Toyota 4Runner Frame Recall Campaign (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, My name is Dave, I am new to this forum....just joined today. I am a 4Runner owner and fan myself. I've owned 3 so far. Just wanted to make everyone aware, that I too have been plagued by the notorious rust issues that has been found on the 3RD Gen 4Runners. I created a community page on Facebook, hopefully to try and aid us 3RD Gen 4Runner owners who still love their vehicles, but the frame is rotting before our eyes. Like I said, I've owned a few and can't count how many patched welds I have performed. It's tiring to keep up with. Ultimately, it's unsafe and Toyota Motor Sales needs to address the issue.
I am pleased to try and help the 3RD Generation Toyota 4Runner owners, including myself to obtain resolution to this problem. Would you be so kind as to share this with your community and network? Toyota Motor Sales has been made ware of this unsafe ongoing issue and are hoping that it ultimately just goes away.
I have very recently notified up to 16 key executives at Toyota personally as well as 12 key employees at the NHTSA, DOT, and EPA. I will let you all know what the outcome is when I receive a response.
In the mean time, please visit the links I have provided below. I have short-linked our Facebook Community Page as well as the link to the NHTSA "File a Complaint" form. Please like and share the Facebook page and take the 3-5 minutes to fill out a NHTSA form.

http://bit.ly/Facebook_4Runner_Frame_Recall
http://bit.ly/NHTSA_Safety_Complaint_Form
Let's proactively pursue resolution to this issue.
Thank you very much.

This is interesting but where do the frames rot? I need pictures

:meh:Owned 5 3rd gen 4runners still have one with 240k and never a spot of rust on any and never heard of any either.

Very common. Read all about it at 4Runner.org

Our 99 had to have a patch to pass inspection a few months ago.

Gotta wash underneath.

My 01 4Runner with 245K doesn't have a spot of rust and I plow with it.

98 with 236k, no rust that I'm aware of.

Mine is clean as well.

A coworker of mine has my old 00 with I think about 230k on it now. Always a new england truck. Both rockers are pretty bad and the frame needed a patch on the bottom of the framerail near the rear control arm on one side (can't remember which) to pass inspection last year. Still runs/drives perfect and looks nice from 10 feet away but it's sure ugly underneath. When my wife was driving it the truck was always garaged. When we sold it things were looking just a little crusty in a few places. We sold it to her brother and he parked it in his dirt driveway for 2.5 years and rarely washed it. Amazing how quick it went downhill. he sold it to my coworker.

Hi, My name is Dave, I am new to this forum....just joined today. I am a 4Runner owner and fan myself. I've owned 3 so far. Just wanted to make everyone aware, that I too have been plagued by the notorious rust issues that has been found on the 3RD Gen 4Runners. I created a community page on Facebook, hopefully to try and aid us 3RD Gen 4Runner owners who still love their vehicles, but the frame is rotting before our eyes. Like I said, I've owned a few and can't count how many patched welds I have performed. It's tiring to keep up with. Ultimately, it's unsafe and Toyota Motor Sales needs to address the issue.
I am pleased to try and help the 3RD Generation Toyota 4Runner owners, including myself to obtain resolution to this problem. Would you be so kind as to share this with your community and network? Toyota Motor Sales has been made ware of this unsafe ongoing issue and are hoping that it ultimately just goes away.
I have very recently notified up to 16 key executives at Toyota personally as well as 12 key employees at the NHTSA, DOT, and EPA. I will let you all know what the outcome is when I receive a response.
In the mean time, please visit the links I have provided below. I have short-linked our Facebook Community Page as well as the link to the NHTSA "File a Complaint" form. Please like and share the Facebook page and take the 3-5 minutes to fill out a NHTSA form.

http://bit.ly/Facebook_4Runner_Frame_Recall
File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA
Let's proactively pursue resolution to this issue.
Thank you very much.

A coworker of mine has my old 00 with I think about 230k on it now. Always a new england truck. Both rockers are pretty bad and the frame needed a patch on the bottom of the framerail near the rear control arm on one side (can't remember which) to pass inspection last year..

Probably exhaust side.

Yes, these trucks definitely have a propensity for frame rot, given the right/wrong conditions. Control arm area, inner rear frame, and rear shock mounts are especially vulnerable.
I've seen some pretty bad examples around here. On the other hand, also have seen some 20 year old trucks with mint frames-go figure.

Edit: But is this the right forum for these trucks-3rd gen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom