light went out on my odometer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The D light on my odometer went out and I was wondering how i get that fixed?
I am out of warrenty, so i dont want to take to the dealer cause they like raping me.

Strike the top of the dashboard hard with your open palm, directly above the instrument cluster. If that doesn't do it, try, try again. If it still doesn't light up, wait a day or so and try one more time.
This technique works for 90 percent of us. It was invented by Junk, so give him props.

The other 10 percent have to search this site or Slee's web site for dashboard removal instructions and replace the little lamp -- I think C-Dan has posted the part number at some point in history. Whileyou're in there, you might as well replace or at least re-seat all of the bulbs, since they are all subject to the same wear and vibration.

LT

I've replaced mine. pulled the dash twice. It, too, sucks. Would be better to pull the steering wheel, but no way I was trying that. I ordered extra lights and replaced some others as well.

I was hitting the dash the whole time I had the thing apart. It was a little too late for that.

emrillive said:
are you serious? about hitting it?

Sure. It works for me. The light was out when I bought the truck about 18 months ago, and lit up again for about 4 months after I read Junk's post and banged on the dashboard.
It went out again back in June or July, but came on again when I banged on it a couple of times. it's been on ever since.

LT
:cool:

I have a 2000 LC. My "D" light went out too.

I took the instrument panel out of the dash and pulled out the bulb to look at it. The filament was burned out.

The dealership didn't have it in stock and they had to order it.

It was something like $1.98

My D light was out when I bought my LC, and frankly if it’s as bright as the other lights, than leaving it off is fine with me.
Dean

DMX - Actually, the D-light has two brightness levels. in daylight, it's as bright as the other indicator lights (N, etc); but when you turn on your headlights, it dims to half of that brightness.
A quick pound on the dashboard just above the instrument cluster might be all you need. There are a few cases of burnout, but frankly that bulb should be good for at least decade or so. It's probably just loose.

HTH

LT

ELLTEE said:
DMX - Actually, the D-light has two brightness levels. in daylight, it's as bright as the other indicator lights (N, etc); but when you turn on your headlights, it dims to half of that brightness.
A quick pound on the dashboard just above the instrument cluster might be all you need. There are a few cases of burnout, but frankly that bulb should be good for at least decade or so. It's probably just loose.

HTH

LT

I'll give it a try thanks
Dean

I'll be darned if that did not work as exactly described on my D light this morning. Hit the dash and bang light came back on.

I will be hitting my dash when I get back in the LC. I should have searched before.

I will let you know what happens.

uzj100

The slap dash method did not work.

uzj100

tyr slapping Junk........it might not make the light come on............but it will make you feel better :D

uzj100 said:
The slap dash method did not work.

uzj100

man screw that light. Mine went out about 6 months ago and the other day I was driving in 2 and I couldn't believe I ever drove with that stupid D light on. The freakin thing is blinding at night.

Leave it out- you won't miss it in a week.

BuckFan74 said:
man screw that light. Mine went out about 6 months ago and the other day I was driving in 2 and I couldn't believe I ever drove with that stupid D light on. The freakin thing is blinding at night.

Leave it out- you won't miss it in a week.

No Joke. I need to find a way to dim the "Cruise" light. It is way too bright and is a distraction in night driving.

I have the "No D" mod installed and have no plans to fix it unless P,R,N or 2 go out.

If it bothers you that much, how about a permanent marker on the bulb. It'll still let light through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom