Ironman Foam Cell Steering Damper Shock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How about installing a new Toyota stabilizer and call it a day? IMO it is the best.

fkn wot?

the stock ones are designed for factory tyres and vehicle weight. theres 20+ years in design & improvements with OME or even IM. and they are probably cheaper.

I have the ironman and it does what it is supposed to do, I think the ome would also. Of course, in a 1985 rolling block I doubt if I could tell a difference.

Many aftermarket steering stabilizers have too much damping which slows down and hinders the return of the wheels to straight after a turn. I doubt any of them were designed from the ground up to match the steering characteristics of the FJ60. What that amounts to is you will find yourself having to forcibly steer the car back to straight after a turn in some situations. A real annoyance at times and can be kinda dangerous. I'm sure not ALL aftermarket stabilizers exhibit this undesirable behavior, but the two different ones (recommended for the FJ60) I tried did. (Not OME). When it comes to steering stabilizers, big, beefy, and brawny, usually equate to lame steering. .. at least in my experience. .

Remember any foam cell damper (shockie) does not handle heat well, not as important in the steering as in suspension, but it does sit under your radiator and is usually used most when crawling a rough track. Once over heated foam cell never recovers fully and you would possibly end up with an in effective damper in short time. OEM are value for money and what I have on all my 60's

Never unhappy with ome, that said I could not tell the difference from the old oem....

Remember any foam cell damper (shockie) does not handle heat well, not as important in the steering as in suspension, but it does sit under your radiator and is usually used most when crawling a rough track. Once over heated foam cell never recovers fully and you would possibly end up with an in effective damper in short time. OEM are value for money and what I have on all my 60's

This is incorrect. Foam cell shocks handle heat better than the alternatives.

"So Ironman were faced with a choice – monotube, twintube, or foam cell. They chose foam cell as it offered a long-travel design, and better heat dissipation (resistance to fade) than conventional twin-tube. But what of foam’s disadvantages? The first one is a myth, and that’s that the foam disintegrates. Ironman have been making foam cell shocks for years and not experienced this problem. If they had, then they’d hardly have been likely to launch their top model as a foam cell. Second one is that once overheated and aerated, foam cell shocks don’t return to normal after they cool. This again is incorrect because unlike a normal twin-tube which has gas atop the oil with no barrier, the gas inside the cells of foam cannot mix with the oil. The foam cells also take up less room inside the shock tube that the gas in a conventional monotube, which means there’s more space for oil and the more oil you have, the cooler the shock runs."

from LINK---

I just put this on my Space Shuttle FJ60:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BG7K7P4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Steering stabilizers do not affect return to center of the steering. That is a function of caster. All the stabilizers you've listed are low end units, so you're really arguing over who is the tallest midget.

The stabilizer is really a vibration damper, which makes driving your truck better on the highway as larger divets in the road will not cause you to have to constantly correct the steering.

I went with a high pressure style because I didn't want my oil to foam if I use the steering a lot, plus it matches my coil overs.

I can tell you the foam cell shocks I have are way superior to the emulsion shocks I had (both on 100 series) but its not a fair comparison as the foams I have are the Pro and they are 2x bigger in every measure.

As for the steering damper, the OME I just put on my 60 is noticable better than the stock one that was on it but it was old so I can't say it is better than a new OEM one.

I just installed the Ironman kit on my 62 last week with Foam Cell shocks and FC steering damper and I love it. Rides like a Fleetwood Brougham.

edit: not the Pros, just the regular FCs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom