1HDT BEB after 120,000 km report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sailor

Jackass of all trades
Threads
Just changed out the shells on my HDT after 6 yrs. These were Taiho brand bearings. I use Delo 400 15/40 and Toyota filters exclusively. They look very good- much better than the ones in there when I imported the truck. The little indents on the first one bottom in the row were my fault...
DSC_0107.JPG

Looks like what i would expect BeB's to look like out of a normal engine so that is saying a lot for a 1hd-t. Nice to see actually i always heard these where 100k kms wear items.

Nice! I say throw 'em back in for another 120! :hillbilly: Just kidding. What does the 1HDT manual say for recommended oil viscosity in our typical west coast climate? Is the 15/40 a little heavier than recommended? If so I wonder if that has made any difference. I know with my wee little 2LTE, the manual says I should be running 10w30, but I run 15w40 also.

15W40 is heavier than what is on the air filter box for these engines (recommended oil weight in jp for these is 10w-30)
The oil analysis tests showed that they were too light and 15w-40 was the ticket at least for my case....

I run Delo 400 15/40 in anything that is not a 2 stroke Detroit Diesel. In those I run Delo 100 straight 40. (oh- Yamalube in the outboards). Makes for a stress free and uncomplicated choice. Interestingly- there was another HDJ with similar mileage and ACL bearings and they were not anywhere near as fresh.

I will see what happens when I do mine again down the road because I got ACL too.

15W40 is heavier than what is on the air filter box for these engines (recommended oil weight in jp for these is 10w-30)
The oil analysis tests showed that they were too light and 15w-40 was the ticket at least for my case....

That might be up there .. but I can't imagine that oil in my engine down here .. today was 36C here with 86% humidity .. so hot ..

And here is what the crank looks like. Flawless.
IMG_1095.jpg

Engine shows no noticeable wear anywhere.

I heard he wanted to re-piston?

Engine tear down?

Yes. I had a sudden increase in blowby and some hesitation on dead cold start. Since this engine has been very cooperative over the years I tore into it and found excess carbon build up in #4 that resulted in a 'trapped' oil control ring. Pulled the pistons and a piece of #4 oil ring land actually fell off. Since all bores mic-ed out perfect and had nice cross hatch we installed all new rings and one new piston. Sent the head out for a valve job as a precaution then could not achieve a satisfactory head gasket seal. Now block is out for a bit of a plane as well. New front/ rear seals, harmonic, water pump, alternator, etc. The dangers of 'while we are in there'... Anyway - to synopsize- with 214K indicated, the engine looks pretty new inside. Injector patterns are all good, breaking within spec.

I intend to take my little guy to the desert soon for his first time and can't afford any issues, hence the extra effort....

ok - be a Deutscher- Douche. Other than #4 piston...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom