Any disadvantages or problems from plastidip? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any disadvantages to plastidip?

My truck has OK paint but the hood clear started peeling badly because it was repainted by the PO. i think i might repaint the hood and roof. But i cant get to that for at least 6-9 months due to working out of town for the summer. At this point the front half of the hood still looks nice. The back half is peeling. I could ether do nothing for 6 months and have big chunks of clear continue to peal off. Or i was thinking of plastidiping (spray can) the rear 2/3 of the hood. The truck is dark green, flat black will not stand out ass bad as it would on a white truck. My big concern is that if that plasidip stays on for up to a year will i have trouble getting it of. Will i wish i had not sprayed it all over the hood when i start sanding to paint? Also does anyone think OK results can come form a spray can as opposed form a compressor and paint gun with the plasitidip?

I've had pretty good results with my Plastidipped things. About three years ago, I Plastidipped the spare tire on the back of my rig. It's held up very well. However, since it rarely moves and water can collect on the bottom lip, it's now starting to peel away from the wheel's surface. Honestly, not bad for three years on the vehicle.

I recently peeled the coating off of the wheel's center cap and it came off quite easily and without residue.

- Andy

I used the black plastidip on my roof rack pillars, and I don't like it for that application. It scuffed everything it touched and left big black marks on my truck. It also dulled and looked old really fast.

I used black plastidip to cover my whole upper body and roof, it look good initially, however my truck is parked outside and one side is substantially exposed to southern Californian sun. Plastidip did not withstand that heat and start cracking and chipping off. Right now I am waiting for the stuff to ware off, the side not exposed to direct sunlight hold up just fine. In the future I will either repaint to original color or go for something more UV resistant like Monterliner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom