The 100 has stalled on me several times (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I picked up the Cruiser two years ago, the truck stalled on me the first day. I slowed down quickly for a stop sign, stopped briefly and applied the gas slowly while turning right and the truck died. About a year later it happened in a parking lot. I applied the breaks to slow down and turned left, and barely applied the gas and the truck stalled. It happened again in the last week. All three times while I was going less than 5 mph and after applying the breaks and turning. Anybody else have this problem.

My fuel gauge was off by about 2 gallons in my last truck and it had a very flat tank, simple idea from a simple brain! Just a thought.

any chance it is a tps problem? I remember reading that it is not uncommon on the 100's

stallled? Completely shut down?

I had the tps problem and the vehicle would drive fine, then I would pull up to a stoplight, hit the accelerator pedal and the car would not move. It would just idle. It did not stall. Just no response from the go pedal. Very scary feeling sitting in traffic.

uzj100

My guess is not a TPS issue.

Sounds more like a fuel delivery issue/ecu issue. However, I would think you would throw a code. Perhaps a faulty fuel cut off solenoid i.e. as if you turned over your vehicle.

The truck would stall and I would have to turn the key off and restart the truck. I thought that I had a lemon when it happended the first day I bought it. The taxi behind me was honking and I was hoping that it would start. The truck started fine. I wonder if the load on the engine from the driveline due to the all wheel drive would stall it if you are start barely moving after slowing down quickly while turning? Every time the rpms would fall and then hit zero.

Last edited:
May want to hook it up to a code reader or comuputer with the software and try and simulate the stall to see what is up. It sounds like something is not telling the computer that the truck is running at times, so it shuts down. Have you looked over all the vaccuum connections? Do you have the FSM and prepared to use it? if not get it and go over the dianagostic section and you may find your problem, I do agree it should kick a code, but some time stuff happens. or take it to a trusted mechanic or dealership to get tested. This is not right and could create you a accident for you or someone else that drive it. later robbie

Dirty EGR valve? Dunno s*** about mechanics, but on my old '95 LS400 Lexus, I had a stalling problem. Replaced a bunch of stuff, to finally come to the conclusion that a dirty EGR valve was the culprit.

Hey what up 99 cruiser I to have a 98 and it has done it twise on me. once slowining donwn and making a left and once driving slow in a parking lot. did you find and solution for the stalling as of yet? by the way hope everyone had a merry christmass and a happy new year>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
99Cruiser said:
When I picked up the Cruiser two years ago, the truck stalled on me the first day. I slowed down quickly for a stop sign, stopped briefly and applied the gas slowly while turning right and the truck died. About a year later it happened in a parking lot. I applied the breaks to slow down and turned left, and barely applied the gas and the truck stalled. It happened again in the last week. All three times while I was going less than 5 mph and after applying the breaks and turning. Anybody else have this problem.

did you guys by any chance turn off your AC during any of these incidents, on my sc400 sometimes when I would either turn off the air or just turn off the ac compressor the car would die, it would just drop rpms and die. maybe this might be your problem too.

Tommy

I was having a slow speed stalling problem, it ended up being the MAF sensor. Since that was replaced I have had no further problems.

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread. I've had a similar stalling problem on my '97. It is a completely different engine, but I'd try checking the TPS and the ignition timing. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Try cleaning your intake manifold. Go to your local auto parts store. Buy an aresol bottle of throttle body cleaner, take off the plastic ducting going from your air cleaner to the intake and spray and wipe until clean. Use a stick or a piece of wood or plastic and hold the butterfly valve open. Spray inside, use a toothbrush, rag to clean as much as you can. It should solve your issues. Is not, you at least have eliminated that as a potential problem. Be sure to hook the ducting back up before you try to restart your Cruiser. Search the threads, this was recently discussed. Mine had been doing the stalling bit for some time. Cleaned it up and it is running like new, 185k miles on her. It never did throw any codes.

Phil 1999 Land Cruiser 185,000 miles and running strong:clap:

This thread was 4 years old. Hopefull its fixed now.

My wife has had our 2005 LC stall at a stoplight twice in the last two months. 183,000 on it all maintainance up to date, replaced battery last time it happened, thought that fixed the problem because it was the original one, then it happened again the other day, no codes, she put it in park and it started right back up, any ideas on the problem?

My wife has been driving it all week without any problems, but I'm still concerned that something is wrong. Any suggestions on how to diagnose the problem?

What maintenance is kept up to date? Some forget to keep the TB and MAF clean on a regular basis. Should be done at least every 10-15k miles.

Thanks, yes both have been cleaned, as of October. So I'm thinking something electrical. I bought this LC because it had been dealership maintained, for its 165000 life. When we bought it I have brought it to our trusted mechanic. Recently changed all the fluids and brake pads this past October, along with TB and MAF thanks to this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom