FZJ80 Vs LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

devo

SILVER Star
Threads
This is my first time to stray from the 40/60 tech forum to ask a question.

Are there any differences between an 80 and a 450 once the foofoo on the Lexus is stripped away.
Are the suspesions the same?
Do they come with factory diff locks?
Can you use 80 suspension/off road upgrade part on the 450?

I have a feeling these question have been visited before so thanks for your time.
devo

no
pretty much, the lx has softer springs
yes - well, some do
absolutely

Devo,

There are minor electrical, body, badging, and shock differences.

The LX has side and rear plastic body cladding.
The LX has body colored mud flaps.
The LX has different shaped headlights and front grille.
The LX has clear side marker lenses.
The LX came with a different sound system that has the sub in the console and a 6 disc CD.
The LX does not have a rear sub-woofer so the right cargo area panel is different.
The LX does not have speakers above the 3rd row seats.
The LX speakers are made by Pioneer. 2nd row speakers & speaker grills are larger.
The LX has various Lexus badges (front, rear, engine, steering wheel, and others).
The LX has different alloy wheels and center caps.
The LX has softer shocks.
The LX was equipped with the Auto climate control that was avail in '97 40th and CE models.
The LX, reportedly, has a higher quality leather.
The LX uses different FSM and EWD manuals and may have different colored wires so it's a good idea to use the appropriate manuals if you are a DIY guy.
Some of the LX interior brackets are painted different colors than the corresponding bracket on the LC.
The LX windshield tint is bronze and the LC tint is blue. (Per NorCalDug 14.May.2004)

The LX has built-in cell phone (Optional & '96 technology)
The LX Left Rear sliding window is fixed and does not slide open. (All LX's with or without optional cell phone)
(This slider had cell phone antenna on it)

Lexus dealers will provide the vehicle service record for all work done at any Lexus dealer.

The diff locks were optional on both the LX and LC. Approx 7% of LC's had the option. Nobody has supplied a knowledgeable estimate of the number of LX's with the option.

OME and other vendor's suspensions will work on the LX. There are no suspension and chassis differences other than the aforementioned softer stock shocks on the LX.

The above list is probably not complete. Those with LX's can fill in the differences.

(Corrections per Alaska's comments below...)
(Additions per medtro's comments below...)

Additions 9-Sept-2004

The LX has a different style key that is harder to copy and provides more security
The LX has a smaller center console due to the CD changer & subwoofer
The LX has a higher quality (but still 'fake') wood trim compared to the Toyota option
The LX rear bumper is slightly different
The LX flares are integrated with the plastic side cladding. This is different than the LC.
The LX came with a small FAK (First Aid Kit)

Additions 29-Jan-2005

All LX's have oak (aka tan) leather guts. Grey was not available.
The LX has more sound deadener.
The aluminum step on the LC is covered with plastic on the LX. I have verified that some LX's have the aluminum step under the plastic and some do not. Raven's did not have it but Troutrunner's had the aluminum step.

Addition 25-Sept-2005

All LX's have the rear diff-lock wiring harness from the cowl to the rear quarter. This harness is present even on those vehicles without the diff lock option. On the LC, only those vehicles with the diff lock option have the proper wiring harness.

Addition 28-Feb-2006
The 1997 LX got color matched paint on the running boards and roof rack. These items are painted black on the LC.

-B-

Last edited:
Ah, we have another believer in the 80. Devo is converging (sp?) from the antiques (40/60's) over to the best Cruiser series every built by machine... the 80. B, and wob answered the question already. Are you going to start searching for an 80? If you are there has been plenty of threads about this area; what to look for when purchasing, how much, etc...

Correction for Beo and wob: I believe it was cruiserdan who stated that the shocks are softer on the LX, but the springs are the same on the LX and LC.

Also, I'll mention this: My LX does NOT have body colored mud flaps, and did NOT come with clear side marker lenses. I have noticed one LX (same year) in town which DID hav dolor coded mud flaps AND running boards, so mine may have weel been a Gulf States Toyota add-on...

No Sammy I'm not about to cross that line? I have a my '84 60 that I've owned since 1988 and it has gone under many mods to keep it fresh. Plus the 60 body style is in my eyes is much nicer.
Because I'm the Cruiser guy in my respected circle, many people ask me about buying them. So I direct them to the 80 because they are newer and quite nice on and off road. If I can do to a LX that can be done to an 80 then it opens up that many more vehicles to look at.
So thanks for your responces to my questions you 80's guys, and I hope to run into some of you on some trail somewhere.
devo

Good thread

This information is good to know as I'm looking at getting an FZJ80 or LX450 and had heard that the LX450s were the same rig as the FZJ80s except for some frills.

My question boils down to maintenance and service: How do the prices on parts and service on the LX450 compare to the FZJ80? I don't have a Lexus dealer local, but the Toyota place is right down the road. Since Lexus is made by Toyota will they be able to get parts and do any maintenance/service that I can't do myself?

TIA!

:beer:

Brian,
The Toyota dealer will NOT (usually) be able to get the LX specific parts, eg. the headlights. You will have to give them the Toyota pn's for things like rotors and brake pads. The exception might be those few Toyota dealers that also own a Lexus store somewhere in their franchise system. In those cases, I would think the Toyota parts manager could arrange for a Lexus part to be acquired from their sister store.

It's likely the Toyota dealership will do the maintenance on an LX but you should ask the dealer to be sure.

-B-

Thanks

Beowulf said:
Brian,
The Toyota dealer will NOT (usually) be able to get the LX specific parts, eg. the headlights. You will have to give them the Toyota pn's for things like rotors and brake pads. The exception might be those few Toyota dealers that also own a Lexus store somewhere in their franchise system. In those cases, I would think the Toyota parts manager could arrange for a Lexus part to be acquired from their sister store.

It's likely the Toyota dealership will do the maintenance on an LX but you should ask the dealer to be sure.

-B-

Thanks Beowulf. Know any reason that the LX450s seem to be several $K cheaper than the FZJ80s other than the namesake of LandCruiser when they are in reality the same rig?

:confused:

Several have pointed out this price difference. I haven't researched the used market lately so I'm not sure if this is across the country or regionalized.

The following is Beospeculation.

People looking for a Land Cruiser are loyal to Toyota and some may not know the LX is the same vehicle with Lexus badging. This creates an increase in demand for the Toyota marque. On the other side, the typical Lexus owner buys a new vehicle every few years and the brand is relatively new so it hasn't developed a resale market like Toyota. Potential Lexus used car buyers would (or should) know the Lexus dealers charge a premium for their parts and service making ownership of a used vehicle more expensive than the same vehicle with a Toyota badge. There are fewer Lexus dealers meaning some markets wouldn't have an authorized dealer for parts and repairs. My mom has a Lexus sedan and they have to travel >100 miles for dealer service but there is a Toyota dealer in their town. These things create an increase in supply for the Lexus marque. Marketing 101.

Counterpoint. The above Beospeculation apparently doesn't hold with the 100 Series and I have no idea why. Maybe the initial cost of the LX470 was much higher than the LC 100 series? Maybe the options were significantly different and that's now distinguishing the LX470 as a more desireable version?

-B-

I think the other option involves toys, but most of that discussion takes place in chat.

Mine is a cruiser :D

I'm not sure why anyone would buy the Cruiser over the LX. They are the same vehicle underneath, however the LX has a few bonuses on it. If you really don't like the lower body cladding, maybe you are partial to the LC rear bumper (LX is slightly larger/lower)...Maybe you like having a in-dash CD player, versus the 6-disc Lexus one which is behind the center console (at times I wish mine were in-dash, changing the CDs in a 6-disc while driving is not trivial).

Maybe as a child you were beaten by a mean old woman called Lane, and therefore have ran away from anything with a 'L' on it, and prefer the space-ship-looking, aliens-will-come, logo of the Toyotas.. :) If any of these are true, then maybe buy the LC over the LX...

I have a '97 LX450 and I can not think of why anyone would buy the LC over the LX, maybe if you just are not into owning a Lexus, but if you buy a LC for just the name, then that's dumb. The Land Cruiser didn't become a legend by it's name, it's because how it was built. So if you find the same quality elsewhere for less you'd be dumb to not buy it...IMO..

Just my $0.00 worth...

FYI I looked on Ebay and found some buy-it-now LX450's in the $15K range with factory lockers...great deal IMO.

Cheers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom