old type 2B vs 3B vs 15B (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the following engine options for the current 40 being repaired;

-the original 2B with H41 and one piece transverse.
this is a 1978 2B with Edic Motor, vacuum 4wd (i like it) ,no oil cooler to be seen like on the later type engine.

-a 1983 3B with splitcase, manual 4wd and maybe, maybe turbo, to be added later

-a 15B that smokes a little bit and is heavy, but has most power

The 15B wouldnt be much heavier than the others. I know the block has some reinforcing and maybe the flywheel is heavier.
What sort of smoke is it making?

white and some black smoke
I assume a bit of diesel problems

Does it start easily and run smooth immediately? The 15B will have heaps more power than your other engines. With a turbo I think its puts out similar figures to a 1HD T

it starts immediatly, it reffs ok, normally

Because parts for the 2B and 3B are getting more and more rare, I would go with the 15B if I could verify its health...

If it starts well and revs decently the compression should be good. I would get the injectors looked at and it that doesn't fix it, get the pump tested. The 15B should be a night and day different engine to the 2B and 3B in displacement alone and then you add part availability, improvements in reinforcement, bearing design, etc. and it should be am easy choice.

If you go the other way, let me know and I'll take the 15B off of your hands! :)

How mechanically skilled are you? If you are able to take on any possible repairs on the 15B, I'd buy that. At least, as everyone else has mentioned, you have a lot later model, direct injected motor that's far more fuel efficient and powerful. Might be worth getting if you can nut out what it's issue is.

it starts immediatly, it reffs ok, normally

If a diesel can start cold instantly with no rough running ,you can be fairly sure the compression is adequate. Most diesels will give a quick blast of white smoke on a cold start. The black smoke is most likely injector related.

I'm going with the 15B-F, give it a service and then put onto 4 speed splitcase.
Is the clutch the same as on the 3B or is it bigger?

I think its bigger. I seem to remember someone saying they had to grind off some places inside the H55F bellhousing to make it fit. But not much.
What is a 15B-F? or do you mean 15B FTE?

Tin Tin,
Looking at a similar conversion for my 3b h55f to a 15B-F.

I've been talking to a mate who has done this conversion on his B and H41. He used a B/3B flywheel (275mm) and got it redrilled for 8 bolts rather than the 6 of the B/3b. He also got it tapped for the 3b pressure plate. This means that there are no trimming of the bellhousing required.

If your 15B-F came with a 300mm flywheel and pressure plate you will need to trim the pressure plate and the bell housing slightly to clear.

I have a 15b-f and my flywheel is actually 330mm. This fits into a later model alloy 3b/13bt bell housing from a 70 series without mods to the bell housing. The bottom bell housing mount brackets need to be custom made or modified however.

The Isuzu Elf NPR59 (4BD1T) clutch (oem part number 8-94462-782-3) yields the correct diameter and spline count to mate to a 3b/13bt sourced h55f.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom