Builds 1987 fj60 12h-t h55f conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Need a place to crash in No Dak, I'm in Fargo...

Thanks! That's actually about how far im hoping to get on my first leg tomorrow. I haven't decided yet whether im going to get a hotel or what exactly.

Looking forward to the trip report and hearing how the truck performs.

Cool im anxious to see how it performs as well!

20150704_051849.jpg
20150704_061145.jpg
20150704_083532.jpg
20150704_083430.jpg
20150704_083539.jpg
Hit the road this morning at 1:45 with jack Johnson to help me stay awake :) pretty amazing sunrise in Kentucky. Made my first fuel stop in St Louis Missouri. 426 miles on first tank 20.8 mpg running 60-75mph with ac on all night.

Last edited:
Nice picture with the headlights. How often do you see this gen land cruiser on the hwy?
I actually haven't seen one yet on this trip. I did spot an fj40 sitting in the showroom of a toyota dealer in O'Fallon Missouri..or was it Illinois.

Filled up again in Iowa 20.4 mpg on that tank running a bit higher speed. I checked everything under the hood and noticed some black rubber residue on the ac hose. Apparently all the belts were loose again. odd because I retightened them Thursday night. Looks like maybe powder coating the brackets made it look great but also gave it a nice smooth surface to slip on. I retightened them again and will keep a closer eye on them. Fortunately I have used spares for all three.

I think I may add a tensioner on top of the alternator for the top pinch bolt. I have a couple of spare ones at home I pulled from my last junk yard run.

Also saw this cool samurai in Iowa.

20150704_162045.jpg
20150704_162134.jpg
20150704_162144.jpg
20150704_164544.jpg

Also made another observation today or since running this 12ht actually, for whatever reason the oil doesn't turn black in it like all my other diesels. Kind of odd I think even with 1300 miles on it now the oil still looks brand new which makes it very difficult to read the stick. Any thoughts?

My 12ht did 6000km and oil was still clean as the day I put it in

Also made another observation today or since running this 12ht actually, for whatever reason the oil doesn't turn black in it like all my other diesels. Kind of odd I think even with 1300 miles on it now the oil still looks brand new which makes it very difficult to read the stick. Any thoughts?

This also happens on my 1HZ...the oil takes around 2000 kms to show up on the dip stick..I did not have the experience of running big diesels before so it worried me a bit, got it checked and came to know that, engines with solid injector pumps and good compression produce very low soot, hence the oil takes time to get black...so no worries...

That rubber residue on the AC house is the belt material? And it loosened up? Really weird.
Which brackets are powdercoated and what friction does it affect?
Good progress.
Yes the belts wear prematurely if they are loose. I powder coated all of the brackets so unless I'm over looking something obvious that's the only conclusion I can come to.

My 12ht did 6000km and oil was still clean as the day I put it in

This also happens on my 1HZ...the oil takes around 2000 kms to show up on the dip stick..I did not have the experience of running big diesels before so it worried me a bit, got it checked and came to know that, engines with solid injector pumps and good compression produce very low soot, hence the oil takes time to get black...so no worries...

Now that's great to know!

Trip update

Ended up driving 1200 miles in the first day over 19 hours. I had some crappy gas station tornados to eat for breakfast in St Louis and was waiting to eat a good meal once I got to my destination for the day (fargo north dakota) the entire pack of sun flower seeds had held me over quiet well. I ended up getting to north dakota around 9:45. Well I inadvertently drove straight through fargo expecting it to be a bit largere than one or two exits. So 20 minutes out of town I make it to a little place called Casselton, there appears to be a subway, one hotel, one fireworks stand, and one gas station as well as a little food diner/bar with some shady looking bikers hanging out front...I decide to try the subway. There is a young girl working inside and as soon as I walk through the door I get the look.."I'm sorry I'm closing up" she quickly bursts out. I ask her where the best place to grab a bite to eat would be and she just kind of looks at me dumb foundedly like I'm from another planet. After an awkward silence I start making suggestions is there anything west of here or the little bar? Or is back tracking to fargo my best bet? After another moment of silence she says " I'm not sure..maybe fargo? I think the bar may have food?" Turning my question into another question. So I make my way back out to my truck with the intention of getting some better advice. As soon as I step out the door I hear hurry scurry around the counter and hastily lock the door behind me. I walk over to the gas station to look for some more helpful advice and check out their fine selection of gourmet food.

The older guy behind the counter informs me that the next place west is roughly 80 miles and subway was my best bet which is great to hear now that it's closed, he also informs me they will be closing in another 30 minutes. I start browsing their selection of food, one cheeseburger.. prepackaged under a warming light and a couple of market style sandwiches which have a sticker saying "best by August 31..it's just now july 4th...my mountain house freeze dried food is starting to sound more appealing but I really don't feel like firing up my jet stove to heat the water since its already nearly 11pm. I grab one of the market sandwichs just as the guy walks over and says "here you can have this cheese burger for free since we are throwing it out"
Thanks I reply and make my way to the counter to check out.
After checking out I decide to try to freshen up just a bit in their facilities after the 19 hour drive. I brushed my teeth, shaved and just as I'm splashing some water on my face the guy walks in (I'm certain wondering what I'm doing in there for so long) and pretends to check the restroom over and walks out mentioning we close in ten minutes on the way out. (It's only been 10 since my last 30 min warning)

I finish up and make my way to the parking lot where I scarf down the cheeseburger which reminds me of the cheese burgers the lunch room served back in grade school. It's not exactly real meat but something that closely resembles it. I start rearranging some of my gear hoping to move some stuff to the vacant front passenger seat so I can make room for my new sleeping quarters ie. Coleman air mattress. My plan is to drive to the next rest area which is another 25 or so miles down the road which I suspect is going to be dimly lit so I want to have as little fumbling around as I can when I get there. As I'm rearranging my belongings a black truck pulls up to the pump blaring some form of hip hop which todays youth refer to as music. A colored gentleman gets out of the truck inspects something around his front wheel area and starts cursing loudly, the same gas station attendant walks out and they exchange words I can't quiet discern but I do understand the gestures which are something to the extent of you need to leave. Apparently they know each other or he is at least a regular at the establishment. I see him scan the parking lot briefly and apparently I draw his attention and he starts making his way towards me..I'm from huntsville and am fully aware of this type of spectical I'm just a bit shocked this is happening in North Dakota. I make my way to the driver side and discreetly stuff my glock in the back of my waist band just as he approaches me and starts his pitch "everybody knows I been out of work I just need some cash for some gas" as he is talking to me he is coming closer and closer to me which is making me uncomfortable so I'm back peddling around my truck.."sorry man I can't help today" right at that moment another vehicle pulls in to the gas station and his attention is instantly diverted away from me and he starts making his way to them. I quickly realize that's my diversion and my chance to get out of the situation so I hop in the cruiser and hit the road.

Once I get back on the interstate I start working on that market style sandwich. It's worse than I anticipated and my expectations were pretty low. I hate to be wasteful so I decide to finish it, halfway through it I realize that I'll probably be paying for that decision the next day or even worse in the middle of the night.

I finally get to the rest area and find a nice dark secluded spot away from the main parking lot where I only hope I won't be bothered by some maintenance worker or guard in the middle of the night shining his flashlight on me to tell me I can't be parked there. I climb in the back and as I unpackage my new Coleman mattress I realize it's quiet a bit larger and thicker than my thermarest and I probably should have taken the two people's advice who told me to get a pump for it and even offered to let me borrow theirs. 25 minutes later I'm feeling light headed from oxygen starvation to the brain and I decide I've had enough, so I lay down and decide it will do. I'm pleasantly surprised it's quiet comfortable and I have plenty of leg room in the 60 stretched out with room to spare.

I think to myself after a day like today tomorrow can only get better..only if I knew what the morning would bring.
20150704_214336.jpg
20150704_215035.jpg

Last edited:
Can understand the apprehension the folks in Fargo had, you are a pretty shady looking character, Ha Ha! Great thread as usual, especially the pictures!
How can the Co-Mechanic/Photographer/"very pretty girl", be scared of being up on a lift, but fly to Calgory?
I just love your version of a "test ride", a testament to your mechanical skills!!!
Be safe and have a great trip!
Gary
Hot South Cruisers

Interesting...
Yeah, people in small towns can be a bit overly suspicious or paranoid, especially when they see someone from far away or different.
As far as the black guy, this can definitely happen anywhere and one should always be aware of the surroundings and be on the lookout for for potential threats.
I hope you took care of the glock in terms of crossing the border with Canada! First time there? I hope you got the best exchange rate (and notified your bank that you will travel internationally so the credit card doesn't get locked up).
Looking forward to pictures and impressions from across the border.
Bad food makes you appreciate good food late on :)

Interesting...
Yeah, people in small towns can be a bit overly suspicious or paranoid, especially when they see someone from far away or different.
As far as the black guy, this can definitely happen anywhere and one should always be aware of the surroundings and be on the lookout for for potential threats.
I hope you took care of the glock in terms of crossing the border with Canada! First time there? I hope you got the best exchange rate (and notified your bank that you will travel internationally so the credit card doesn't get locked up).
Looking forward to pictures and impressions from across the border.
Bad food makes you appreciate good food late on :)

Absolutely I shipped it back home from Portal north dakota before crossing over.

Smaller problems became bigger yesterday, oil pressure started dropping and the engine developed a knock and lost power just east of Maple Creek Saskatchewan. I got it towed to Medicine Hat Alberta. Looking for a way to get it across the border now.

Last edited:
I loved my old 12ht. Good luck with the repairs, looks like you are in good hands at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom