fe BURNING OIL?!?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, i have an lx450 with about 260k miles on it. It burns oil so i use 10w30 full synthetic mobil 1 oil. I change my oil every 2.5k miles. BUT!! I HAVE TO ADD 1 QUART EVERY 1K MILES. it burns oil bad! And i dont know what the problem is. Maybe its cause the car is old, and i have highmilage. And im pretty sure i dont have leaks because i rarely see any oil on the ground when its rainy. Or is it cause i use 10w30 full synthetic. Ive read that useing thicker oil is bad cause itll get clogged in my intake mani. Ive done a tune up, spark plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, and soon will do fuel filter. I also did a seafoam several thouasand miles before i did a tuneup. And also just sprayed my intake mani through my throuttle body with carb cleaner. Is that bad? Any advice, what to do and what not to do? Thanks.

...via IH8MUD app

I believe 1 quart per 1000 miles is normal for this engine. Do you have your owners manual?

My 173k mile '94 has plenty of leaks and doesn't spot on the ground.

But everything under the truck has a thick black anti-corrosion coating.

Rubber seals dry and shrink with age and miles. You've probably got a whole bunch of leaks that add up to a fair bit of oil loss, but not one leaks enough to make a puddle. You probably have some good undercoating from it. Common leak points are the PCV grommet and two PCV hoses, oil fill cap gasket, valve cover gasket, spark plug tube seals, distributor o-ring, oil pump cover gasket, front main seal, upper oil pan arch. The rear main seal is also a leak point, but it seems to be less common than the others.

Start with the FAQ and use the advanced search.

Try using Rotella T6 instead of Mobil 1. Lots of folks report their trucks sip Mobil 1 like water and that switching to Rotella helped the oil consumption.

Ill be working on my car this weekend, cleaning it as much as i can and being very careful. Oil change is due soon, and ill look more into that rotella oil. Would anyone suggest a stop leak oil additive? Not sure if those work but i could give it try?

...via IH8MUD app

I thought I read the 1 quart per 1000 miles in the owners manual but I may have just read it on Mud.

Having just rebuilt my 275k miles engine and burning oil like you, my oil was getting through the valve stem seal , depositing 1/8" thick carbon on the pistons. Otherwise just leaks on every seals but nothing worn on the block.

It's a common problem with valve stem seals on most Toyota so just rebuild the head and knockout the potential head gasket too. Chances are your HG is original, hence old valve seal leaks.

Main front seal (behind harmonic balancer), oil pump cover seal, dizzy seal, and valve cover gasket (really a big o-ring) changed the oil consumption on my two 80's down to manageable levels. Approximately $40 OEM parts cost at local dealer probably cheaper through Toyota Dan. There is a fantastic video on you tube by a guy from mud that shows how to do it. Very easy after watching the video even if your not so mechanically inclined. Pretty much a step by step and he shows you what to watch out for. He does a fantastic job.:cheers::cheers: Video does not cover valve cover gasket.

I've recently done this on my wife's 93 fzj80 and daughter's 94 fzj80 (Both were purchased thinking I would have a rig with front and rear locking diffs for wheeling when it was 105 F and I would have AC:bang:. Long story short..............I still wheel in the 40 in 105F but I have 80 axles under it!!). Search for the video, he does a great job and it is definitely worth watching.

Back to the Scotch and Water!! Wife has already told me that I've had too many tonight!:cheers:

How much $$ do you think itll be to do that? And i dont even know what ill need. Sucks i cant check out that chilton auto repair book at the public library i was looking at earlier today... haha

...via IH8MUD app

Thanks! Ill check it out, i didnt see your post until after i posted mine. Haha

...via IH8MUD app

Definitely not trying to be a jerk here or a know it all.............

But I don't think I've ever seen an engine with over 200k miles that didn't have oil leaks (Even TOYOTA.....but everything I have seen comes out of the oil fields). I'm not saying that it's not burning oil but at 260k miles unless those gaskets have been changed I would bet money you have oil leaks. Might be hard to determine if it's leaking on asphalt.

Have you looked at the front of the block? Is it grimy or greasy? If so.....you have an oil leak.

The leaks I defined above are very common on the 80's.

I just bought my LX450 about 6 months ago and noticed the same thing with consumption (235k). I switched to the Rotella 15w-40 full synthetic and it helped ALOT with the consumption. I think I burn the most oil during the initial start up after it has been sitting. The valve seals get worn and let oil past them until it runs for a bit. Start your truck up and sniff the exhaust for a second after it has sat overnight and you will probably smell oil for a few seconds. Do some research on what oil our FZJ's like. I learned a lot and I save alot of money every oil change and between oil changes!

www.bobistheoilguy.com is great site for reading about oil....

Didn't see your last post until I posted. Please check out that video. It's very good and :cheers::cheers: to the fine gentleman that posted it.

My wife was going through maybe 2 quarts every oil change. Those gasket changes made a world of difference. No longer do I hear "Oil light came on today you need to fix it".:bang::bang::bang:

Hi all,

I drive a 2004 LC 100 with 1fz fe engine (Gulf Spec) and it has done 170000 miles.
I replaced the spark plugs and the cables, the spark plug in cylinder 5 looked as if it took an oil bath. The carbon tracking was also found in few plugs.

Stock engine, the engine has not been opened so far.

Is there any way to determine if the leak is from the valve stem seal or oil control rings.

Note: my car burns approximately 1 liter oil every 650 miles.
The PCV valve was replaced 10000 miles ago.

IMG_20190528_094338.jpg

Valve stem seals might be wearing out as well if no leaks. If you have not done your HG replacement and are thinking of doing it, get your cylinder head rebuilt with new stem seals at a minimum. You may need stem guides as well. Machine shop can tell you if you do.

Like stated above, if this get worse after addressing the obvious leak points, next thing is head rebuild.

A worn Spark plug tube seal could explain the oil on the outside of the #5 plug.
In my experience worn valve stem seals tend to cause a puff of smoke when first starting an engine that has been sitting awhile.

Can you post up photos
What weight oil are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom