Npulver's 71 Fj55 Build "Sea Unicorn" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On a side note, just in case i didnt mention it before.

Welding upside down sucks.

fully welded, ready for a TON of grinding.

ground down, I got in a hurry in a few spots and it warped the metal

I don’t know what you are using to grind your welds but I found Home Depot sells the Diablo's Steel Demon 4-1/2 in. 40-Grit (Ultra coarse) Grinding and Polishing Flap Disc and they kick ass for what you are doing. I was buying some high dollar 36 Grit Flap Disc and going through them quite fast and got in a bind when I ran out on a Sunday so I found these as an emergency substitute but they last so much longer and cut faster than the high dollar wheels I’ve switched over to just using these.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-4...ype-29-Conical-Design-DCX045040N01F/202830903

Looking great!

There might be better out there, but i use Diablo blades in every application.

I don’t know what you are using to grind your welds but I found Home Depot sells the Diablo's Steel Demon 4-1/2 in. 40-Grit (Ultra coarse) Grinding and Polishing Flap Disc and they kick ass for what you are doing. I was buying some high dollar 36 Grit Flap Disc and going through them quite fast and got in a bind when I ran out on a Sunday so I found these as an emergency substitute but they last so much longer and cut faster than the high dollar.

Anything that reduces time grinding is a friend of mine! Will have to look around town and see if I can find that brand, no home Depot here. Otherwise online ordering it is!

Thanks for the heads up! I like flapper better than grinding wheels anyways.[/QUOTE]

Well its in. Have a lot of metal work to fill in gaps. But she's in place!

So the body mount bolt is mounted to the floor pan or is that for something else? I have a rusted hole in my floor, so I don't know how it should look.

There are 2 holes. one dor the body mount and one drain hole when you wash the inside with much water.

What Tatat said. The one hole is for the mount bolt. Goes through the mount and to the frame. Other is just a drain that will get a grommet.

Cruisin' along just singing my song...

Sadly it took me like 2 hours to do that. Lol

Started cranking on the Ole pig hard yesterday. Started off with a snag right away. Lol. Working on the last mount (hardest to get to rear one) and found out the bushing collar is frozen on the bolt.

So i hat to cut the head of the bolt off. Ended up marring the floor a touch. Nothing that's not fixed easily though.

Next was getting the mount chopped out. Without pulling the body off the frame this is extremely tight. I ended up cutting about an inch and a half longer than bobm's mount.

You can see the rot...

After trying to fit cut off wheels in there I gave up and used my Sawzall to make quick work of it. Took a picture of how I cut it through the top side.

Freshly cut out.

Ended there tuesday.

Then on to tonight.

Fixed the over cut on the mount with a good portion I cut off. Welded that on off the vehicle. Then got the mount put in.

Nothing has been ground down yet so you can see the ugly truth of my upside down welding lol.

On the plus side. I can lay some pretty damn nice beads sideways or upright! Lol

Tomorrow I'll drill the bolt hole and get the bushings put in. The undesired will be complete mi us cleanup. Then I get to work on beautifying my screen ups...lol

I wish I was as far along as you are! Nice to see all the progress on the body. That's what I have next and it's easier to jump in head first when you see others doing the same!!
Thanks Tony

I'm trying to document it as well as I can for future people doing this as well. For me it's certainly trickier than the picture make it seem. This is my first go around at body work and know I'm not doing things 100% correct and perfect. However it's just metal, and 10 years down the road I feel like fixing my mistakes, it'll be a lot easier a second time.

Yeah, I think you're doing great. I admire you guys, who jump right in and get it done.

Keep knocking it out!

Did some work tonight. Hate how body work goes so slow. Put two hours in and feel like I have very little to show for it.

Wednesday night (when I had to remove the rocker I had to take this section out again. Wasn't happy with the way it was anyways. So now I'm staring over on it.)

End of tonight. I did other little thing like finish patching the little of the floor that was left, but a solid hour and a half was this.

Was hoping to have the driver side back together fully by this weekend. It's looking bleak. (Back together, not finished)

another 4 hours of progress. For me this was HUGE, i wasnt really sure how well this was going to turn out, and im pretty anal about how my work is (Im kinda OCD/perfectionist) Starts out pretty rough looking, its not "perfect" but considering i had nothing proper to splice in anymore i had to make things work. Lots and Lots of puzzeling....ughhhhh

Friday night

Today (Saturday)

Like i said, its not perfect, the second rib (middle) doesnt hook like it supposed to (which i will correct later) But for piecing it together 3/4 of an inch at a time it turn out decent. I need to pick up a dremel now so i can work on the small corner that my grinders will not get into.

Ran out of Argon on the welder (or close enough anyways) so monday i'll pick up some more argon and keep trucking. Hoping to be at a decent stopping point monday or tuesday, then i can bolt the doors back on and drive it on a nice day hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom