OME heavies, Slee front bumper, Warn XD9000 on, in, and kickin' butt. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installed a whole bunch o' stuff on my 80 this weekend.
My father and I put on OME 850 / 863 coils, OME N73 / N74E shocks, OME caster correction bushings, a Slee front bumper, and a Warn XD 9000 winch on my 1993 FZJ80.

Partay.

The coils and shocks went on really slick. The previous owner had replaced the OEM shocks with Monroes sometime in the past, so we didn't have to wrestle with any bolts. Christo's instructions were right on.

The OME coils are really impressive compared to the OEM coils--they're thicker, heavier, a bit taller, and have more coils. In case you haven't seen the 850s and 863 compared to the OEM coils, here are some pics:

OME vs OEM front:
OEM%20vs%20OME%20front.jpg

OME vs OEM rear:
OEM%20vs%20OME%20rear.jpg

They look nice and shiny when installed:
OME%20front%20coils.jpg

My stock distance from front hub center to the bottom of the front fender was 19.5 inches. With the OME suspension kit installed on an otherwise stock truck the front hub center to fender bottom distance increased by exactly 3 inches to 22.5 inches.
I forgot to measure the stock rear ride height, but assuming it was the same as the front, I gained 4 inches out back.

Luckily, I also had a Slee front bupmer and a Warn XD9000 winch to put out front.

Putting the XD9000 in the Slee bumper turned out to be a little more complicated than expected. The first problem came when we tried to integrate the bumper, winch, and fairlead.

The XD9000 uses the four front holes on the Slee bumper. The fairlead presumably uses the bottom pair of these same four holes, as well as the holes in the long horizontal tabs and extra long bolts supplied by Slee.

The winch mounts lined up nicely with the four front holes, but the fairlead didn't want to line up with the holes in the horizontal tabs, the lower font holes--and more importantly--the cable slot at the same time.

When lined up with the cable slot centered in the fairlead rollers, the fairlead bolt holes miss the lower front bumper holes, and the vertical rollers are about a half inch below the horzontal tab:
Slee%20holes%20vs%20Warn%20holes.jpg

We ended up drilling two new holes in the fairlead and mounted it centered on the cable slot, flush with the horizontal tab, and bolted through the lower front holes and into the winch.

We encountered another minor misfit when we actually bolted on the winch. The bolts supplied by Warn were too small for the slightly oversize slots on the Slee bumper.
You can see how the Warn-supplied washer barely covers the slot in the bumper:
Slee%20holes%20vs%20Warn%20bolts.jpg

Again, no big deal. We just used bigger washers.

Warn XD9000 mounted in the Slee front bumper:
Warn%20in%20Slee.jpg

Finally mounted in the bumper, the winch wouldn't clear the front DS frame rail by a scant couple millimeters. A little bashing (on the fram rail) fixed this problem straightaway.

With bumper and winch installed out front, my lift decreased by exactly one-half inch, netting me exactly the OME advertised 2.5 inches. The rear end is still high, but I've got plans for a custom rear bumper in the works. If I find myself annoyed by the rake I'll throw something heavy in the back until I can get the bumper done.

After wrapping up the suspension and bumper, I thought I'd quickly mount up the OME heavy duty steering damper. I was ultimately foiled by the OEM bushings. Neither of us could figure out how to get the steering damper off. After battling for about a half hour, we decided to give up. If anyone can give me some wisdom describing the removal of the OEM steering damper, I'd appreciate it. I ended up squeezing grease out of a few rubber bushing gasket thingys as well. Please help.

Putting the steering damper behind us, we turned to the OME caster correction bushings.

We marked up the control arms per the OME instructions, removed them, and drove 30 miles to an industrial mineral processing plant where we had access to a hydraulic press.
On the drive in we discussed the procedure described in Christo's instructions. The jig idea sounded like the way to go, and in short order my dad layed out a control arm and some bolts on a fabricating table, fired up a nearby arc welder, and zapped the bolts directly to the fab table in less time than it takes to read the instructions.

Christo's press peice worked flawlessly, and we had the old bushings out and the new ones in and lined up via our jig in no time at all. Unfortunately, we didn't notice our error until we had driven the 30 miles back to the house:

"How NOT to lay out your OME caster bushing jig:"

Rather than measure any center to center distances, we layed out the arms with the stock bushings still installed and welded appropriately sized bolts to the table according to their positions in the stock bushings--this is the right way to do it--our error came when we set up a third bolt in the rear bushing and welded that down too.
After pressing in the new front busing according to our mark on the control arm, we took the arm back to the jig, popped it down on the front bolt AND the rear bolt, and lined up the second OME bushing over the remaining bolt. This kept our center to center distance but it didn't offset the bushing holes correctly. We ended up with two new bushings with their holes both higher than the OEM ones.
Sorry, I forgot to take pictures. Our error was so obvious it was just plain stupid. Your jig should NOT involve the lonely rear bushing in any way whatsoever.
Anyway, things were going so well with the press, we didn't even consider that we had set it all up wrong.

We realized our mistake 40 minues and 30 miles later when we were back under the truck. Needless to say we had to drive all the way back out the the plant ot repress the bushings. We did it right the second time.

The caster arms reinstalled perfectly and the truck drives superbly on the highway. My stock caster angle was pretty much about 4 degrees. I'll get the new caster angle measured as soon as I can and report back.

The new ride feels great. Firmer, yet somehow a little more compliant at the same time. The new shocks settle the chassis quickly. I haven't had it offroad yet, but I've blasted through every dip and speedbump in the neighborhood. I love it. Can't wait to get it out.

Last but not least, here are some pics of the now not-so-stock '93:

OME%20heavy%20Slee%20Warn%20front%202.jpg

Slee%20approach.jpg

OME%20heavy%20stock%20rear%20departure.jpg

OME%20Heavy%20and%20stock%20rear.jpg

Slee%20Warn%20close%202.jpg

Front%20Slee%20Warn.jpg

Slee%20Warn%20close.jpg

Hayes

Last edited:
Good looking rig I really want to lift and protect mine. You have it going on, now get some pics in the difference of articulation please.

Hey the steering dampner is a snap w/ a pickle fork. you just hammer it in and the dampner will pop out

Hayes said:
The XD9000 uses the four front holes on the Slee bumper. The fairlead presumably uses the bottom pair of these same four holes, as well as the holes in the long horizontal tabs and extra long bolts supplied by Slee.

The winch mounts lined up nicely with the four front holes, but the fairlead didn't want to line up with the holes in the horizontal tabs, the lower font holes--and more importantly--the cable slot at the same time.

That is what you get for not having all the instructions on-line. My bad. The fairlead needs to be drilled b dedign. What yoou did is correct, but remove the two pins for the vertical rollers, and replace with the big bolts supplied. It bolts the fairlead to the fairlead support. Insert the bolts from the bottom so that nuts are at the top. The reason we raised the fairlead is so that the bolt heads are not below the bumper. Just a little extra clearance.

"Nice old man slippers in that last picture."

Some days I feel like an old man, buy I like my comfy shoes every day.

"Hey the steering dampner is a snap w/ a pickle fork."

Shows how much I know. I thought you were talking about an actual fork for eating Dill pickles. Figured it out, though. I'll make a quick stop by the hardware store on my way home.

Speaking of tie rods, steering rods, etc., is there any way to grease those joints? While manipulating the damper, I squished a lot of grease out of the one that connects to the knuckle (don't know the right name)?

Hayes

No worries Christo.
The instructions I did have were right on target. If we couldn't deal the occasional challenge, we probably shouldn't be installing all this stuff ourselves.
Thanks again for providing well designed and manufactured products. (And thanks for shipping them so quickly)

Hayes

Hayes said:
"Nice old man slippers in that last picture."

Some days I feel like an old man, buy I like my comfy shoes every day.

"Hey the steering dampner is a snap w/ a pickle fork."

Shows how much I know. I thought you were talking about an actual fork for eating Dill pickles. Figured it out, though. I'll make a quick stop by the hardware store on my way home.

Speaking of tie rods, steering rods, etc., is there any way to grease those joints? While manipulating the damper, I squished a lot of grease out of the one that connects to the knuckle (don't know the right name)?

Hayes

well, pickle forks tend to bust this type of joints. Get a tie rod puller instead.

I broke a gear puller trying to get mine off (stearing stabilizer) Then used an air chizzle....lots of sweat and swearing later.....I used a pickle fork that didn't work either for the rod side until I hubbed the pickle fork and then used the top portion of my jack handle as a breaker bar and then levered it with all my might and the thing finally popped loose and sent me to the ground.

The stearing stabilizer is the worst part of any lift!!! even after doing a couple of lifts it is still the worst part.

"No stink bug look and you didnt pack the front? If you didnt how come others chime in with the front raking with the heavies?"

That photo doesn't really show the true rake. There's 22 inches between the front hub and fender, and 23.5 inches between the rear hub and fender. It is a stink bug, it just doesn't look it in the photo.

Hayes

Hayes said:
"No stink bug look and you didnt pack the front? If you didnt how come others chime in with the front raking with the heavies?"

That photo doesn't really show the true rake. There's 22 inches between the front hub and fender, and 23.5 inches between the rear hub and fender. It is a stink bug, it just doesn't look it in the photo.

Hayes

Those are the same measurements I have front/rear after installing the OME lift. I have a pronounced "stink bug". Just need to decide what rear bumper I want to install :D

I don't think your picture showed it due to the driveway slope???

Rich J

Conquering the steering stabilizer:

Not sure if I should be ashamed or not, but...

I teach a high school here in SLC. This morning I took 80 by the autoshop and asked the teacher (great guy, retired from professional career as an auto mechanic) to have his "advanced" students take off my old steering damper and put on the new one.

I just couldn't get excited about doing it myself.

They did it for me during first period.

This feels like a confession.

Hayes

No shame in that....sounds like the perfect steering damper install to me...they are a PITA

Driving to grocery store is more enjoyable now...

...especially when I hop that big island in the middle of the road...

Hayes

Very nice and clean rig.

clarkrw3 said:
I broke a gear puller trying to get mine off (stearing stabilizer) Then used an air chizzle....lots of sweat and swearing later.....I used a pickle fork that didn't work either for the rod side until I hubbed the pickle fork and then used the top portion of my jack handle as a breaker bar and then levered it with all my might and the thing finally popped loose and sent me to the ground.

The stearing stabilizer is the worst part of any lift!!! even after doing a couple of lifts it is still the worst part.

I broke a pitman-arm puller, then a gear puller and finally got pissed off and bought a pickle fork that attached to my air hammer.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom