'88 FJ62 6BT swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My toyota line threaded right into the saginaw pump on my engine no issues at all.
I ended up making my own PS lines to incorporate Hydroboost brakes but if you aren't doing that your high pressure line should be ok.

Congrats on the baby too.

Thanks man. Your thread gives me hope, can't wait to see your truck when it's done.

Thanks man. Your thread gives me hope, can't wait to see your truck when it's done.

Hey thanks a lot, I'm just glad its of help for those that want to put a 6BT in their cruiser.

Just ordered my intercooler and piping, $44 for shipping caught me off guard though.

A list of parts required for my IC kit, keep in mind that the core support of the FJ62 is different than that of the FJ60. A 31 inch IC would get in the way of the headlight and grill mounts, so I ordered a 25" bar and plate from cxracing.

Front Mount Intercooler 25"x12"x3", 3" Core: 18"x12"x3", 2.5" Inlet & Outlet 2.5" 90 Degree Turbo Intercooler Black Silicon Hose Coupler 2.5" Long 2
2.5" 45 degree Black Eblow Silicon hose 1
2.5" OD Universal Straight Aluminum Pipe, 2mm Thick Tube, 24" in Length 2
2.5" Straight black Silicon hose for Turbo Intercooler pipe 7.5" Long 1
2.5" T-bolt clamp Supercharger Turbo Intercooler exhaust 6

Next comes the 9 inch axle shafts, drilled to the toyota lug pattern.

Got my IC and parts in today, heading over to get to work!

Question - Does anyone forsee a problem if I simply splice toyota to dodge wiring and toyota to dodge a/c lines to the compressor in order to run my a/c?

I'm running all toyota a/c components except the compressor, and don't think it will be a problem as they're both 12 volt, and as long as I splice the correct hoses together it should be fine.

Just looking for a little input in case someone knows something I don't.

Question - Does anyone forsee a problem if I simply splice toyota to dodge wiring and toyota to dodge a/c lines to the compressor in order to run my a/c?

I'm running all toyota a/c components except the compressor, and don't think it will be a problem as they're both 12 volt, and as long as I splice the correct hoses together it should be fine.

That is exactly what I intend to do. Splice the Toyota clutch signal to the dodge clutch and then have some custom lines made. FYI, I'm running the 6BT accessory setup.

Haven't done it yet, so I'll let you know how it goes!!

Thanks for the reply. Yea, I'm gonna cut the hoses at the fittings, measure inside and outside diameter, then just order the couplers online. Seems to be the most straight forward way to go. Trying to build a bracket for the toyota compressor then deal with the pulley width difference is just too much unnecessary work.

Plumbing for the intercooler's almost done, just have to cut teo holes and weld up the brackets.

Thanks for the reply. Yea, I'm gonna cut the hoses at the fittings, measure inside and outside diameter, then just order the couplers online. Seems to be the most straight forward way to go. Trying to build a bracket for the toyota compressor then deal with the pulley width difference is just too much unnecessary work.

Plumbing for the intercooler's almost done, just have to cut teo holes and weld up the brackets.

What are these couplers you're talking about? Is there a way we can make custom AC lines ourselves?

I was thinking I'd have to farm that work out.

Been following this with much envy.

Yeah, I'd love a 6BT. No, I don't think I'll ever afford it :crybaby:

If you take your time and wait for the right parts/vehicles to come along you could do it pretty cheap.

Example - A rust free (Texas truck) Fj60 I should have bought - $1600
A 1993 Dodge w/ Cummins - $1800
Add in SOA kit, intercooler, re-gear, new exhaust, metal for fabbing, material, brake lines, etc and you add another $1500 on the very low side.

Get an old beat up W250 farm truck and run the dana's under the cruiser, along with the trans and tcase. Easy in the sense you don't need an adapter, gearing's the same, brakes are able to handle it. A little less to worry about at that point.

That's for a bottom end swap, of course you can go as extreme as you want. If you have a place to keep it take your time with it and save as you go. I started in July of 2012, being a fulltime student, on a small budget. I could hae certainly done this project for a LOT less money than I am.

I'm hooked on builds now. I'm set on doing a Fj60/62 VW tdi swap (1.9 alh with at least a stage III kit, which puts the power at 150hp and 270tq) one day before too long. Tried and true motor as long as the timing belt is done regularly, no need for an SOA, the only problem I see is getting an adapter for the transmission.

I will have to agree with FLNewt, it can be done fairly cheaply if you wait to get deals on the parts.
I got my D250 for $1000
14 Bolt for $150
D60 came in the truck with the cummins.

I put $500 into the motor,
Bout $1350 into the axles so far.
Its really not too bad overall its just the little things that can add up quick.

What setup are you using to mount the AC and alternator? Is there room to mount the AC in the stock dodge/ cummins location with the frame rail?

Otherwise, AC control and hoses are pretty straight forward. :cheers:

Long time bump, but I think I have the 3fe from this truck. Do you still have the original engine's serial number? I don't want to be a hassle but I am curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom