2 meter magnetic base antenna recomendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
plan to drive a few thousand miles and I don't have an antenna on my pickup that I'll be using. Looking for a good quality magnetic base 2meter antenna to stick on the cab roof. Not looking to install any type of permanent mount at this point.

I saw on another thread somewhere someone recommend one of the larsen 2m antennas with a square base (magnetic)...did not catch the specific model...ideas? Or i guess you can get a certain magnetic base and use the antenna of your choice...seems like nmo mount is common. Also noticed some references to browning brand antenna.

Basically looking for quality and plug-n-play approach.
Experiences....

I just went to the HR store and got a cheap MM for $30. remember to get the adapter if needed

Wison makes a very nice and durable 2 meter mag mount antenna. I've had one for 10 years that is still going strong.

Larson antennas are great (I have 3) but i've never used their mag mount.

Hustler makes a good one too. Have had one for many years and it still works great. Made local to me.

thanks for the feedback.... I know wilson make some very good quality CB radio antennas....I have one...I may check them out. I'll look at the hustler as well. I have a diamond fixed mount antenna on my 60 and its been a good quality, but I appreciate the feedback I may have to snoop around amazon to see what can be had there... no such thing as a local store to me... I know the mag mounts are not preferred but I'm not drilling on the pickup any time soon and not looking to do any type of permanent mount either. I prefer quality and performance...a good antenna is critical....kind of like tires on a car/truck..... Thanks

The Wilson 2m antenna is a decent, inexpensive model. My main complaint is that the whip is very flexible, which decreases the line of sight performance when the whip is moving around. If you are talking to your friend up the road, not a big deal.

The Wilson 2m antenna is a decent, inexpensive model. My main complaint is that the whip is very flexible, which decreases the line of sight performance when the whip is moving around. If you are talking to your friend up the road, not a big deal.

An extremely minor issue. The Larson antenna whips are exactly the same and work perfectly when mobile to reach out for distance. All mobile antennas move around a bit. Just the nature of it.

Maybe you have a different one than I do. but it's really been great over the years. It has been on countless rigs as a loaner. Right now it's on the fender of my 40, violating every rule of antenna placement. Still works fine.

Right now it's on the fender of my 40, violating every rule of antenna placement. Still works fine.

Where do the rules suggest you put it on a '40, with no metal roof? I've used a short one (quarter wave?) on a non-HAM UHF band with some success. I just put it on the front edge of the hood.

That same little antenna, on the roof of my TT, gets me 40 miles line-of-sight into a repeater with a UV-5R with decent quality.

This one, I think:

440quarterwaveantenna.jpg

Last edited:
Good question. On a 40, if I really cared, I'd mount a 1/2 wave antenna as high on the roll cage as possible assuming the roof was off.

Otherwise a 5/8 magmount in the center of the hood would likely work ok, depending on how much RF noise was coming from the ignition and alternator.

Buy an NMO type mag base and then you can use any existing NMO antenna if the match is good enough. I picked up a 5" OD mag mount from Antenna Farm a couple of years ago and then the trip needing it got called off.

I've had the best vehicle mounted performance from Larson NGP NMO 2M antennas.

Gigaparts is about an hour from you in Huntsville and probably has anything and everything you could need for a mag mount antenna

I ordered a diamond NMO magnetic base and a larsen nmo antenna, the other day.
1 NMO-2/70B Black antenna, 1 SPM-NMO magnetic base.

Yea I've been to Gigaparts a few times, did not see what I wanted on their web site and did not have time to drop by there. Good place, they generally do carry a good bit in stock.

Good question. On a 40, if I really cared, I'd mount a 1/2 wave antenna as high on the roll cage as possible assuming the roof was off.

Otherwise a 5/8 magmount in the center of the hood would likely work ok, depending on how much RF noise was coming from the ignition and alternator.

While a 1/2 wave antenna can operate without a ground plane, performance is definitely affected. Larsen specs their 1/2 wave antennas at 2.4 dBi gain with a ground place and unity gain with no ground plane. So with the roof of your 40 off, you're very likely to get better performance with the antenna in the center of the hood or on the front fender compared to high on the roll cage.

The "floppy" whip affects performance at the margin of the effective range. A $100 Diamond (with fold-over feature) is not worth it to talk down the trail where a $40 Wilson will work.

As far as the gain of a 1/2 with and without ground plane, the issue is that it does not NEED a ground plane/counterpoise. A 1/4 or 5/8 wave does.

I have been using a Tram 1100 quarter wave mag mount in the center of the roof with good results, $20 at HRO, $17 at Wally World (must order, sent to store). Just don't pinch the coax in the door. See post #30 RFI in my cruiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom