3FE Oil Pressure, Seems Dry Under Valve Cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm starting to baseline my 91 Landmass but didn't want to continue on other tasks if there is in fact an issue with the oil system. I'm not sure what is normal for my LC because I couldn't find info on how wet the rocker arms, valves, etc. are supposed to be.

1. It seems dry under the valve cover
2. Oil pressure seems to drop really slow

Changed the oil from PO and it was dark..

START: Cold start, coming to idle
@25 seconds: warmed up, view under oil fill cap
@47 seconds: shut down and slow oil pressure drop.

If you would see how the gauge and sender work, you'd understand why it is so slow.

Basically for the gauge, the current from the sender flows through an induction coil which heats a bimetallic strip. As the bi-metal flexes, the needle moves. So when power is cut, you are waiting for the heat in the bimetal strip to dissipate.

The sender is very similar and in reverse. The reason both actions are slow is the fact that you're waiting for heat to actuate stuff, which is a very slow process compared with other methods.

No clue about the lack of oil spraying all over the inside of the valve cover. However it does still look a little "wet" in the hole there. Also, you should be able to adjust the valves with the cover off and the engine running. So I'm guessing this isn't a big deal. :meh:

Your engine sounds about the same as mine and I plan to adjust the valves, I would suggest you do the same.

Looks normal to me. The oil for the rocker arms is via squirters along the rocker assembly.

Out of curiosity, how many miles do you have on yours? My 91 has 284,xxx and sounds identical. My gauge also is in the same spot even though the original manual says it should be much higher. I have a new valve cover gasket for mine and I plan on adjusting the valves at the same time to see if it reduces the ticking at all.

Well, your engine sounds like the love child of a sewing machine and tractor. In other words, it sounds normal. I just had my valve cover off this past weekend while I was doing my EGR, Air Pump, VSV delete. I told myself I was going to adjust the valves. Then I said, "Well, it sounds exactly like it has for the past 23 years. Why change anything?" So I slapped the new gasket on (along with some shiny new paint on the valve cover) and bolted her back down. FWIW I have 235k on mine and have owned it since new.

Also, when I pulled my valve cover off I was shocked that things didn't look wetter. I checked my oil level and she was about a 1/2 quart low. I don't think it has anything to do with it but... :meh:

Hardest part of a valve adjustment is getting a sight line on the timing window.

Well good to know it looks normal, interested to see it without the valve cover.

197,xxx miles

It was having a tough time running with the fill cap off. I'll have to cover off next week when I change the gasket, adjust the valves, clean the intake, etc..

My '91 with 171K sits at the same spot on the pressure gauge. I even tried swapping to 20W50 conventional. It may be one needle width higher but the oil leaks slowed down considerably! It's normal for them to run funny with the oil cap off. You are introducing a vacuum leak. My factory seal is long gone so I put a dab of grease on the cap to seal it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom