birf job parts -- (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
birf job parts exposed --

-- for my '91 this weekend -- i need to go get me a cold shower -- :D

e

Last edited:
pups are going to kennel, rick -- breathe deeper -- :D

Last edited:
how many dogs do you have?

good luck with the repack

RavenTai said:
how many dogs do you have?

good luck with the repack

dogs are a-plenty --

-- this is my '91's first axle service -- the wheels wobbled back in december and ben at slee tightened them up -- since then, i've been on borrowed time --

-- 195K though is a long time to run (and leak) -- :idea:

e

Last edited:
What are the parts in the lower right hand corner of the pic? They look like new studs that the nut, flat washers and cones go on, PN 43421B? I guess I've never heard of anyone replacing those.

Eric

Five dogs - Yikes thats a lot of yaed work / disposal!
How many do you keep of those five dogs? Are they all rescued mutts :)

Joe

DRTDuck said:
What are the parts in the lower right hand corner of the pic? They look like new studs that the nut, flat washers and cones go on, PN 43421B? I guess I've never heard of anyone replacing those.

We're sort of expecting the worst -- if they're deformed, missing, etc., we're just gonna replace them -- Rick mentioned to locktite them in --

-- besides, i don't know what else to do with them -- :eek:

e

Big_Moose said:
Eric

Five dogs - Yikes thats a lot of yaed work / disposal!
How many do you keep of those five dogs? Are they all rescued mutts :)

Joe

Hey Joe -- just spud, precious and thor are mine -- all rescues -- the others I normally get from high-kill shelters and vet them, and place them with great families -- here's some pics --

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=s2ntlvj.3c3erx47&x=0&y=-kcxbmu

e

I used two "tubs" of moly that size for each of the birfields (4 total) and a "tube" of synthetic M1 for the wheel bearings in each wheel (2 total)

ppc is about right, I beleive I used two TUBS on each side, and about 1.5 TUBES for bearings, etc.

Ditto on the moly - your pile is almost as pretty as mine was :flipoff2:

Lots_o_stuff.jpg

Looks like you've got a full weekend ahead of you!

Good luck brother....hope all goes well in there.

:cheers:

Tucker

...and looks better than mine did :eek:

birf_2.jpg

Don't forget to spread plastic on the floor prior to disassembly. Then you can just goop the stuff onto the plastic and roll it up and be done with the mess.

I still haven't gotten to the bottom of my box-o'-stuff from cdan. One front axle done, three axles to go. Hope not to find too many parts when it's all over, and not to have to buy too many more in the process. Buying rod ends, not sure what tool I'll need to get the old ones off, Harbor Freight?

...and looks better than mine did :eek:

birf_2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That's what mine looked like! I could tell a huge difference in the tightness of the steering and overall feel after i did the birf job. Good luck.

Oh, and i second the plastic on the floor idea. It's really messy.

Looks like you're missing a set of wheeld bearings.

Man, talk about anal... replaceing grease caps too??

Have fun! :)

:beer:
Rookie2

scottm said:
Buying rod ends, not sure what tool I'll need to get the old ones off, Harbor Freight?
OTC_7315A.JPG

Buy it! you'll like it! no damage to the rubber boots and more importantly... actually works! (unlike those 2/3 arm pullers)

oh... and ditto on the grease.
I think I used 3 tubs of the Moly (purple) for just the birfs.
2-3 tubes of the red for the wheel bearings.

The thing is, this job is so time consuming, and grease is relatively inexpensive, so buy a LOT. More than you think you need. You'll use the remainder some other time anyway.

If you run out in the middle of the job you'll be pissed.... :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom