Deviated from coolant flush proc, did I harm my LC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day, people of Mud.

It's the time of the year for a coolant flush. My LC is a 1994 with over 152K on the odo. I was going through the procedures specified by Beowulf in the FAQ sans flush kit and things suddenly went bad.

After flushing the block and putting back the brass bolt back, I proceeded next to to draining the rad but after a couple of turns on the drain cock, it broke :mad: (I've smaller hands so I did not remove the shroud anymore lest I break it again :D).

Brokencock.jpg

Unable to flush the rad, I removed the block plug again, jetted H2O into the rad and once overflowing had the engine started with heater on full. In effect, was flushing though the block and uncertain what this deviation will do, I did this step only for a couple of minutes.

Now, what to do with the broken rad drain plug? Called Simon, a certified LC wrench and he suggested heating a flat screwdriver and make a depression on the plastic with which to turn it. Screwdriver BBQ anyone? Got it out but alas, nothing similar on any of the major stores. Toyota dealership-spare parts closed on Saturday. If only CDan could email one my way.:)

Needed to get the LC running, asked Simon if can use a bolt instead. So I went back to Canadian Tire and looked for a plastic bolt. Found a 3/8-16 x 1-1/2 USS Nylon hex head cap screw - a little longer but the groove pattern was a match.

So now my rad drain plug is a cap screw. Will this do considering that it is nothing similar in design and whether it has the same tolerance to hot coolant or not. Or, do I need to replace it with the winged OEM? I'm hoping that it will work because it is now much easier to drain the rad next time. Socket wrench with extension and your done!

Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Brokencock.jpg

Odd-looking drain plug

In case one is wondering why the drain plug looks different, I trimmed the wings off since there's no way to screw it back in considering that the whole unit is out. Metal tube gets in the way of the wings. I tried reconnecting the bobbitized plug with krazy glue but no go.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan to me. I never use the draincock. Just pull off one side of the lower hose for a niagra falls rad drain.

That sounds even better. I'll try that route since it is even much easier with those hose just sticking out. This is a useful deviation. Thanks.

cruiserman said:
Sounds like a good plan to me. I never use the draincock. Just pull off one side of the lower hose for a niagra falls rad drain.

I like that method better for the 'first' change anyway. When I did that on my grey truck I got a glob of goo out of that lower hose in the 'flow' that followed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom