Puma 12V Compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry I cannot answer any of your questions, but thank you for articulating much of what I've been looking for myself. I'm mounting mine on my rear platform then going to look into accessories.

Sub'd

I'm not sure just how fast this Puma compressor is but if it's anything like most you're not gonna want to hold the chuck on the tire valve while it fills, if so the Milton you linked won't be so great. If I'm right you should look for a locking chuck.

Last edited:
I'm not sure just how fast this Puma compressor is but if it's anything like most you're not gonna want to hold the chuck on the tire valve while it fills, if so the Milton you linked won't be so great. If I'm right you should look for a locking chuck.
I use CO2, probably the fastest way to fill tires, and a locking chuck is pretty much a requirement.

Looking to pick one up but have a a quick question... what would be the longest air hose you all would run for various fittings?

Looking to put a pressure gauge of some type in my dash,.. with a 5 gallon tank under the vehicle and the compressor possibly hidden under a rear panel,.. or under the hood. Also want to put a quick connect fitting on my front bumper for power tools/airchuck.

Does it even matter at a max length of say,.. 15 feet?

Thanks,

Bill

@billmiranda pls start a build thread when you do this - that was my original ambition. Got pushed back by gf family and work.

Last edited:
The puma compressor it's quite big .. it wasn't easy for me to find a " hidden " spot in Tencha back in the day .. I'm not an expert but common sense tell me that longer / more hose will require the compressor more work to fill and pressurize the hole system ..

The motor on my Puma seized, not really sure why. It had been working flawlessly, then one day went to use it and nothing would happen except for the power leads just getting extremely hot quickly. I have taken the unit apart and there was some small spots of very light rust inside the motor housing cylinder. The compressor was mounted in the back of my 80, between my ARB fridge and the side window.

What I am thinking is that I will run SS braided hoses from Aeroquip or a similar manufacturer.. minimize expansion etc.. just like my brakelines... if the check valves are at the hose ends, as they normally are and the hoses don't "absorb" any of the pressure output, it should not matter to the compressor how long the hoses may be. It may be overkill but,.. I personally LIKE overkill... and looking at the pricing,.. it would run me about $20-30 more to run SS braided in place of the standard nylon-reinforced rubber/plastic hoses through the entire vehicle.

Oh,.. and I am also looking at the PAC-BRAKE series of compressors... who know,.. they may be made in the same factory and be the same as the PUMA series of compressors.

$246 - $275 is the price reange I've found for these:

12V HP625 SERIES AMP AIR COMPRESSORS (HORIZONTAL OR VERTICAL)

• 100% Duty Cycle
    • 150 PSI Max Working Pressure, Draws 22.5 AMPs
    • 3.4 CFM
    • 11.5″ x 6″ x 9.5″, 17.7 lbs
    • 158°F Max / -40°F Min Ambient Temperature

I have the puma and i like it. With that said, i was a little surprised at how slow it fills my tires. My concerns with it are that it get's pretty damn hot after filling just two tires, and it takes a while to fill them. I guess if you had another tank that was larger it wouldn't be as bad; but with the tank it comes with, it empties into a tire instantly and then the pump spends the rest of the time playing catch up. Don't get me wrong, it works and does the job, it's just not as fast as i thought.

My PUMA history and performance -
Purchased 2007
Over 100 hours of run time
Longest run time ~4 hours (using air tools to disassemble a Land Cruiser)
I air up so many times I have it down to a science -
Throttle set at 1600rpm to maintain a voltage to the PUMA of ~13volts
Deep cycle Optima blue battery 1' from PUMA
From ~14psi to ~36psi at 1200' elevation 315/75-16 ~2min by stop watch
Stop, air up, and ready to go in ~10min

I have the puma and i like it. With that said, i was a little surprised at how slow it fills my tires. My concerns with it are that it get's pretty damn hot after filling just two tires, and it takes a while to fill them. I guess if you had another tank that was larger it wouldn't be as bad; but with the tank it comes with, it empties into a tire instantly and then the pump spends the rest of the time playing catch up. Don't get me wrong, it works and does the job, it's just not as fast as i thought.

How long per tire?
What hose are you using?
Is the compressor get sufficient voltage?

Insufficient voltage is a common problem and will cause poor performance and heating issues. Test your voltage at your PUMA when airing up.

I would say each tire (315) takes about 4-5 minutes to fill from 18psi to 37psi.

i need to check the voltage at the puma, i'll do that and report back.

I have a 25' hose that reaches all 4 tires and it's a standard harbor freight rubber hose.

I'm running 2 gauge wire from a diehard marine battery with the truck running and a sequoia alternator. I would think that should get the juice back there?

Seems very slow. My 315s take ~2:30 each to go from 14 to 35 at idle with a crappy little coiled line.

Not sure how long my hose is, long enough that's for sure. :grinpimp:
And by long enough I mean it reaches all four tires.

I use the semi rigid retractile style hose, very little expansion under pressure.

I would say each tire (315) takes about 4-5 minutes to fill from 18psi to 37psi.

i need to check the voltage at the puma, i'll do that and report back.

I have a 25' hose that reaches all 4 tires and it's a standard harbor freight rubber hose.

I'm running 2 gauge wire from a diehard marine battery with the truck running and a sequoia alternator. I would think that should get the juice back there?
Increase your engine rpms to 1600-2000 and listen if the puma also increases rpms. My guess is just low amp output at idle. If so, like Phil said, you need to bump the rpms while filling.

i didn't test the voltage yet, but i did turn it on and rev the motor. It did not increase the speed of the puma.

i didn't test the voltage yet, but i did turn it on and rev the motor. It did not increase the speed of the puma.
Forgot to mention, mine only started to slow down after a few minutes, then I increased the rpms and the pump went back to 100 percent. The first few minutes it was just fine....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom