hj61 injector gaskets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello-
I am having some blue smoke and surging on occasion in an '89 hj61. I'm planning to take the injectors out for cleaning and testing- if I can find someone in town who can test them.

In the service manual it shows a non-reusable gasket on top of the leakage pipe. Does anyone have any info on what type of gasket is a suitable replacement?

Any other tips on what to watch out for when pulling them out/taking them apart/cleaning them would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The place you take it to get the injectors tested will have replacements they would be a copper crush washer if that is what you are referring to as the gasket.
Have you tried running injector cleaner through the system I just resurrected my 61 after sitting for a year it blew a ton of grey and ran rough till I put some fresh diesel and some cleaner/conditioner .... after that it ran like a charm.
It was nice running her again sure love that beast it was the first time I had heard the turbo whistle something I never noticed in all the years I have owned her.

I ran some seafoam through it by loading the fuel filter, I couldn't tell if it did anything. Is there a better cleaner or better way to clean the injectors with it?

Not sure about copper crush washer-the manual shows a "hollow bolt", then a washer on top of the nozzle leakage pipe.

Does it not show a replaceable washer that seats the injector to the head this is the one I thought you were referring to at least my Bs are that way I have not had to do injectors on my 12HT ....Toyota should have all parts available also.
As said the injector shop should be able to get all pieces required for the injectors they should be Denso brand.
I ran the conditioner in my fuel tank usually Seafoam tales a good long highway run to do its job , is your air filter new or at least clean and do you have any cracks in your rubber air plenum I had a crack in mine .

Last edited:
Anyone who knows knows to rebuild an injector will know where to get the gaskets . I don't think you can clean them the old fashioned way. You replace the nozzles ,test the springs and thats it.
In any case, blue smoke is from burning oil.

That's what I was thinking as rosco said if it's blue smoke its oil... Faulty injectors white smoke at start up with hard starting usually or lots of black smoke over fuelling. 12ht always blow a puff of smoke on start up anyway.

Is it blue smoke or just a greyish smoke I think a lot of people confuse what they are actually seeing especially when they are watching it from the side view mirror.
The best way to see what is actually happening is have someone drive your LC and follow it in another vehicle and have them take it through various ranges of acceleration from smooth foot to heavy foot.

It has the normal black smoke puff when it starts, but when it is cold (roughly below 40F/5C) or been sitting for a long time, it blows bluish smoke for a minute or so until the engine warms up.

I was watching the oil level and it doesn't seem to be using any.

You need the proper gaskets under the leakage pipe, they have a groove and hole for the injector to bleed off fuel.
Sounds like your valve seals are most likely leaking a bit...
I just did mine, put some oem ones in 200,000kms ago, I compared the old seals to the new ones and the rubber was definitely stiffer.
Toyota should have the parts you need, otherwise there are many other places that can get Toyota for you.

Is there a part # or place you'd recommend for the gaskets? Will probably need to do the injectors in a year or two if I don't do them now.

Valve seals sounds pretty good- sitting in the cold they might shrink a bit, and sitting a long time stuff gets past them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom