Front axle service, brakes, rear bearing repack, etc... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
O.K. guys here's what I'm getting ready to do (PM mostly) to the Cruiser, what am I forgetting.

Full front axle service, Brakes front and rear, repack rear bearings, fuel filter, antenna mast, plugs/cap/rotor/wires, thermostat, change tranny fluid, add CDL switch, pin 7 mod., starter contacts and plunger, replace all belts, wiper refills, washer diverter, piezo chirper.

Have already: Flushed cooling system, replaced PHH, radiator cap, extended all breathers,baselined all fluids a year ago.

I have: 5 rolls paper towels, brake cleaner, 20 gal. parts washer, hand tools/air tools, FSM, birf. repack DVD, jacks, stands, all grease and fluids, all parts coming from C-Dan, fish scale, cruiser specific tools, 12'X24' air-conditioned portable building, 3 full days off and near 100 deg. heat and a chocolate Lab.

Would this be a good time to start drinking?

Last edited:
flintknapper said:
Would this be a good time to start drinking?

Only if I get to help................ :grinpimp:

Hey flint--

How about some time between different PM's to sit and ponder how really incredible these vehicles are...also, food is good when you are working hard, as well as sleep...maybe coffee...

Air conditioned...now that is sweet...

Good luck man. Let us know how it goes.

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

flintknapper said:
.....all parts coming from C-Dan, fish scale, cruiser specific tools, 12'X24' air-conditioned portable building, 3 full days off and near 100 deg. heat and a chocolate Lab.Would this be a good time to start drinking?

Hell, if you managed the PHH with only the help of a Lab, you'll knock all that other 5h!t out in one day and 12 :beer: s

elmariachi said:
Hell, if you managed the PHH with only the help of a Lab, you'll knock all that other 5h!t out in one day and 12 :beer: s

If you call getting his big 'ol block head right in the way of everything "help"!

That sounds like FUN!

Couple tips:

You can do the rear bearings without draining/spilling diff fluid if you jack one side of the axle up at a time.

Get a half dozen pairs of nitrile gloves.

Have at least 6 cans of brake cleaner on hand. I recently used 10 doing front axle rebuild and rear bearings, but I don't have a parts washer. Seems like it takes a half can to clean a rotor upon assembly, though.

Any body know the thread dimension in the end of axle shaft (what bolt do I need) or is getting the snap ring back on even a problem.

It's probably not the "preferred" method, but I've always found a slightly smaller bolt inserted into the hole and cocked sideways has enough grip to pull the axle shaft out to install the snap ring. You really don't need that much pressure to pull the shaft out, so I don't think you're gonna risk damaging the threads or anything.

You've got quite a line-up of things to do. I'd prioritize them in your mind based on the various conditions of things. That way if you get hung up on something and it takes too much time, you will have gotten the most important stuff done first.

Ary

I belive that bolt it is a M8 x 1.25. I don't see an easy way to get the snap ring on without it.

Those internal snap ring pliers with the flats on them come in really handy (got mine @ Napa).

The 54mm socket SST and the rear axle special tool are going to come in handy for you.

Charlie

CharlieS said:
I belive that bolt it is a M8 x 1.25. I don't see an easy way to get the snap ring on without it.

Those internal snap ring pliers with the flats on them come in really handy (got mine @ Napa).

The 54mm socket SST and the rear axle special tool are going to come in handy for you.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie,

Thats what I was looking for. I have all of the tools you mentioned so as soon the parts arrive the fun begins.

Full front axle service, Brakes front and rear, repack rear bearings, fuel filter, antenna mast, plugs/cap/rotor/wires, thermostat, change tranny fluid, add CDL switch, pin 7 mod., starter contacts and plunger, replace all belts, wiper refills, washer diverter, piezo chirper.

I'm planning on doing everything on your list except for the piezo chirper (not even sure what that is, must be for the alarm). Can you PM me and give me an idea of what the funds I need to set aside for the parts. Did you get the rear SST from someone on the board? I though they were discontinued.

aamiggia said:
I'm planning on doing everything on your list except for the piezo chirper (not even sure what that is, must be for the alarm). Can you PM me and give me an idea of what the funds I need to set aside for the parts. Did you get the rear SST from someone on the board? I though they were discontinued.

As I understand it the rear SST has been discontinued. Tim A. (known as "tarbe" here) went to the trouble to locate some and offered them here a couple of months ago. I don't know if he still has the one extra or not.

I'll PM ya about the cost of my project.

Nope, Tim doesn't have an extra anymore. (I bought it).

Charlie

Parts are here! Oh joy..............

Got my work cut out for me now.

How does this sound for a plan of attack:

1. Replace belts, Idler pulleys, Thermostat & gasket, plugs, wires, cap & rotor, PCV valve & grommet, Check timing and set idle.

2. Starter contacts & plunger, Fuel filter, oil change.

3. Antenna mast, CDL switch & pin 7 mod., dash bulb, piezo chirper, w/s washer diverter, wiper blades.

4. Repack rear axle bearings, rear brake pads, adj. parking brake, check LSPV.

5. Full front axle service: (repack birfs, replace all bearings and seals, new rotors and 100 series pads).

6. Flush tranny fluid (been a year and 15,000 miles), flush and bleed brake system.

****Point out to wifey how much money we saved!**** (What amount should I tell her "truthfully")?

I use the phrase "I saved us thousands of dollars". It makes the next accessory purchase that much easier...

Seriously though, the front axle service is over $1200 according to the PO service reciepts. Front brakes alone are $600. The rest would nickle and dime you at $50-100 per item, plus the added cost of paying retail costs for parts.

My recommendation would be to do the front axle service and brakes first. The rest is all easy after making it through that ordeal (not hard, just time consuming and messy). Then the rear axle service and brakes. Do the rest as time allows.

Good luck and have fun. Wish I was around to help.

Charlie

Are you doing the 100 series brake upgrade? Maybe too late if the parts are already on the way....

I think it is really a worthwhile spend.

If it were below 90, I'd offer to help :) As it is, I am holding off on my contacts, PHH and fuel filter until fall. IH8Sweat....

aamiggia said:

If you can't find one, one of us will gladly mail ours to you. Just ask...they spend most of their time hanging on the pegboard!

flintknapper said:
As I understand it the rear SST has been discontinued.

not correct.

You right!

cruiserdan said:
not correct.

I stand corrected. In fact there was one packed in my box of parts.

flintknapper said:
I stand corrected. In fact there was one packed in my box of parts.

Yup, just like you asked.......... :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom