Builds 1975 FJ45-Running Rebuild (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Started stripping my truck for the resto, cuts the deck up as it was past it. Striped the towball off abs found a crack in the rear crossmember.

IMG_4050.JPG

IMG_4049.JPG

The crossmember is bent too along with the diagonals. Found the rear end of another chassis which was streight so doing a swap over of the rear end, been grinding the rivits all day......

Made more progress over the last few days, found a new rear end. Took a while to get all the rivets out and wirewheel the surface rust.

IMG_4058.JPG

Cut out the old lpg tank mounts and cleaned up the crossmember the best I could.

IMG_4056.JPG

Painted the rear chassis rails before reassembaly.

IMG_4057.JPG

Looks good reassembled, the 10mm button head bolts are a good replacement for the original rivets.

IMG_4064.JPG

Stripped the front end and degreased the engine/box before water blasting. Got a large proportion of the grime off which allowed me to find the oil leaks while I am this far in. Decided to repaint the engine which will look good when it's done.

IMG_4068.JPG

Taken the roof, doors, back panel and windscreen off. Took a while to strip the inside but the tub is ready to come off in the morning. Previously had cut and replaced the rear body bolts but ended up shearing the front two off...... main delay at the moment is waiting for the new suspension to turn up. But I do have a ff 70 series diff to fit in the back and all the parts to rebuild the front diff. Lots to get on with.

Cab is fully off now just down to work he chassis and running gear.

IMG_4079.JPG

Delved into my t-case to look for a oil leak. Found 6cm of seal missing, some idiot has just tried to silicone it up from the outside.

IMG_4082.JPG

Welded new purches on a ff 70 series diff, still waiting for the springs to turn up before refitting, diff needs new shoes too.

IMG_4091.JPG

Stripped and degreased the turbo side of the engine, look awhile but worth it as it looks mint with a new coat of engine enamel. Painted most of the bits to go back on, just got to decide what I want to do with the turbo and alternator.

IMG_4104.JPG

Painted more of the chassis up to where the back of the cab sits. Happy with my progress but the small jobs build up quickly.

Last edited:
Ended painting the rocker cover and most of the parts for the turbo side of the motor before discovering
i had to go further into the motor to replace the leaking seal than i though and further disassembly was needed.

1479510348587[1].jpg

Rocker cover of and out come the rockers

1479517158373[1].jpg

Pulled the pushrods and lifter (ordered), before pulling the cam, all look good

1479518642591[1].jpg

Got stuck yesterday as the crank timing gear would not come off, the seal is behind this alloy housing.

1479521025468[1].jpg

Slowly making progress this week as I have started work as a forester after finish uni, less time but more money.
Hoping to make more progress today.

Congrats on the new job Tom! Keep up the good work. The engine is looking great!!

Got the gear off with a bit of heat from a blow torch and the puller. Had to drop the sump and flexplate. Pulled the oil pump housing/gear housing with the injector pump attached and found the leak. Another 4cm of paper seal that was missing, no wonder this was leaking too. Will post some more pictures tomorrow, will degrease and paint the rest of the block before reassembly. Will have to get a smaller torque wrench and feeler gauges to put the valve train back together.

Found a few photos

My gear puller, relatively cheap that I bought for a timing belt job a few years ago, though I would use it once but has been very useful. had to weld 4 bolts together to make 2 that were long enough.

20161120_122420.jpg

Painted the lettering on the turbo crossover pipe, my mate has previously donew the "Toyota" red so I did the turbo black

20161118_173657.jpg

I
At the end of the two weeks all the rust was gone, failed a wof on tie rod ends and play in the stearing relay which I did not have time to fix before driving back down to Uni

View attachment 1119114

The FJ45 sitting with the PZJ70, still missing a few bits, badges, hooks..... on the PO's other truck. need to track them down. Had to get a new windscreen fitted to as the old one as cracked.

View attachment 1119117

Its hibernating place, nice and dry in a family friends old apple packhouse. Got most of the work done I wanted to, but still got more to go. i did lots more than is pictured, I just forgot to take pictures.....This truck is located at home in Hawkes Bay, North Island NZ. I am currently down in Canterbury at University, South Island (8 hour drive+ferry), which is annoying not being able to work on it. Looking forward to driving it again when I am next home.

View attachment 1119116
Im also the owner of a j70 and a 45 but on the otherside of the world! Great trucks

Bloody inspired actually. I wouldn't have the guts or knowledge to pull my engine apart. Well done. Great thread.

Bloody inspired actually. I wouldn't have the guts or knowledge to pull my engine apart. Well done. Great thread.

Guts and a bit of knowledge, have done a few timing belts before but this is the deepest I have gone into an engine. I have the manual so should go back together sweet.

This is the section of seal that was blown out, pain in the ass but got there in the end.

20161121_180118.jpg

Ended up pulling the injector pump off still attached to the oil pump/timing gear cover. still not decided if I will paint the injector pump or just clean it.

20161121_180141.jpg

Finished cleaning the intake side of the engine, took a while and lots of masking but it's painted now. Block is done so I can start putting it all back together.

20161122_203023.jpg

Still got lots of bits to paint, but slowly getting there. Painred the top of the injectors and the diesel return line so they will be going on after work Tomorrow.

hey taha, looking great man! question, noticed you have what looks like the exact same mechanical oil pressure sensor. did you have to get a brass adapter or did it go straight in with standard one?

hey taha, looking great man! question, noticed you have what looks like the exact same mechanical oil pressure sensor. did you have to get a brass adapter or did it go straight in with standard one?

Had to get an adapter, I also hate the plastic line so have got a copper one waiting on the shelf for it

Had to get an adapter, I also hate the plastic line so have got a copper one waiting on the shelf for it

know what you mean. i hate the plastic line too.

ok thanks, will have to scrounge around for an adapter

good progress mate, are you going to throw disc brakes and power steering on it or keep it more in its original early spec, I've got a reasonable size collection of Subaru callipers (for the rear) if you want to do a disc conversion. You probably already know the bolt pattern on the 70 series pinion flange wont match the 45 series driveshaft and the 45 flange is most likely coarse spline and the 70 will be fine spline but there's quite a few easy ways of sorting through that, keep up the good work :)

Just caught up mate looking fantastic mate keep up the good work

good progress mate, are you going to throw disc brakes and power steering on it or keep it more in its original early spec, I've got a reasonable size collection of Subaru callipers (for the rear) if you want to do a disc conversion. You probably already know the bolt pattern on the 70 series pinion flange wont match the 45 series driveshaft and the 45 flange is most likely coarse spline and the 70 will be fine spline but there's quite a few easy ways of sorting through that, keep up the good work :)

Yea, going to throw disks and power steering on the front and a new diff head. got all the parts sitting in the corner of the garage.

Not really bothered about disks on the back, got new shoes and slaves for the diff, just got to find the time to put them on.

Yea I know about the pattern difference, got several 60/70 driveshafts around somewhere, was planning to swap the end. Other option is my 70 rear diff is drilled for both bolt patterns so could switch the flanges if I am feeling lazy.

The front gear case and injector pump are back on, just gave them a good clean. Also got the oil pickup pipes and sump back on after work today. Going to buy an engine crane in the morning, planning to yank the engine when it's back together and running so I can work on the front of the chassis.

20161124_135006.jpg

Could not find any more pictures of what I have done, I keep forgetting to take any. So here is one of work yesterday visiting a logging crew who's hauler is over on the opposite Ridge.

I love this thread, been following since the start. I love that you're in uni, the 12H-T, the getting stuck in and the early tub and colour. Just so you're aware, insulation works best when it forms a complete barrier - a partial one won't do. So if you have time, clean down the firewall, paint it and line it all the way across and as far down as practical. Then do the inside, including inside the doors.

I love this thread, been following since the start. I love that you're in uni, the 12H-T, the getting stuck in and the early tub and colour. Just so you're aware, insulation works best when it forms a complete barrier - a partial one won't do. So if you have time, clean down the firewall, paint it and line it all the way across and as far down as practical. Then do the inside, including inside the doors.

Thanks for that, really happy with the way this project is progressing. Good tip with the insulation, it had a full lot on the inside of the firewall but will strip the lot for repaint and start again.

Made more progress today, got the timing sorted again. Made a fxxx up and put the crank timing cog on back backwards, figured it out when I could not find my timing marks. Remedied that before bolting the intake on along with lifters, rods and rockers before the rocker cover and all the parts for the turbo side of the motor.

20161126_180012.jpg

Would of got this done by the end of tomorrow, but heading on a road trip to pick up a 12ht 60, another one getting sacrificed for a mates fj45 well side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom