Builds Shipwreck (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've know a couple of people that hated their cars because the "couldn't" fix something without wasting a paint job.

that's not me, painting is easy and I don't do show cars. the corvette is a good example - I've had several, and this one is the pinnacle of the ones I've had so far. With that said, I'm selling this one and building another because the only changes are going to be wholesale. Currently, I love the suspension, but think rack and pinion would be better - I don't like the aftermarket kits - but I do like how a C4 front suspension can be modified to fit. I couldn't make the decision without living with my car for a couple years. It's certainly not that I'm afraid of the changes, but rather it's money making to build another car. As an aside, I have flares for a C3 Corvette that are reserved for the next car that came about because I smacked the corner of my car (battle scars).

I have these sitting around... I may just have to use them on this one. Their only downside is they're manual rather than power brake - which I can adapt, but we'll see.

which leads me to an issue that I'm going to solve.... foot well space. I know Toyota had to fit what went in there, but their problem isn't mine.
the cover is about 2x too large

notice the amazing amount of room... no one buys a car because it has huge access for the transmission...

I know it seems like a lot of work - but I'm taking 2" out of the cover, and adding it to the floor space. I'm also going to take most of the dip out of the firewall so that I can put a heater behind the dash then smooth the firewall out on the engine compartment...all for a working defroster, I may use vintage air but without the a/c

that will also give me another 2" for my feet
I bolted the flares on

not sure, still, whether or not I'm going to weld them on (probably), but for now, they're in place

I also fixed the t-case shifter

Some people have a theory that the big a$$ trans tunnel is to let under-hood air/heat escape.

On my 48 chevy truck, I made a tight fitting trans tunnel and fought the heat. Related? .....maybe.

Cooling, I don't need no stinkin' cooling

If you've been following along on Project Binky, you'll understand this quip... not the grinder!
yes, the grinder

Nice cover, I've seen people fix these things... I simply cut them up

hopefully not for scrap.

nice floor, eh? all the rust welded up...

what the bloody hell? the cover doesn't fit anymore

almost like the story here.... I read the story of Rusty and thought "oh, it's been years, it's got to be done... uhh :)"

on badobsession.com they are talking about doing another project and giving it away to the people who support the build by donating 10 pounds (16 bucks).... and really, they aren't that far from being done.

I am truly sorry for you. I cannot standing welding another smaller than 14g. But That's some swesome work you've done!

spent part of the day at the wrecking yard - still don't know what I'm going to do for seating.... maybe I should just steal the seat out of my S10 pickup, put the "racing" seats in the S10, not like it'd make any difference... hmm

got a wiring harness for the EFI - what a pain, thanks Regis!

and now it's time to take it apart to weld it up

I'd have had the body off tonight, but one bolt... always one blasted bolt...

We all know that feeling. I do like the set up of the seats. For EFI what computer are you using or are you going to a tuning computer?

So I took Rusty's suggestion and went with MetalFabs' cage (just the front half since I already have an aftermarket rear hoop)... and I think I'll wait until I get it before I lift the body off. I really doubt this body would do anything if I lifted it off now - but why chance it? I've plenty to do on it and on a couple other projects (like put the transmission in my S10)... I think I've decided on the S10 to put Toyota small truck axles under it. I have the rear end, so a front axle and it's good to go.... with that said, there's a kid who has shown interest in cars - so I might convince him to build it for himself (I've got 700 in it - and his parents and my wife and I are good friends... so it's a worthy thing IMO to give it to him provided he puts in the work).

If I do that, I'll use a full size NP208 transfer case... be a nice, bulletproof starter 4x4 for him...

Time to roll the '40 off to the side for a week or two. I am waiting on the other 2 points of the 6 point roll cage and the coil overs - but more importantly the cage because I don't want the body to fold up when I pull it off

but still a bit accomplished beside the shop shuffle
stripped head

weld a nut on

nope
sawzall

rolled it outside to give it a taste of fresh air - just to let it know there is a destination in mind for it

I likee

I POR 15'd the gas tank. I plan on coating the inside as well, though I'm not sure what product I'm going to use. There's also a large part of me that thinks I should do even more floorboard work and put the tank under the floor along with a custom tank... I honestly don't know yet whether that will happen - the other choice would be to box the area above the tank so that it is sealed to the outside. In any case, by lining and coating the tank it will be substantially more safe than it was when I got it.

a bit more work, I had to take a stop and look at the Seften - I think I'm going to sell it - the last week, twice, I needed to tow my Bobcat and can't with anything I have now...

anyway, it's just more money for parts for this
I've now welded as much as I can weld before taking the body off (waiting patiently for Metal fab...)

finished grinding then stripped the cover

and worked on brackets for the fenders

and getting an idea of paint colors... still thinking of the Harley color...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom