Builds ROTW Houston FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
TLCSIdeshotsmall.jpg

My 80 Land Cruiser adventure started just under 3 years ago. Moving to Houston from Detroit, out of the auto industry and finding myself not having to drive a certain American brand for the first time in 8 years, I was excited at the prospect of driving something different. I had owned 3 Nissan Pathfinders (all 1st generation 2dr and 4drs) and was somewhat pleased with the experience. I didn't immediately have a job, so the plan was to get a used SUV that we could keep as a third vehicle when I did get a job... so I was in the market for a late model used Pathfinder (not having driven a newer model) when I went to Costa Rica on my Honeymoon. We decided to rent a 2002 Pathfinder to get an idea of the quality and capability - we had some great drives around the country planned and a lot of it wasn't paved.

After several days, I was very disappointed with the overall quality and cheap feeling the Pathfinder had. It seemed that the quality of materials and components has been dialed back since the first generation. While it was capable on mildly rugged terrain, it's manners didn't really build confidence that I wanted to do more aggressive driving. Needless to say, I knew I wouldn't be getting one. That got me wondering, because to that point I wasn't thinking about any other options...

Our last stop in Costa Rica had us dropping off the Pathfinder and flying to a remote resort on the coast. The only way into it from the grass landing strip was by the resorts shuttle... not knowing really paying attention to it at the time, it was a 80 diesel. The road to the resort was very rough... and I noticed that the Land Cruiser wasn't rattling or making any really weird noises for how old it seemed. I looked at the odo and it was around 180,000 Km. I was impressed that something that had this rough of life was in such great condition, not to mention handling the terrain with ease. I was hooked.

As soon as we got back I started hunting down 80s. I had found a locked sage 40th in perfect condition with 96K on the clock at a dealer here in North Houston. The only problem was that it was a little out of my 3rd car dog hauler price range. I finally found my 80 in Autotrader. It had 136K and was priced ok. I went to look at it and noticed a little bit of damage to the passenger side - a slight crease and minor damage to the flare and running board. The owner said the A/C has been cutting out once and a while (had no idea what that meant at the time), but it had been owned most of it's life by an older gentleman that always had it serviced at a dealership. He also had taken the idler pulley off because it was making some noise. Other than that, it was in great condition. I especially like the fact that it was a cloth interior (manual seats) that was re-done in high quality leather when it was new. The seats gave me (6'1") a lot more leg room, and the leather is nicer and softer than factory (not to mention the little bit of extra space under the seats to mount stuff).

I offered him a very low price because of the damage, not really expecting to get it, and he accepted. I was now the proud owner of a White/Oak 80.

Not being a hard core off-roader, I did want a bit more capability, specifically clearance and traction (not having lockers). My main goal was to be daily driver friendly and have decent expedition capability to go on wheeling trips with my son - eventually. I also wanted to update the interior a bit to make it more functional and up-to-date... i.e. Nav, XM, more than one power outlets, inverter, etc.

I started out doing some PM... not having found this site yet, I changed the fluids and had the A/C recharged (thinking that would solve the cutting out problem!). After enduring the HOT Texas summer with the Air Conditioning cutting out still... I found this site and haven't left since. Thanks to all on here for putting together a truly great Land Cruiser resource. I think it is unmatched in the automotive internet world. Also, as with other ROTW posters, thanks to Cdan for knowing every nut and bolt when I call and for the discounts! Hopefully you won't go anywhere anytime soon. A lot of us would be lost.

Over the past 3 years, I have done the following:

MAINTENANCE & REPLACEMENTS

Rear Hatch Struts
Factory cup holder
Starter Contacts
Optima Blue Top
Windshield & Factory Gasket
New black lug nuts (!)
Goodyear MT/Rs - Including Spare
Copper/Brass Radiator
New grille & black pearl emblem
Silicone PHH kit w/ Constant Torque Clamps
Firewall Heater Hose (FHH) Gates Green Strip Kit w/Breeze sleeved clamps Water Pump
Overflow bottle cap assembly
Fan clutch
Thermostat
Radiator hoses
Steering reservoir
OEM Spark Plugs/Plug wires
OEM Wiper blades
New Intake hose
Factory Throttle Body Cleaning
Heater hoses
Clean window switches & Track lube
Brembo Front Rotors Toyota Rear Rotors
Green Stuff Brake Pads Mobil 1 Synthetic fluids
Flushed Trans with Mobil 1 Synthetic
Washer diverter (x2)
AC Recharge
Refurbished MAF injectors
Fuel rail gaskets
Intake gaskets
New rear OEM carpet & scuff plate
Dynamat sound insulation - Rear Compartment and wheel wells

MODS

Black powder coated wheels
Spare tire lift
Speedo gear for tires
George's LEDs
OME 2.5" lift 851/860
OME steering dampener
1" Mr. Gasket Font Spacers
Castor correction bushings
Dual Battery Tray Installed w/extensive Tool Kit
Slee Washer Bottle Relocation
Autometer water temp gauge
Hella Horn
HID high beams
Center Diff Locking Switch
Painless 7 circuit extreme environment fuse block
Retractable under hood work light
12V power outlets (x4) in center console

2ndbatterytraywithtoolbag.jpg

Tool kit in the second battery tray

LCSmall.jpg

Poser shot

Brandoncruisersmall.jpg

Future LC owner

E-mailPHH.jpg

Why I started selling PHH Kits...​

NEAR FUTURE PROJECTS - Next 6 Months

2006 Toyota Navigation/JBL/XM/iPod control
Eclipse Speakers/Sub/Amp
Borla Exhaust (Original has leaks)
1000 Watt Inverter under Driver Seat
Gauge bulbs replaced
Gauge cluster clear cover replaced (scratched a bit)
Heat rejection blanket (Trans tunnel and above Cat)
New front OEM carpet
Rear 12V constant hot outlets

LONG TERM PLANNED PROJECTS

Slee SliderSteps
ARB Bumper
850/863 OME springs
Winch
Slee Rear Bumper and tire carrier

Tool kit in the engine bay? Sound like a standard feature on a Land Rover!

Only kidding. Good write up and great looking ride. Sounds like you have done some great work on the LC. Wanna see more pics after the future mods!

Tidy wagon there and a very good colour. It hides the scratches.

Nice write-up, So you put the 2nd battery tray in just for storage or are you planning on doing a second battery soon.

Romer said:
So you put the 2nd battery tray in just for storage or are you planning on doing a second battery soon.

I was wondering the same thing.

Nice write up.:cheers:

Thanks for contributing.:D

Planning on a second battery when I add a winch... timetable is pretty far off 2 or so years and I wanted a space for a tool kit...

Still haven't figured out what to do with the tool kit once I get the battery though...

Houston FZJ80 said:
Still haven't figured out what to do with the tool kit once I get the battery though...

Thats your excuse to invest in African Outback Drawers.:D

reffug,
I have a new found respect for you logic.

More Pics!

Nice work!

Can you describe more in detail about the heat blanket? Have you looked into manufacturers? Any other details?

Thanks again.

Insulatorsmall.jpg

Insulation blanket from Summit

insulator2small.jpg

Looks like it would help some

Fuseblocksmall.jpg

Painless fuse block under passenger seat per Slee
7 circuits, 4 ign switched 3 constant hot

Lightsmall.jpg

Underhood retractable light... perfect mounting location

Lightreachsmall.jpg

Note the reach... can get anywhere on the cruiser and has a magnetic base

12Vsmall.jpg

Two of the 4 12V outlets now in the center console. 2 more internally with 1 cord coming through to the forward open junk holder for my blackberry

MousseMochaintheTLCsmall.jpg

Lucky labs call the whole back their own... 3rd row seat belts were chewed through​

Last edited:
what tools do you carry under the hood?

Curious, how do you like that pet/cargo barrier? I think I have the same thing, but have not put it in the LC. I used it in my 1st gen 4runner, but it cut into the foam on the ceiling. It also seemed to move/wiggle loose over time. Have you had any problems with it, or done anything special to it to prevent harming the interior lining?

I will take a pic of the tool kit, but it is essentially a mirror of the tools I use 90% of the time working on the rig... ratchet wrenches, etc. I also have some electrical and hose patching crap that I hope I never use.

The cargo barrier was great. Used it for about 6 months, and then the dogs just realized they shouldn't jump over the back seats. Haven't used it in 2 years and have never had a problem.

They are Sealink Marine heavy duty application outlets. Most marine stores have them, or search online for Sealink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom