16x8 vs. 18x8 wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was considering a set of factory 18s on my 98. Is there a distinct advantage/disadvantage to either? I know, the 18s probably won't ride quite as well, and the tires are probably more expensive...anything else?

and less rubber between the rim and sharp rocks....
and much less choice in tires and wheels...

I am thinking of doing the reverse...I have 18" wheels on 04 LC and I want to swap them out with 16" wheels from 98 - 00 LC with winter tires. If I use the OEM tire sizes, are they interchangeable? I believe the OEM 16" tire size is 275/70/16 and OEM 18" is 275/60/18.

The 98-00 LC OEM tire size is 275/70/16. This tire has an OD of 31.157". The 275/60/18 has an OD of 30.992". That's only a half percent error on the speedo. The 98-00 OEM wheels are J16x8JJ60 with the 5x150 lug nut pattern.

ATLcrusher said:
I was considering a set of factory 18s on my 98. Is there a distinct advantage/disadvantage to either? I know, the 18s probably won't ride quite as well, and the tires are probably more expensive...anything else?

Looks like they are 2" bigger :) Plus they don't make many off road tires for the 18", but you will look good in the hood.

pgill said:
I am thinking of doing the reverse...I have 18" wheels on 04 LC and I want to swap them out with 16" wheels from 98 - 00 LC with winter tires. If I use the OEM tire sizes, are they interchangeable? I believe the OEM 16" tire size is 275/70/16 and OEM 18" is 275/60/18.

I read some where that you can't go that way because they went with larger rotors in the 18" LC's and the 16" wheels won't fit. I think the 17" wheels will fit over the larger rotors.

13Jan2005 (UTC +8)

Tyres for the 16" wheels are cheaper and more available and have more choices, than for the 18".

I hadn't noticed, but you're right about the off road tires in 18" sizes - not much out there. It wouldn't effect me, but I'm also curious about the rotor sizes changing, etc. Can somebody confirm this?

E9999, I noticed you (your wife) have an '03. What size wheels does it have and if they are 18", have you noitced any signficant issues traction wise in snow or off-road. I am getting close to buying an '05, but the 18" wheel tire options or lack thereof make me a tad nervous. My '01 Sequoia has 265/70/16s. Wonder how comparable the 275/60/18s are to those?

Pitbull said:
I read some where that you can't go that way because they went with larger rotors in the 18" LC's and the 16" wheels won't fit. I think the 17" wheels will fit over the larger rotors.

Thanks. That'd explain why there isn't a 16" option for 04 LC on Tirerack...17" was the smallest wheel Tirerack offered for 04 LC.

flyfish4life said:
E9999, I noticed you (your wife) have an '03. What size wheels does it have and if they are 18", have you noitced any signficant issues traction wise in snow or off-road. I am getting close to buying an '05, but the 18" wheel tire options or lack thereof make me a tad nervous. My '01 Sequoia has 265/70/16s. Wonder how comparable the 275/60/18s are to those?

the 03 has 18". We bought it used. I would have gotten 17" in a new one for sure.
Never been in serious snow with it or hardcore offroad - just a sprinkling of snow and desert trails and beaches. Has street tires so not very meaningful analysis. No problem seen.
I just looked yesterday at getting some AT tires for it, and found little choice. Revos for instance didn't have any that would fit the 18s. BFG does though, but only 1 IIRC. Dang expensive too.

And I recall seeing it mentioned here and there that 16s would not fit the later 100s.

Get 17"s

Rotor/Caliper part # are the same from 98-05 no change has been made on the Lexus side,
have in the past swaped from the various years , the 18s to the 16s with no fit issues
Putting the 18s on an older truck makes it look just like a new one.
At the dealer i havent had any complaints about the ride quality of the 18s /But few of my clients take the new ones off road.

Unfortunately, they made the 18" standard for 2005. Considered buying an '03 or '04 b/c of this, but I have not seen anything less than 18s b/c it seems to be a standard "option" on most all 2003-4 LCs. I am hoping that the tire selection will continue to evolve since there are more and more vehicles (entire Land Rover line) going to 18". Outside of E-Bay, does Toyota sell stock 16" or 17" OEM wheels? Could always change in conjunction with my first tire change.

Has anyone considered going under the truck and looking to see how much clearance there is for the 18" wheel around the rotors. I think it would be easy to tell if there was less than 2" of clearance all the way around. Just a thought. ;)

To find 16" OEM wheels should be easy. I've seen a few bling-rolling Crusiers :)confused: ) even in my little town and their OEMs are probably for sale somewhere.

Call me old-fashioned, but I just don't like the look of 18"+ wheels. I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla, huh?

well, if somebody really wants to get rid of 18", I bet it would take only a minute to convince a mall cruiser type to swap your 18s for his 17s...

flyfish4life said:
How bad can the 18s really be? The attached LR3 write-up by Edmunds seems to praise its off-road abilities and it comes standard with 18s. Surely the LC with 18s could get thru their tests.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Articles/articleId=103270?articleId=103270

I guess it won't make much difference for normal driving around and light trails. But it could become an issue if you needed to air down over rocks or encountered the odd rock or curb at high speed (less distance between ground and rim)?

I have been looking at going to a Cooper ATR in a 20" 295/55/20 which is same height as a 285/75/16 [33] from memory, and fit to a 20x9 rim.

And keep MTR with secondairs on my steel rims for offroad

New to site...I am also considering a change wheel tire change. Have a 2000 w/ OEM 16's. Any ideas for aftermarket wheels choices. I was told there are not many choices. I am interested in 16 or 17's. As for 18" tire choices. BF Goodrich offers one I know of...AT's 285/65/R18. Total dia. of 32.8 inches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom